Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 27, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #2,536 of 6,783

You might be onto something Lorspeaker. Curious: did you listen to that particular song? 

Mary Poppins?  
tongue_smile.gif

I was popping in n out of this thread thats racing away... its a youtube? 
Never tot this Mikros is sibilant..right now, its flowing beautifully the music..
just on my stock cable...v moda cable...ipad sansa tube amps..regular gears.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #2,537 of 6,783

Mary Poppins?  
tongue_smile.gif

I was popping in n out of this thread thats racing away... its a youtube? 
Never tot this Mikros is sibilant..right now, its flowing beautifully the music..
just on my stock cable...v moda cable...ipad sansa tube amps..regular gears.

Here ya go:

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #2,538 of 6,783
when u guys dive under that hole....
remember my suggested mods are quick impressions/imaginations,
as i place the drawer-thrash into the cups.
Its an aid to get u started, initiated..hyped up.. :p
your mileage might, your ears will differ,
feel free to tweak/dampen/reconfigure some more ..
UNTIL u are SATISFIED...
then report back.

If u abandon it after some failures....
u are a  ...( i cover my eyes..)

I am into my umpteenth variations...
think i like what i am hearing.
but its perculiar to my gears, 
so i wont hype about it...:p

NOBODY STONE ME PLS.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #2,539 of 6,783

Here ya go:

I KNEW THAT NAME AND FACE WAS FAMILIAR!

did you hear this one from her?

heard this in the discovery thread a while ago, posted it and hoped people knew about it. :)

She did the cover of Falling Slowly - Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (Once)

with her partner, I was able to hear the Deep thick throat of his with the sony-h3s.

No other earphone or headphone could replicate that, it amazed me...

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #2,540 of 6,783

Here ya go:

Her vocals sounded pretty sharp..ssszz sszzz...
the bass in the foreground, thumps solidly on my moddedMikros. ( go dig that hole !!! )
think its the recording...i have more than 1 T byte of music...hardly any sounded like this "sibilant".
Or she chose to have it recorded this way..first time i am hearing her..
but this is youtube, so i wont make a call unless i hear the actual recording.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #2,541 of 6,783
The mikros isn't the only headphone that has the sharp sssss or zzzz

it is the recording itself. I concur with lorspeaker, I heard this with the song I linked to you wayne.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #2,542 of 6,783

Her vocals sounded pretty sharp..ssszz sszzz...
the bass in the foreground, thumps solidly on my moddedMikros. ( go dig that hole !!! )
think its the recording...i have more than 1 T byte of music...hardly any sounded like this "sibilant".
Or she chose to have it recorded this way..first time i am hearing her..
but this is youtube, so i wont make a call unless i hear the actual recording.

Yup, I concur. Like I said, I had never heard anything like that in my music collection.

Btw, which of your bass mods should I do?

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #2,543 of 6,783
start with the first...and work your way down,
by the 4th mod, u will know where the sweetspot for your taste will be...
it could be a hybrid of what i posted..
its discovery time, just get IN.

also do open your drawers m see if there are any stray thrash u could creatively use.
seashells...chewing gums...plastercine...erazers... cottonbuds..
toss them in...see what happens.

============

what i try to listen for....
tight thumping bass, controlled resonance, bass that doesnt sustain too long in the air..
depth of soundstage maintained..without being muzzled/blocked..think clear open sky...hear-thru sound projection.
abit of organicity, without being too hardbrittle of a bashing.

if u try enuf times, u will get a drift of what i am trying to describe here...and work it to your taste.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #2,544 of 6,783
Update on the Pipeline Cables, there is definitely 2 variations of OD on the connector, Pata sent me 4 to modify, all exactly like my own, a larger OD with a red inner plastic layer that is revealed when about 2.5 mm is removed, the smaller diameter version required much less material removed, only about 1 mm, I went a bit over, but never exposed the red center. The smaller OD version was sent to me by doctorjazz.  The 1st 4 were mailed out this morning to they're prospective owners, should arrive soon, and I will have doctorjazz's cable in the mail in the mornimng.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #2,545 of 6,783
Thanks @Lorspeader - sounds like a good plan. I'll probably embark this weekend (by then they will have approx 80 hours on them).

Btw, I'm listening to Daft Punk now. I'm almost afraid to get more bass happening on these puppies now lol!

