Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 27, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #2,521 of 6,783
  I am like that too normally.  Do I feel good listening to this, or don't I?  

Well, today was the day that they seemed to take another step forward.  I had some songs on in the background, and all of a sudden I was drawn to the ride cymbals....they were sublime*.  With most headphones you hear the ride cymbal that can sound like it is overlaid with white noise, but today they seemed to shimmer with a bell-like clarity that defied comprehension*.  I couldn't believe there was such a change and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't just hearing things, so I played the same tracks on one of my brand new sets.  Sure enough, the old set was much more clear and resolving from top to bottom than the new ones, and it sounded like there was a hashy sound to the cymbals in the same passages.  Bass was MIA in comparison, too.

I do agree that early on (under 50-60 hours?) they sound very good but not great, but once you reach that certain point, you will know it.  I now know that I've hit that point.  And that was from a measly Fiio E1 hanging off a 4th gen iPod Touch....nowhere near the home rig.  And I was happy living with that.

Young Feller, you just earned your first HYPE STRYPE and promotion to Lance Corporal!
Yer a gonna go furr in the service o' these here Mikros 90, Boy!!!
Report to Field General, Herr SFWalcer, immediately!
SALUTE!! 

*These get cataloged as official entries in the Summer 2014 Edition of MikrosHYPE, and will be permanently enshrined in the Mikros 90 HYPE Lexicon.

Nice job, Son.

[Git 'em on yer home rig: they'll defy even more comprehension that you thought wasn't there.]

beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #2,522 of 6,783

I am like that too normally.  Do I feel good listening to this, or don't I?  

Well, today was the day that they seemed to take another step forward.  I had some songs on in the background, and all of a sudden I was drawn to the ride cymbals....they were sublime.  With most headphones you hear the ride cymbal that can sound like it is overlaid with white noise, but today they seemed to shimmer with a bell-like clarity that defied comprehension.  I couldn't believe there was such a change and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't just hearing things, so I played the same tracks on one of my brand new sets.  Sure enough, the old set was much more clear and resolving from top to bottom than the new ones, and it sounded like there was a hashy sound to the cymbals in the same passages.  Bass was MIA in comparison, too.

I do agree that early on (under 50-60 hours?) they sound very good but not great, but once you reach that certain point, you will know it.  I now know that I've hit that point.  And that was from a measly Fiio E1 hanging off a 4th gen iPod Touch....nowhere near the home rig.  And I was happy living with that.

Awesome stuff! And a timely post, as I was just thinking about the same things. Mine are only at around 40 hours, so it's nice to see further confirmation that they age well. Are you going to be doing the bass mods?

I concur with elvergun: stock, the MLs have ample, deep, articulate bass--some of the best deep bass pitch I have ever experienced.
Bassheads usually crave the midbass hump, I think.
The modded Mikros 90 deliver a full court press, with richer bass from top to bottom.  Not just an over-emphasis/coloration--midbass bulge--somewhere along the way.  

For me so far (40 hours), the bass is very nice and detailed and adequate. But yes, I still think that I would prefer the "full court press - richer bass from top to bottom" treatment. I just threw in my M200 iems, and the bass is gorgeous and enveloping, and I like that a lot. So, I will let the 90's burn in some more and then dive in with the mods :)

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #2,523 of 6,783
  Well.. I found a good deal on Grado cups. It's what has me really inclined toward the stratoKOSSter cause I don't wanna lose them. I could just buy those and keep them for later in the future...

I still am quite interested by the M90 tbh. I just have too many options and too little info on mainly the M90 vs stratoKOSSter. Do any of the over-ear mods for the M90 work well? Also, @bhazard you did say that even though the M90 does not rival the HE-500, it is quite good. How good? Could you expand on those thoughts?

Thanks everyone, lol

SKEE-DADDLE, Son.
There will be a pair of Mikros 90 waiting here for you after you come to your senses and the market dries up.
For about $300 . . . 
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #2,525 of 6,783
You know, I'm probably just gonna buy them and if I'm disappointed, I will be very disappointed in the head-fi community--specifically this thread
evil_smiley.gif

Though I would buy them when I can afford them :3 which is almost exactly a month.

