Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC: A Discrete Resistor Ladder DAC For $350
Jun 4, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #19 of 564
Aw crud. I'm just gonna end up getting this anyways. I really want an R-2R DAC for the living room, where I want to do most of my listening at home, tbh. And I don't want to spend a lot of money for obvious reasons. After reading some early reviews, this will fit the bill nicely. I was crowing about HDMI earlier in the thread but I'll be more than fine with coax.

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #20 of 564
Interesting, this is going to be a busy Massdrop event.
Yep. I just hope the R-DAC doesn’t become a one-and-done release like the LCX. It should be continuously available like the CTH has been.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #21 of 564
Good point, it does make comparisons more tricky. You can always attenuate a bit using a quality software solution (Roon etc), though that still doesn't help as far as knowing exactly when you've hit 2V.
Has to be a hardware solution for 2.5V -> 2.0V for me, since I am driving 2 DACs from the same Gustard U12 (for those unfamiliar, it is very similar to Schiit Eitr). Cannot control them individually.
So, @project86 - I agree with you that the comparison is very tricky. My brain keeps telling me: this RDAC is better than the Amethyst. That may be true, but to "prove" it - I would need to have both DACs output at same voltage level...
Having said that, if I am not directly A/B those 2 DACs - they both sound great!
At this point, for anyone who's looking for a sub-$1000 DAC, I would say BUY this little guy. Totally worth it :)
A while back when I bought my Amethyst, I have A/B it with Gumby, and the difference was almost inaudible (in favor of Amethyst, IMHO). So, I would venture and say the RDAC is on same level (or slightly better than) Gumby, granted it is only SE and have some connectivity compromises.

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #22 of 564
Has to be a hardware solution for 2.5V -> 2.0V for me, since I am driving 2 DACs from the same Gustard U12 (for those unfamiliar, it is very similar to Schiit Eitr). Cannot control them individually.
So, @project86 - I agree with you that the comparison is very tricky. My brain keeps telling me: this RDAC is better than the Amethyst. That may be true, but to "prove" it - I would need to have both DACs output at same voltage level...
Having said that, if I am not directly A/B those 2 DACs - they both sound great!
At this point, for anyone who's looking for a sub-$1000 DAC, I would say BUY this little guy. Totally worth it :)
A while back when I bought my Amethyst, I have A/B it with Gumby, and the difference was almost inaudible (in favor of Amethyst, IMHO). So, I would venture and say the RDAC is on same level (or slightly better than) Gumby, granted it is only SE and have some connectivity compromises.

You could use a pre-amp such as the Schiit Saga in the non-tube mode or a 2nd amp with pre-amp function to match the levels between the 2 DACs.

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #23 of 564
You could use a pre-amp such as the Schiit Saga in the non-tube mode or a 2nd amp with pre-amp function to match the levels between the 2 DACs.
Saga is probably an overkill, but maybe Schiit SYS would work! Thanks.

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #26 of 564
Subbed. Gonna grab some popcorn.

Jun 5, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #28 of 564
I'm probably going to buy this to pair with my CTH & if it ever drops again the LCX for my endgame source setup, but one thing that worries me is that it's single ended. Given the LCX's balanced out, would a single ended DAC hinder it?

Jun 5, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #29 of 564
Jun 5, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #30 of 564
I'm tempted to get one to test vs my a2 Yggy. This is $2k less and I wonder if the Yggy sounds $2k better. I've never approached my audio experience with a value to cost mindset but maybe I should start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back