Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC: A Discrete Resistor Ladder DAC For $350
Dec 16, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #257 of 564
Somehow I expected something like this. It turns out hardware is hard.

I invested in those 3D headphones that never happened. I also invested in the Ora Graphene phones that are now on indeterminate delay. As I look back over all the crowd-funded stuff I talked myself into, I'm a little alarmed by how many of them still haven't been delivered. It's the risk you take on just to be a little ahead of the curve.

Delayed or cancelled crowdfunding products... Been there, done that, have the credit card debt...

Been there myself too I learned to assume given dates are optimistic estimates at best.

Dec 16, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #258 of 564
Are they waiting to buy my new product and ready to copy again?:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
Because we are planning to ship first DAC around March.
Do you have some pics and info for your new DAC? You have been really quiet lately I thought you have been out of business. :)

Jan 22, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #259 of 564
So, where can I buy one of these? I don't particularly care if it's on Massdrop or elsewhere.... I jsut want to try one ASAP :wink:

Frankly, no one seems to have even discussed whether the product the layout was copied from is even patented/copyrighted? If it's not I see absolutely zero issue in it being copied as the information was online to be used. Unless copyright/patent is pending there's absolutely no reason not to use it.

If there's a link to Sosolars DAC and it can be purchased on eBay, I'd be keen to go that route too.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #260 of 564
The initial drop was delayed until May due to QA issues. No one has received their production DACs yet.

Last I heard, Massdrop offered to have a 3rd party review the designs to see if any IP theft had occurred. Given that the board layout used in the RDAC was open source and available online (and Sosolar now seems to be more interested in promoting his products by claiming theft rather than trying to resolve anything with MD directly), I think the story was blown out of proportion. Obviously, I'm not an electrical engineer so I have no specialty knowledge, but that's just my read of what's been said online.

That delay is a total bummer though. I hope this isn't a bad omen or anything, and that it kicks butt when it does finally ship.

Jan 22, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #261 of 564
From the way it's read to me it was open source so frankly nothing untoward has occurred. Seems scare tactics to me. I did look up the other chaps board though it's listed for a ridiculous $2,000 Australian dollars. I can get a second Gieseler Groß DAC for that and frankly I don't see it competing with that. The thing makes this attractive to me is the price point and the USB interface which will work a good deal between than that in my 16x Phillips TDA1543 DAC (jitter issues).

The thing makes this particularly attractive is the price.

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #262 of 564
Has anyone heard anything about the progress of this DAC? I've lost track. Is it August?

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #266 of 564
Hello!
What do you think, what of the USB cable or what of the type of USB cable would be better to connect to Mac Mini 2018?
Thanks!
I personally bought a used Intona isolator with a short ~10cm cable. The Intona is the best usb fix you can get. $175 in all... But really it is only a small benefit compared to any decent usb cable, it isn't rocket science.
But, the Intona is still far more worth it than just buying an expensive usb cable most are a scam.... don't get a "silver" usb cable lol.

Just my experience.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #267 of 564
I have found there a sonic differences between different USB cables though I found I prefer the cheap $30 Aucharm USB cables on eBay. I do have a silver MS Audio cable though do prefer the Aucharm to it. Differences however are not huge. Similar to changing power cables. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back