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #2,526 of 6,783
  For me so far (40 hours), the bass is very nice and detailed and adequate. But yes, I still think that I would prefer the "full court press - richer bass from top to bottom" treatment. I just threw in my M200 iems, and the bass is gorgeous and enveloping, and I like that a lot. So, I will let the 90's burn in some more and then dive in with the mods :)

Man, you must be a bass-head or something. I'm listening at the 1 hour 6 min mark of the below Airwave trance tune, and the bass is big, bold and beautiful. You want more bass? What the heck are you talking about?
https://soundcloud.com/laurentairwave/progrez-the-lcd-sessions-5
(this is such a strange thread, I figured it would be okay to talk with myself)

Edit: I see that I had my C&C BH's "LF" switch on, which is some sort of a voodoo bass boost. Actually ClieOS reports that this is the graph for the LF switch:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review/3090#post_10257830

Sounds pretty fantastic with the 90's! Maybe I am a basshead after all lol

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #2,528 of 6,783
Well... 
After trying to realistically reallocating my budget to conform with life-needs and such, I ended up having to axe about 99% of my monthly personal spending (read: headphone spending) allotment. 
In light of such a drastic change, I rearranged my "to-buy" list and almost everything went to the backburner.  
I planned on only buying HD6XX's (still undecided as to which one) and a bottlehead crack (with the speedball) to get me by for a couple years.

And then I found this thread. 
Now I'm getting these.
Thanks.

The last hype-train I boarded was a rip-roaring success though (JVC HA-S500's) and so I'm pretty excited for this. 
It'll be awhile before I can actually get the headphones (a family member got them for my birthday in march), but I'll report back with my own impressions as soon as I have them.

Also, grabbing the Pipeline ET-4's and the Auvio cables. 
Are there any other cables that are good enough to warrant consideration? 
I don't need bass-monsters (I have a pair of D1100's for that) so clarity and control are what I'm looking for here.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #2,529 of 6,783

Quote:
  LOL!
Now, that's PRECIOUS!!!!

Thought you might like that.  I have bought my ticket on the Mikros train...first class compartment...but I am not giving up on my P5's.  At least not yet...gonna try Lorspeaker's tweek.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #2,530 of 6,783

The last hype-train I boarded was a rip-roaring success though (JVC HA-S500's) and so I'm pretty excited for this. 
It'll be awhile before I can actually get the headphones (a family member got them for my birthday in march), but I'll report back with my own impressions as soon as I have them.

^ Oh man if you thought those JVC S500s deserves their hype then these Logans are gonna' take you to another universe. : P

Great call meng, you no doubt made the right one. I made my bones with those S500s. hoho
evil_smiley.gif

Congrats!!!
beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #2,531 of 6,783

Yes, that is sibilance. I hear it with the Mikros, and to a bit lesser degree with the M500's, and I don't hear it with the X1's. I don't encounter sibilance like that hardly ever from my music collection thankfully. She has a nice voice, but I guess if I listened to it all of the time, I might get a bit annoyed with it.

Side note: I am listening to that video now with my X1's, and I can actually feel my earlobes vibrating lol. Never noticed that effect before. Maybe it has something to do with having just had the 90's pressing against my ears for the last few hours.

it might not be sibilance...its brightness.. concentrated clarity. until your setup can separate it, spread it out in depth,
thats when it becomes magical.  Something like a T1, some hear it as sharp..bright..some get transfixed.

Early this week, when i took out my T1,  i was shocked i was not as WOWed as b4...
i used to think the T1 tesla drivers are CLARION...
but the Mikros puts me on a higher expectation plane ...err train since :p.

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #2,532 of 6,783

it might not be sibilance...its brightness.. concentrated clarity. until your setup can separate it, spread it out in depth,
thats when it becomes magical.  Something like a T1, some hear it as sharp..bright..some get transfixed.

Early this week, when i took out my T1,  i was shocked i was not as WOWed as b4...
i used to think the T1 tesla drivers are CLARION...
but the Mikros puts me on a higher expectation plane ...err train since :p.

You might be onto something Lorspeaker. Curious: did you listen to that particular song? 

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #2,533 of 6,783
So... $16 drivers are this linear. I think I'mma make the stratoKOSSter first... haha
The whole mod should cost roughly $60 so yeah.
http://gyazo.com/81cca6276f33eaeb42b9bbcac45c04d6

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #2,534 of 6,783

^ Oh man if you thought those JVC S500s deserves their hype then these Logans are gonna' take you to another universe. : P

Great call meng, you no doubt made the right one. I made my bones with those S500s. hoho
evil_smiley.gif

Congrats!!!
beerchug.gif

Yup, yup and yup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back