Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 27, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #2,506 of 6,783
  If you read through this thread in its entirety--and I know it is on a Tolstoy-ian rate of expansion--you will see discussion about the apparently contradictory early reports on the Mikros 90.  

We have narrowed it down to:
(a) improper headphone placement 
(b) poor recordings/sources
(c) ambient noise about the audition kiosks.
In that order.

Unfortunate, because it gave most people the erroneous initial impression that the MLs weren't worth it.  Look at craigsters post on this thread.  His was indicative of the "early bad press" about the Mikros 90.

Anyone who has spent any serious, extended amount of time with the Mikros 90--even DoctorJazz--cannot say that the MLs are "bass-light".  After the bass mod, these can crush you in the low end.  Ask Maxx or Lors.

They are also very revealing of ANYTHING upstream...

And, even before a mod, stock! I have always felt from the very first listen that the Mikros 90 has a crap ton of bass. I can't fathom how they're considered by some as bass light unless the pads don't sit correctly on their particular ear shape no matter how they situate the cups, and therefore maybe it's impossible for those people to get the best coupling with the ears...

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #2,507 of 6,783
Well.. I found a good deal on Grado cups. It's what has me really inclined toward the stratoKOSSter cause I don't wanna lose them. I could just buy those and keep them for later in the future...

I still am quite interested by the M90 tbh. I just have too many options and too little info on mainly the M90 vs stratoKOSSter. Do any of the over-ear mods for the M90 work well? Also, @bhazard you did say that even though the M90 does not rival the HE-500, it is quite good. How good? Could you expand on those thoughts?

Thanks everyone, lol

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #2,509 of 6,783
Feb 27, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #2,511 of 6,783
  Actually, could you please give us a link to the frequency graph?  I have asked Martin Logan for one, but was told they don't have a graph.

After looking it up again, the person said that the equipment or something must've been wrong because it didn't match what he heard. And I did link it before, but because it was on *a website that cannot be named?* it was deleted...

I really wish purrin could get a pair for testing..

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #2,512 of 6,783
  ^ Dat realism though. 

Ya'll are funny, just like how trunks was comparing his WIDE OPEN Sony 900s and saying how those has a much bigger soundstage, etc  etc etc welp no 'ish Sherlock, these Logans is a lil' tiny close back portable, so by even saying that they can competitively compete with those full size cans and can more than hang with them is already EXTREMELY telling how well this lil' sucka performs.

Oh c'mon meng, you are talking about OVER HYPED??? Those Pissss_ poor tons. Nuff said. Tyme to let them go meng real or fake they don't really deserve the hype. Those TEAC ZE-1000s is what should get the "Discovery" crown. Those Piss_tons are half the price of these Logans now, and the Logans whopped them silly on all fronts. Even the Nuforce NE700X does, you should really check those out cuz it puts the Pistons into proper perspective tbh.

So check your hype as well, and i should know cuz i run the thread on HYPE. : P
http://www.head-fi.org/t/683007/the-hype-appreciation-thread

+
^
Looks like we got a lil' mutiny brewing, behead it before it grows outta' control!!! Kill it with FYRE!!!

^ Nice now you get a lil' treat with these Logans as well. WIN WIN!!! Who can say no to Cheetos??? LMAO

^ Nice glad you like it that much. Sorry meng about those TEACs cuz i tried to get a 2nd set myself but the seller over sold and refunded me my 2nd purchase. : (

Dat one mofo that cleared him out cleared him out REAL GUD and REAL FAST!!!
triportsad.gif

Ass hats like that ruins it for everyone, sigh.

Hope to see them for $30 again as well.

More peps needs to hear them.

^ No need to worry, they might be getting off dat train but i gots my Troll Train ready to go. hoho

There is no ESCAPE!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

.... ALL ABOARD!!!

^ NO ONE CURRRRRS!!!
tongue.gif

Literally SPLITTING MY SIDES!!!!
SF has been promoted to Field General on this one, with elevergun his Adjutant 

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #2,513 of 6,783

And, even before a mod, stock! I have always felt from the very first listen that the Mikros 90 has a crap ton of bass. I can't fathom how they're considered by some as bass light unless the pads don't sit correctly on their particular ear shape no matter how they situate the cups, and therefore maybe it's impossible for those people to get the best coupling with the ears...

The crazy thing is that anyone who finds the Mikros light in bass is probably a basshead. 

Many in this thread have stated that this is a reference type headphone.   Reference headphones are balanced and do not have tons of bass.  So why are bassheads looking for monster bass out of this model?   Were these people expecting the headphone to magically change its signature to  match their tastes?   

It’s like someone buying an MDR-XB700 and then complaining that they have too much bass.

What's even more crazy is that the Mikros does have plenty of bass.  The 90s are bass cannons compared to something like the K702.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #2,514 of 6,783
  Actually, could you please give us a link to the frequency graph?  I have asked Martin Logan for one, but was told they don't have a graph.

