Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 28, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #2,551 of 6,783
  start with the first...and work your way down,
by the 4th mod, u will know where the sweetspot for your taste will be...
it could be a hybrid of what i posted..
its discovery time, just get IN.

also do open your drawers m see if there are any stray thrash u could creatively use.
seashells...chewing gums...plastercine...erazers... cottonbuds..
toss them in...see what happens.

^ Somehow i don't think you are joking.
tongue_smile.gif

Update on the Pipeline Cables, there is definitely 2 variations of OD on the connector, Pata sent me 4 to modify, all exactly like my own, a larger OD with a red inner plastic layer that is revealed when about 2.5 mm is removed, the smaller diameter version required much less material removed, only about 1 mm, I went a bit over, but never exposed the red center. The smaller OD version was sent to me by doctorjazz.  The 1st 4 were mailed out this morning to they're prospective owners, should arrive soon, and I will have doctorjazz's cable in the mail in the mornimng.

+

Thanks Predator...and Pataburd!!!

beerchug.gif

+
  Awesome! Can't wait to hear what the new cable does to the Mikros

^ Like everyone has already said BIG THANKS to Preda' & Pata' for the cable hook ups!!! Can't wait, hyped!!!
beerchug.gif

I DID IT.
Used dynamat instead cause that's what I had lying around. Can definetly hear more power in the bass, but its still very nicely defined, as I feel the bass boost is in the lowest frequencies allowing the mikros to maintain its excellent PRaT. Listening to "Fotografia" by Yiruma, the mod gives a better sense of weight to the piano, but the articulation is still on point, with notes being able to soar and dive effortlessly. While the piano does seem meatier, it does sound like its in a larger room.

"Ivy" by I The Mighty, a very melodic hardcore band (more shouty than screaming, but more singing than either, it's pretty tasteful imo), it starts with a beautiful mash up of the drums and guitars, and with the mod everything sounds beautifully snappy and well defined, I can't get enough of this band to begin with, and the Mikros makes it a much more satisfying experience for me.

This mod also gives a much more grand sense of scale to large orchestra pieces. One worth mentioning would be "The Shadow of The Past" by composer Howard Shore. This song from the Lord of the Rings through this modded mikros sounds nothing short of epic. The sense of scale and emotion is chilling, making this song almost frightening to listen to in a dark room at night T_T

Still getting used to describing sound, but what I can say is that this mod is worthy of trying.

Great work Lors and Maxxx!

^ Pics or it didn't happen.
tongue.gif

Congrats, might be getting some of that in the near future as well. So i can TNT mod bomb these mofos.
ksc75smile.gif

But i is a mod wimp!!!
ph34r.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #2,552 of 6,783

Congrats, might be getting some of that in the near future as well. So i can TNT mod bomb these mofos.
ksc75smile.gif

But i is a mod wimp!!!
ph34r.gif

No way! Just look at how deftly you handled them hoes!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/2805#post_9848776

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #2,553 of 6,783

No way! Just look at how deftly you handled them hoes!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/2805#post_9848776

^ Those hoes are a different story, different day. : P

Doesn't require opening the Pandora's Box Hole. Hence all my mod experiences in the pass has been mostly cosmetic. haha
biggrin.gif

Looks like i have been outed.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #2,554 of 6,783
I iz worst mod wimp though. Haven't even done asthetic mods, so at least you have some courage to try something new!

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #2,555 of 6,783
Man, you guys are wimps! Take the pads off, 3 screws, take that tape off, stick in the felt and blu tac and you are DONE!

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #2,557 of 6,783
Man, you guys are wimps! Take the pads off, 3 screws, take that tape off, stick in the felt and blu tac and you are DONE!

And if we don't like the sound? :frowning2:

Can we revert to normal as if nothing happened?!

That and this is the only pair of mikros I have at the moment, lol.

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #2,558 of 6,783

^ Oh thats right, hey everyone lets all gather around and poke fun of vlenbo's wimpy moddsterness.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate and diverting the blame.
tongue.gif

weak sauce...

you're welcome I think? 
redface.gif
  I think empathy is a terrible course of action to take when it involves you and your threatening gifs!

Still weak sauce...
tongue.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #2,559 of 6,783

^ Masa' WAYNE is so brave and manly. MAH GAWD!!!
redface.gif

Wait till he breaks his only pair of Logans then who's gonna be the wimp. haha

... not so manly now huh??? : P

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #2,560 of 6,783
Vlenbo, easily reversible. And almost zero chance of breaking them. I'm a modding wimp as well, but these ones are a piece of cake. Grabbing some blue tac tomorrow...

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #2,562 of 6,783
Ditto. :p

I'll find some leather as well, thanks wayne. 

Does anyone here ever have the harman kardons? Do the mods work with it as well? If not, I'll be the first to find out once shophq restocks.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #2,563 of 6,783
  When I run the frequency sweeps with the MLs, they are still pretty flat at 24hZ.

The Mikros are better than the Pro 80. The Pro 80 extends deeper bass wise and is more comfortable, but the Mikros is better with everything else.

Weird that you should say that - there is definitely a disconnect here somewhere. Pada claims his mikros extend to 24Hz. I can tell you right now with a sinewave in my pro80s at 28hz and it is not even audible, if I really concentrate and stop typing I can hear the ever so slight base somewhere. The pro80s start tapering off in volume at around 34Hz to my ears - somewhere around 30-34 there is a significant difference and further down is just not audible at all. Sweeping between 30 and 27 is where it goes from audible to not audible here.

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #2,564 of 6,783
Weird that you should say that - there is definitely a disconnect here somewhere. Pada claims his mikros extend to 24Hz. I can tell you right now with a sinewave in my pro80s at 28hz and it is not even audible, if I really concentrate and stop typing I can hear the ever so slight base somewhere. The pro80s start tapering off in volume at around 34Hz to my ears - somewhere around 30-34 there is a significant difference and further down is just not audible at all. Sweeping between 30 and 27 is where it goes from audible to not audible here.

I'm starting to think mine are defective. My mikros produces no sound at 30hz and under, or it's so faint its inaudible. I almost wrote off this thread until you mentioned the Pro 80 cutoff, which I hear too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back