Marantz HD-DAC1
Jan 19, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #1,276 of 1,283
Dear all,

I am new here, looking for some help and/or advice. Thank you in advance.

I have had this DAC for some years now, connected to a Windows 7 PC. Mi PC is dead now, and I was considering purchasing a dedicated streamer.

However, I am afraid that the USB type B input in the back (the one that I was using to connect my computer) does not work with other sources (such as dedicated streamers with USB output).

Can some confirm (or deny) this?

Thank you very much for your time.

Best regards from Spain!
I don't think there will be a problem I used it with an nvidia shield and a MacBook air

Jan 19, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #1,277 of 1,283
i'm not sure why it wouldn't i use mine with a Raspberry Pi running Ropieee/Roon

Wow, this is encouraging to hear. I thought that, given that I had to install some drivers in my PC, the only way to make that USB port work would be by connecting it to a source that allowed for the same drivers to be installed.

If someone else has tried plugging in a streamer via USB, and has succedeed, it would be awesome.

I am thinking about BlueSound Node 130 (that allows for digital output via USB), or project Stream Box S2 Ultra as my Streamer candidates.

Anyway, thank you very much for the fast reply, Proglife!

Jan 19, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #1,278 of 1,283
Wow, this is encouraging to hear. I thought that, given that I had to install some drivers in my PC, the only way to make that USB port work would be by connecting it to a source that allowed for the same drivers to be installed.

If someone else has tried plugging in a streamer via USB, and has succedeed, it would be awesome.

I am thinking about BlueSound Node 130 (that allows for digital output via USB), or project Stream Box S2 Ultra as my Streamer candidates.

Anyway, thank you very much for the fast reply, Proglife!
I can only comment on the Raspberry Pi with Roon, unfortunately. Good luck!

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #1,280 of 1,283
When I connect my iPhone to the USB dac at the back (recently bought a dedicated cable) there are no pops and clicks, so this confirms that my Windows laptop is the popping and clicking culprit.
But I am not really hearing the supposed better sound using the USB DAC at the back instead of the port on the front....which is fine, because the sound is just wonderful.
True, SPDIF or coaxical connection is just a tad better overall, as it is with my other DACs in comparison with USB, but the difference is less obvious with this Marantz.

What I have noticed as well is that the amp's gain setting at medium seems to result in a better sound overall, with all my headphones.
And for what it is worth, the amp/DAC is dead quiet. No noise, no incidental high pitched swirls of jittery thingies. Pitch black. No need for an IFi iPurifier.
To be frank, the jittery stuff never bothered me much with my previous DACs or the headphones output of my laptop, but it is nice to hear...erm it is nice to not hear any of that any more.
Taking all this in account, this Marantz must be one the best bargains in recent hifi history, and I got a unit in mint condition for only half the price!
Hello Mink: May I know what kindly of cable to connect iPhone to back USB port of HD DAC 1? Lightning to UBS-B?

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #1,281 of 1,283
Hi all, I managed to use both front and back usb port and I found front port sounds more releaxing. Also, with apple CCK applied to the back port, this unit can decode up to 192k files from apple music. However, when compare back port with audio quest dragonfly cobalt, imho ,HD-DAC 1 is not as detailed as cobalt. But still, I am glab to have 2 more ways ( front and back) to do play back which only cost extra $USD300

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #1,282 of 1,283
Hello Mink: May I know what kindly of cable to connect iPhone to back USB port of HD DAC 1? Lightning to UBS-B?
I had bought a cable via Aliexpres, it now seems discontinued. Never used the cable anyways, I didn't find any use for it, I never needed nor wanted to connect my iPhone to the Marantz DAC. I think I only bought the cable to see if it would work...and it did. It probably still does, if I could find the cable that is.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005004756571483.html

Apr 21, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #1,283 of 1,283
I had bought a cable via Aliexpres, it now seems discontinued. Never used the cable anyways, I didn't find any use for it, I never needed nor wanted to connect my iPhone to the Marantz DAC. I think I only bought the cable to see if it would work...and it did. It probably still does, if I could find the cable that is.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005004756571483.html
Thanks, I bought generic one from my local store, all good, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back