Marantz HD-DAC1
Apr 26, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #887 of 1,283
May 14, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #888 of 1,283
For any Canadians out there that are considering the HD-DAC1, amazon.ca has it today for a super-low price ($832.32 CAD). Lowest price I've seen, I paid $899 CAD three years ago.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...a36-ed46beaa1c2a&pf_rd_r=XQEZB3TWK8308A45DVP0

It was even at a lower price this morning so I had to buy it! Loves the Marantz sounds from my SR-7011 receiver. Looking forward this one.

Was: CDN$ 1,041.68
Price: CDN$ 701.02
FREE Shipping for Prime members
You Save: CDN$ 340.66 (33%)

It seems that there was only one in stock at this price thought...

May 14, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #889 of 1,283
It was even at a lower price this morning so I had to buy it! Loves the Marantz sounds from my SR-7011 receiver. Looking forward this one.

Yup, it's back up to $1100; can't believe it dropped as low as $700. Great buy!

May 14, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #890 of 1,283

That's almost to the $499 USD price BH Photo ran back in Dec, yes, you must have gotten the last one. I started following this thread in Dec, and most in this thread seem to love this component even though it has fairly old DAC technology and low power. I do love Marantz equipment and wish I had picked one up, but I was hoping the price would go even lower. Hope you enjoy the purchase.

May 14, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #891 of 1,283
most in this thread seem to love this component even though it has fairly old DAC technology and low power

It will be an interesting comparaison with my Chord Qutest and Liquid Platinum amp. I know it's not in same price range but I could be pleasantly surprised. Qutest and Clear can be fatiguing on long listening.
Also I just wished the Marantz had proper rca inputs...

May 14, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #892 of 1,283
That's almost to the $499 USD price BH Photo ran back in Dec, yes, you must have gotten the last one. I started following this thread in Dec, and most in this thread seem to love this component even though it has fairly old DAC technology and low power. I do love Marantz equipment and wish I had picked one up, but I was hoping the price would go even lower. Hope you enjoy the purchase.

The HD-DAC1 may not have the "latest chip" but it has a smooth and warm sound that doesn't lack any detail. I think that's why so many owners appreciate it.

And while the headphone output is does not look impressive on paper (800 mw @ 32 ohms), I've yet to see it provide inadequate power. The gain settings are really well implemented and I use low gain for all of headphones expect for my DT 990 PROs (they are 250 ohms and sound best to me on mid-gain).

May 14, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #894 of 1,283
It will be an interesting comparaison with my Chord Qutest and Liquid Platinum amp. I know it's not in same price range but I could be pleasantly surprised. Qutest and Clear can be fatiguing on long listening.
Also I just wished the Marantz had proper rca inputs...
Cavalli sound/design is hard too top; too bad you cancelled it would be nice to hear how it compared to the Marantz.

May 15, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #895 of 1,283
I know the Marantz HD-DAC1 by itself is for driving headphones only but is it possible to use speakers with the Marantz HD-DAC1? I mean directly without any other amp/preamp. Would it have to be powered speakers? If so, how would the speakers be connected?

May 15, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #896 of 1,283
This is really upsetting news for those of us in the USA. From:
http://us.marantz.com/us/news/pages/NewsDetails.aspx?NewsID=95

The Marantz HD-DAC1 is expected to be available in black from October 2014.

It looks like Marantz is not bringing the silver color to the USA, only the black color. This is a typical infuriating move from Marantz, as their flagship hi-fi components in their reference line are available in beautiful champagne/gold-silver and black throughout the world but only in black in the USA.

Damn. That is wierd. In Japan they sell both black and silver. I almost bought the black one but thought that that black audio equipment went out in the 80s, so I bought the silver one and am glad I did. With it's fake woden sides it is a beautiful piece of equipment.
P_20190516_104748_1_p.jpg

May 15, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #897 of 1,283
I know the Marantz HD-DAC1 by itself is for driving headphones only but is it possible to use speakers with the Marantz HD-DAC1? I mean directly without any other amp/preamp. Would it have to be powered speakers? If so, how would the speakers be connected?

Sure, just connect a set of powered speakers to the variable RCA outputs and the volume can be adjusted with the HD-DAC1's remote control.

May 15, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #899 of 1,283
Every time someone posts a picture of the silver version I get so envious. It's so damned sharp looking. I wonder if I could find a silver one in the US for a reasonable price...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back