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #2,546 of 6,783
  Update on the Pipeline Cables, there is definitely 2 variations of OD on the connector, Pata sent me 4 to modify, all exactly like my own, a larger OD with a red inner plastic layer that is revealed when about 2.5 mm is removed, the smaller diameter version required much less material removed, only about 1 mm, I went a bit over, but never exposed the red center. The smaller OD version was sent to me by doctorjazz.  The 1st 4 were mailed out this morning to they're prospective owners, should arrive soon, and I will have doctorjazz's cable in the mail in the mornimng.

Thanks Predator...and Pataburd!!!

beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #2,547 of 6,783

Awesome! Can't wait to hear what the new cable does to the Mikros

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #2,548 of 6,783
  when u guys dive under that hole....
remember my suggested mods are quick impressions/imaginations,
as i place the drawer-thrash into the cups.
Its an aid to get u started, initiated..hyped up.. :p
your mileage might, your ears will differ,
feel free to tweak/dampen/reconfigure some more ..
UNTIL u are SATISFIED...
then report back.

If u abandon it after some failures....
u are a  ...( i cover my eyes..)

I am into my umpteenth variations...
think i like what i am hearing.
but its perculiar to my gears, 
so i wont hype about it...:p

NOBODY STONE ME PLS.

I DID IT.
Used dynamat instead cause that's what I had lying around. Can definetly hear more power in the bass, but its still very nicely defined, as I feel the bass boost is in the lowest frequencies allowing the mikros to maintain its excellent PRaT. Listening to "Fotografia" by Yiruma, the mod gives a better sense of weight to the piano, but the articulation is still on point, with notes being able to soar and dive effortlessly. While the piano does seem meatier, it does sound like its in a larger room.

"Ivy" by I The Mighty, a very melodic hardcore band (more shouty than screaming, but more singing than either, it's pretty tasteful imo), it starts with a beautiful mash up of the drums and guitars, and with the mod everything sounds beautifully snappy and well defined, I can't get enough of this band to begin with, and the Mikros makes it a much more satisfying experience for me.

This mod also gives a much more grand sense of scale to large orchestra pieces. One worth mentioning would be "The Shadow of The Past" by composer Howard Shore. This song from the Lord of the Rings through this modded mikros sounds nothing short of epic. The sense of scale and emotion is chilling, making this song almost frightening to listen to in a dark room at night T_T

Still getting used to describing sound, but what I can say is that this mod is worthy of trying.

Great work Lors and Maxxx!

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #2,549 of 6,783
  I DID IT.
Used dynamat instead cause that's what I had lying around. Can definetly hear more power in the bass, but its still very nicely defined, as I feel the bass boost is in the lowest frequencies allowing the mikros to maintain its excellent PRaT. Listening to "Fotografia" by Yiruma, the mod gives a better sense of weight to the piano, but the articulation is still on point, with notes being able to soar and dive effortlessly. While the piano does seem meatier, it does sound like its in a larger room.

"Ivy" by I The Mighty, a very melodic hardcore band (more shouty than screaming, but more singing than either, it's pretty tasteful imo), it starts with a beautiful mash up of the drums and guitars, and with the mod everything sounds beautifully snappy and well defined, I can't get enough of this band to begin with, and the Mikros makes it a much more satisfying experience for me.

This mod also gives a much more grand sense of scale to large orchestra pieces. One worth mentioning would be "The Shadow of The Past" by composer Howard Shore. This song from the Lord of the Rings through this modded mikros sounds nothing short of epic. The sense of scale and emotion is chilling, making this song almost frightening to listen to in a dark room at night T_T

Still getting used to describing sound, but what I can say is that this mod is worthy of trying.

Great work Lors and Maxxx!

wow...u dived in..!!  And u picked words out of my mind that i couldnt express better. U are a grand Hypist !!! hehehe

i dun hav dynamite in my drawers...the next time u open it up again do take some fotos. 
i will giv it a shot if the dynamite comes my way :p

Is it easy to unpeel those stickystuff? i heard its sticky..i havent eyeball one yet..lolz.

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #2,550 of 6,783
  wow...u dived in..!!  
i dun hav dynamite in my drawers...the next time u open it up again do take some fotos. 
i will giv it a shot if the dynamite comes my way :p

Is it easy to unpeel those stickystuff? i heard its sticky..i havent eyeball one yet..lolz.

Its not easy, but it does come off. 
Originally, I planned to keep the covering for the hole, but I tore that because I wasn't patient enough 
tongue_smile.gif
, but I will sometime, I have to do a little more tuning anyways. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back