Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC: A Discrete Resistor Ladder DAC For $350
Sep 14, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #243 of 564
I've considered getting something like this. How does the sound quality compare to something like the Holo Audio Spring?

The RDac ships in December for the earliest buyers. I doubt anyone can tell you at this point.
You're forgetting several review units have been circulating around... :wink:

I personally never auditioned the Holo Audio Spring, but can tell you that to my non-golden ears, the RDAC is a VERY nice DAC that can easily compete with DAC that cost 3 times (or more). I have compared it to the Metrum Amethyst (cost $1100 or so) and they were VERY close!

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #244 of 564
I've considered getting something like this. How does the sound quality compare to something like the Holo Audio Spring?

I can't answer your question, but you sent me looking for info on the HoloAudio Spring.

Sterophile did a nice review on it in May2018.

I will anxiiously await my Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC; I'm on the Feb delivery cycle.

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #246 of 564
If any December-dropper has no real need for it, sell it to me lol. I was on the drop but my VISA got declined for no real reason. Messaged Massdrop support who just told me I was SOL =(

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #249 of 564
Dec 14, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #250 of 564
Haven't cancelled yet. I sincerely hope it's a success. Yes, the R2R-11 exists, but in general I would hope for more RDACs to get some mainstream love. If it isn't a runaway success, it has cult gear written all over it.

Dec 14, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #252 of 564
Agreed. Or if there's another drop with no wait. #InstantGratification :wink:

Dec 15, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #253 of 564
Somehow I expected something like this. It turns out hardware is hard.

I invested in those 3D headphones that never happened. I also invested in the Ora Graphene phones that are now on indeterminate delay. As I look back over all the crowd-funded stuff I talked myself into, I'm a little alarmed by how many of them still haven't been delivered. It's the risk you take on just to be a little ahead of the curve.

Dec 15, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #254 of 564
Somehow I expected something like this. It turns out hardware is hard.

I invested in those 3D headphones that never happened. I also invested in the Ora Graphene phones that are now on indeterminate delay. As I look back over all the crowd-funded stuff I talked myself into, I'm a little alarmed by how many of them still haven't been delivered. It's the risk you take on just to be a little ahead of the curve.
Delayed or cancelled crowdfunding products... Been there, done that, have the credit card debt...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back