Marantz HD-DAC1
Oct 18, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #857 of 1,283
Usingf the remote, I can adjust the volume in the headphones from eight feet away, no problem. The remote has no backlight, unfortunately.

Concerning front vs rear USB inputs, first note that the supported list of Apple products in the manual includes various iPod and iPhone manuals, but there is no mention of an iPad. I don't own an iPad, but my iPhone 8+ works fine through the front USB port. The manual says nothing about plugging Apple devices into the rear port, and I've never tried it. Obviously you'll need a Lightning-to-USB/B cable, which seems to run $35-40 US; I don't have one. I know that files on a USB flash drive will not play from the front port unless they are 16/44.1 (CD) quality or below.

I have a 4400h, and I can tell you that CD-quality and hi-res files sent to the DAC1 from an Oppo player via optical or coax, and then sent analog to my Denon 4400h, sound noticeably better than when the Denon's DAC does the conversion--better imaging and wider sounstage.

Thanks for the info.

Pretty sure an iPad would work as well ... if not I can use my iPhone.

Good to hear the HD-DAC1 is noticeably better than the Denon's DAC. Looking forward to it.

The HD-DAC1 seems to tick all the boxes for me.

Cheers.

Nov 6, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #858 of 1,283
Hello,
my first post here... I do it, because I can't believe how big improvement did Schiit Eitr in my rig, in reality bigger improvement then changing Teac ud 501 for Marantz DAC. My current rig MacBook Air - Eitr - Marantz HD DAC1 - amp Primare A30.1 mk2 - speakers Guru QM10two. Sorry, no headphones critical listening here.

Best regards from Slovenia, Zvone

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #859 of 1,283
Hello
A few months ago I bought HD DAC1 made in Vietnam and discovered a structural error on my device. Left and right channels are opposite to the sound source. That's when I listen to the headphones. I do not know how it is when listening to the speakers. Made in China HD DAC1 has properly positioned channels. Has anyone else who has Vietnam HD DAC1 noticed this mistake? Or just my Marantz has that mistake? I would be very grateful to help!

Nov 20, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #860 of 1,283
I bought HD DAC1 made in Vietnam and discovered a structural error on my device. Left and right channels are opposite to the sound source.
Is the your Vietnam made HD DAC1 still under warranty? If so, return it for repair. If not under warranty then either open the case yourself and try to work out if you can repair it, or take it to an electrical repair business and see if they can do it for you?

Hope that helps

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #863 of 1,283
I am a huge Marantz fan boy and I am starting to build my primary can system. I have been researching DAC's and Amp and have been looking very hard at the Marantz. This piece is along in the tooth and am wondering if it is sill relevant? I am going to buy a Bluesound vault to rip all my CD's and stream Tidal Hi Fi and MQA. I am undecided if I am just going to use the Marantz as a DAC and buy a Gargage 1217 headphone amp and I was also going to buy a Jolida Foz sound field expander as well. Thoughts on my set-up with My Grado RS-1's would be helpful..

Dec 25, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #864 of 1,283
I am a huge Marantz fan boy and I am starting to build my primary can system. I have been researching DAC's and Amp and have been looking very hard at the Marantz. This piece is along in the tooth and am wondering if it is sill relevant? I am going to buy a Bluesound vault to rip all my CD's and stream Tidal Hi Fi and MQA. I am undecided if I am just going to use the Marantz as a DAC and buy a Gargage 1217 headphone amp and I was also going to buy a Jolida Foz sound field expander as well. Thoughts on my set-up with My Grado RS-1's would be helpful..

I've owned the DAC1 for a couple of years. Very happy with the sound quality no matter what headphones I pair with it (HD-600, Focal Clear, AKG K702). It also works great as a DAC in my non-headphone system. The only thing I don't like is that you need to hook it up to a computer to play DSD files. I use my Oppo 103 as the digital source for the DAC1, and everything up to 24/192 sounds great.

Dec 25, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #865 of 1,283
I've owned the DAC1 for a couple of years. Very happy with the sound quality no matter what headphones I pair with it (HD-600, Focal Clear, AKG K702). It also works great as a DAC in my non-headphone system. The only thing I don't like is that you need to hook it up to a computer to play DSD files. I use my Oppo 103 as the digital source for the DAC1, and everything up to 24/192 sounds great.

I'm interested in how much a "burn in" period in hours of work? Some have said here that the DAC immediately has a full sound. My HD DAC works for 200 hours and the sound is still bad and does not improve, and the most interesting is the sound of the same quality as in my cheap Marantz cd player from 1989. I only listen with headphones both devices. I'm worried maybe something is wrong with my DAC. When I first heard the sound of this device I fell in love with that sound, it was this device from 2014, the sound was extremely warm with very strong bass, the body heated very much, I do not hear it all over on its made in Vietnam HD DAC1. What is your opinion, should I be concerned that something is wrong with the device?

Dec 25, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #866 of 1,283
I bought an "open box" HD-DAC1 from Musicdirect.com. It sounded great right out of the box, but I had no idea how many hours it had been used before I bought it. I discovered that it would not play 24/192 WAV files, so Marantz replaced the unit with a new one that works fine AND sounded just like the open box one did. I have no issue with the sound quality. It does run warm, but not hot.

Dec 26, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #867 of 1,283
I bought an "open box" HD-DAC1 from Musicdirect.com. It sounded great right out of the box, but I had no idea how many hours it had been used before I bought it. I discovered that it would not play 24/192 WAV files, so Marantz replaced the unit with a new one that works fine AND sounded just like the open box one did. I have no issue with the sound quality. It does run warm, but not hot.

Did the new replacement unit immediately have the sound as well as the old unit, or did it need to burn in time? I suppose both units were produced in China?

Dec 29, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #870 of 1,283
I see B&H has this for $499.95 which may be great for Marantz fans.

Price still seems high to me considering the current competition that has balance in/out, higher power for planar HP demands. Appreciate the love in this thread, Marantz makes some beautiful equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back