I'm a novice speaker builder, and even I have the equipment to measure FR for speakers. There is no way a company of ML's size doesn't have equipment to test FR on the equipment they design. That person just doesn't have access to it, or doesn't want to give it out.

The only graph posted is from a banned site, and may have come from a defective pair. Would love to see goldenears or another site post one.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #2,515 of 6,783
I love this thread. No new threads allowed.
mad.gif

Me, too.
It has great historical significance and maintains a continuum of development, e.g. craigsters nay-saying juxtaposed with practically everyone else's marked satisfaction with the Mikros 90.
I would not want to lose that.
Nor fail to acknowledge the OP's prophetic foresight in even opening the thread itself.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #2,516 of 6,783

The crazy thing is that anyone who finds the Mikros light in bass is probably a basshead. 

Many in this thread have stated that this is a reference type headphone.   Reference headphones are balanced and do not have tons of bass.  So why are bassheads looking for monster bass out of this model?   Were these people expecting the headphone to magically change its signature to  match their tastes?   

It’s like someone buying an MDR-XB700 and then complaining that they have too much bass.

What's even more crazy is that the Mikros does have plenty of bass.  The 90s are bass cannons compared to something like the K702.

I concur with cn11, elvergun and many others: stock, the MLs have ample, deep, articulate bass--some of the best deep bass pitch I have ever experienced.
Bassheads usually crave the midbass hump, I think.
The modded Mikros 90 deliver a full court press, with richer bass from top to bottom.  Not just an over-emphasis/coloration--midbass bulge--somewhere along the way.  

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #2,517 of 6,783
  I'm a novice speaker builder, and even I have the equipment to measure FR for speakers. There is no way a company of ML's size doesn't have equipment to test FR on the equipment they design. That person just doesn't have access to it, or doesn't want to give it out.

The only graph posted is from a banned site, and may have come from a defective pair. Would love to see goldenears or another site post one.

More likely, they decided not to release it.
TBH, I really don't understand Martin Logan's apparent nonchalance about the Mikros 90, either.  It looks like they have a chance to bring an eventual money-maker to the market, but seem disinterested, still bent, apparently, on completely pulling the Mikros 90 and any subsequent headphone designs from the headphone community as well.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #2,518 of 6,783
Then guys please upvote my request for a FR chart I asked on InnerFi :p    
Hail SF! Tell him to steer this trollytrain over to 
 http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-requests?page=1

post #90

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #2,519 of 6,783

I hear ya. I'm probably more about my preferred sound signature than details. I think that once I do the bass mods on the 90's though, I'll have the best of both worlds.

I am like that too normally.  Do I feel good listening to this, or don't I?  

Well, today was the day that they seemed to take another step forward.  I had some songs on in the background, and all of a sudden I was drawn to the ride cymbals....they were sublime.  With most headphones you hear the ride cymbal that can sound like it is overlaid with white noise, but today they seemed to shimmer with a bell-like clarity that defied comprehension.  I couldn't believe there was such a change and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't just hearing things, so I played the same tracks on one of my brand new sets.  Sure enough, the old set was much more clear and resolving from top to bottom than the new ones, and it sounded like there was a hashy sound to the cymbals in the same passages.  Bass was MIA in comparison, too.

I do agree that early on (under 50-60 hours?) they sound very good but not great, but once you reach that certain point, you will know it.  I now know that I've hit that point.  And that was from a measly Fiio E1 hanging off a 4th gen iPod Touch....nowhere near the home rig.  And I was happy living with that.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #2,520 of 6,783

Hey now, I partially agree with most of your statement.

Just be careful not to be one sided here, you forgot that some of the people here are listening to the mikros in either

1. A loud environment
2. Bad fit
3. and the most gamebreaker of all, the sources

I belong to 2 and 3 as doctorjazz does. Some others here might be just bassheads who might be ignorant to plentiful bass, but there is also the chance that they're listening to terrible sources like out of a laptop, ipad, and such and such.

That is why I don't comment on how people perceive sound, it indefinitely varies.

That is the most gargantuan (imo of course) characteristic of reference headphones that I abhor sometimes.

If I want plentiful bass, I need to find good sources while having a good fit with these, just like IEMS.

The im-02s work the same way, which can suck as these have enough bass on stock form at my desktop, just like the martin logans. However, my library of music does not entail much bass sometimes, which is why reference headphones can sometimes make me pretty disappointed as I do not get to hear the awesomeness of their tight, textural, visceral, fluffly bass that I don't usually hear.

@pataburd 

Also, about that deal we had going on yesterday, regarding my punishment that is, I say....

I'll joyously take that offer! Just give me time to find a third pair of the sad mikros somewhere, probably alone and in deep reflection about its terrible performance against those he-500s. 
tongue.gif

Alright, let's move on with this hype!

and if no one wants to do it...

WE WILL MAKE YOU DO IT! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

impck.gif

MINI HYPE TRAIN AS A START!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back