Marantz HD-DAC1
Dec 31, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #871 of 1,283
Hi All, I've just acquired the HD DAC1 and would appreciate some advice from an audiophile novice.

My current set up is a set of Dynaudio Xeo 30 active speakers: https://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/xeo/xeo-30 and an Auralic Altair Streamer: https://us.auralic.com/products/altair.

Currently, I have a set of RCA's connected to the Altair's RCA Variable out going directly into the Dynaudio's RCA's inputs.

How can I connect the amp in-between the speakers and streamer please as I would like to use the headphone socket from the Marantz, hearing the sound from the streamer?

Thanks for any assistance.

Jan 5, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #872 of 1,283
Anyone here use a Foobar and Win10 with that bogus "Fall Creators Update"? I was using ASIO configuration, listed in 'output' as 'DSD : ASIO : Marantz ASIO Device'. Now it stopped working and I'm not sure how to get even a bit perfect with this device anymore.

I do, just reboot the PC once or twice. Make sure the audio device is at default settings except for the 192kHz upsampling option. Hope this helps.
I also noticed that after playing FLAC if I move to a YouTube or other low rez sound source the DAC will freeze, requiring a reboot.

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #873 of 1,283
I've been researching a DAC/AMP in the ~$1000 price range, and my research seems to keep leading back to this one. It checks so many boxes for me, so it just might be what I'm looking for. It seems to be fairly powerful at low impedance, but is it enough to drive the tougher planar magnetics? (Realistically, I think only the LCD-2 is on my radar) I know it's a few years old, but I'm assuming the DAC still holds up? It seems like computer audio doesn't move as fast as... basically every other computer component.

The variable and fixed volume RCA outs in particular are going to do wonders to further simplify my setup.

Jan 14, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #874 of 1,283
img_20190114_190420pmk1p.jpg

My goodness, these pair wonderfully. Mid gain seems to sound the best with the DT1770s. I'll have some listening impressions when I put some more time on it. Right out of the box it seems to sound better than my AE-5+WA2. Not sure if that's down to new toy placebo, better synergy, or better DAC. Gonna mix and match amps and whatnot to dial in impressions.

I know the most immediate thing I can say with 100% confidence is that this thing definitely does not have exaggerated treble, as some people have suggested. If it did it absolutely would not play nice with the 1770s.

One thing that was kind of odd is that output defaulted to 32-bit, 352khz. It did not dig that. I'll chalk that up to Windows being a dingus.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #876 of 1,283
After giving this a few days of listening, I can say pretty confidently that this is an end-game DAC.

When I first got into the headphone scene, my sound card was a Sound Blaster Audigy 2. I thought it was a fantastic card, and I guess relative to on-board audio it was. After years of using it, on a whim, I decided to upgrade to the Schiit Modi, and felt like I got pretty huge gains. I didn't think I'd ever buy another sound card again. Then after a couple years of using that, it crapped out, and the Sound BlasterX AE-5 caught my attention. I figured since 99% of my listening was done on my computer, it was a worthwhile investment. Being that I couldn't A/B it with the Modi, I couldn't say definitively that it was better, but I was pretty confident it was in the same ballpark at least.

But then I get that voice whispering in my ear "A lot of reviews say this card doesn't sound very good. The DAC chip sucks in it. You're not getting the best sound you can get." Then my noisy A20 starts really taking its toll on me. I need a quieter solid state amp so that I can power my harder to drive low impedance headphones. It basically created a perfect storm of "You need to buy an AMP/DAC".

And so here I am now. With each upgrade to my source I felt the biggest improvement was treble control. Extension gets a little better, and fine detail up at the very top of the spectrum gets a little better. This better treble control seems to have a knock-on effect of improved soundstage and imaging. Headphones I've used extensively before get that little extra soundstage that I hadn't heard. The soundstage doesn't get dramatically better, it's just all those refinements to that upper end combine to really draw your attention to it. Tonally, I don't hear anything accentuated or drawn back, which is good, and really what I expected. It lets me send a clean, uncolored signal to my WA2 to let IT do the coloring.

The amp section is also very impressive. It can power anything I throw at it. The DT1770s are fairly easy to drive, so I didn't expect much challenge there, but other headphones like the K612s were pretty much effortless on this thing. I'm confident that should I buy some planar magnetics, this will have no problem powering them.

Inputs and outputs: this thing kills it. Coax, 2 optical, Aux, USB, fixed RCA out, variable RCA out, it's really got it all. My only very minor gripe, is I wish it had two fixed RCA outs. I'm using this through USB, fed from my computer. It's funny: my motherboard actually has USB ports specifically designed for USB DACs. I'm feeding the sound out of this through the fixed RCAs to my WA2, and the variable RCAs go to my Koss ESP950s. I never have to touch the damned volume knobs on that again!

The build on this is just beautiful. I kind of wish I could've gotten the silver version, just to match my WA2, but I still like the black. It's really heavy for such a tiny little box. I think just over 10 pounds? It just gives it that premium feel. The headphone jack is another detail I absolutely love. It has a really soft grip, so pushing and pulling the plug won't cause the unit to move around. Despite the WA2 being heavier, it still does this. And it might be because I'm a simpleton, but I absolutely love how using the remote physically turns the volume knob.

The power and source sections of my little setup feel like they're properly end-game. For maybe the first time since getting into this hobby, I feel like I'm done spending money here. There's more headphones to try, for sure, but I no longer feel I'm feeding potentially poor quality into the headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #878 of 1,283
I currently have a usb external drive hooked into my iMac and use JRiver Media Center to play the files. How would I get the Marantz involved in this scenario? And I notice in the manual that flac files are not compatible and I’m assuming JRiver would take care of that. I’ve been using an Oppo HA-2 portable amp hooked into my iMac and am using Sennheiser 600’s, but just bought the 800S phones and feel a need for more power.

Apr 22, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #880 of 1,283
Apr 22, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #882 of 1,283
And I'm assuming that this would be best as the Marantz has a better DAC than the Node 2? And thanks for your help!

I think this is a safe assumption but I have no experience with the Node 2. I can say that the DAC on the Marantz is very good, though. Happy listening.

Apr 22, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #883 of 1,283
No matter what I play using JRiver 96 and above, the Marantz display always says 96k. Does this mean that's the highest resolution it can play? I'm using an iMac with JRiver and I raised the bar in Audio Midi Setup, but it still says 96k on the display.

Apr 22, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #884 of 1,283
I use a late-2014 Mac Mini and playback FLAC files with Swinsian.app on my Marantz HD-DAC1. My Audio Midi is set to output 192MHz and that is what my HD-DAC1 shows. I use VinylStudio to digitize my LPs via my Rega Fono Mini MK1 (16-bit 44.1MHz) and use dBpoweramp to rip CDs

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #885 of 1,283
No matter what I play using JRiver 96 and above, the Marantz display always says 96k. Does this mean that's the highest resolution it can play? I'm using an iMac with JRiver and I raised the bar in Audio Midi Setup, but it still says 96k on the display.

This is definitely some sort of config issue as the unit can play source material that's 24/192 and higher. No issues with mine but I'm using Win 7 and MusicBee.

I assume you're connected to the HD-DAC1 via USB. Did you follow the steps on page 10 and 11 of the Quick Start Guide (http://ca.marantz.com/DocumentMaster/US/HD-DAC1 Quick Start Guide - English.pdf)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back