Marantz HD-DAC1
Dec 19, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #916 of 1,283
Hi @FullBright1,

It seems we keep sharing the same or at least similar perspectives & viewpoints.
In all honesty, not sure how high res some downloaded music is though the quality overall is decent to good...which is inline with my tag used in the signature line though sometimes, depending on how the original is mixed & mastered, sometimes one just has to live with it.
Saying that, iTunes, as much as people want to complain, pitchfork, etc...is helping redeem the market, so to speak, which is why even now Amazon, among others has jumped on the bandwagon, etc...
The only perhaps ironic this about this is any limited or special editions one may seek to own are actually ownable but in digital form which is how things end up eventually anyway...so go figure, right...

There is something about the tangible, isn't there...
Used to be all about the tactile experience which extended to the hearing of said music product though sometimes a lot of that was just filler after a while & given the exchange rate, sometimes those packages turned out 3 times more than they should.
At least, when the exchange rate is reasonable, any really tempted by for that tangibility can at least be considered...
Personally, it is the feeling & emotion in the music which means more to me & sometimes as we discussed before, how the frequency range can relate to colours which people get even less than that feeling & emotion.
Not sure if you noticed but a while back, some of my posts in the LCD 1 got deleted as someone didn't think it was relevant...don't really care about that though it shows how sad the current human condition can be but I digress...

Yes, there is so much music, too much in some cases which I agree & unfortunately like most things in life, unless it's sought after or known then it can get potentially 'lost' in the flood of to put it bluntly...crap...

Hardly watch music videos any more but I do understand what you mean, though more often than not, the video, while looking pretty or well crafted as you say is also mostly terrible for various reasons whether the music is bad or not, though I do agree on the former...

On my end, subjectively minor problem with the era you listen to is I have heard it so much over the years, when CDs were still going strong, I find it hard to listen to again for any extended length of time which is not a bad thing.
My main eras for listening tend to be 40's to 70's Jazz (though lean more on John Coltrane in recent years) & a lot of Ludovico Einaudi, along with Joss Stone, Lindsay Stirling, though I still listen to most other genres compared to most...other than yourself...
I may be flamed at some point but personally, especially at audio shows, I think there is too much Nirvana & Coldplay still hyped to death & beyond with now some New Country being thrown in the mix...
If I wanted to listen to any of that, I pick Roger Waters as he does actual listenable covers.

Early release of good music, that 3 to 4 or even 1 now is very true I have also found though sometimes not even an album is produced but limited EPs which don't amount to much sadly...

As always, keep up the great insights !

One day, be interesting to have a proper conversation with you either online or offline though till that happens, keep being amazingly awesome !

Hope you have a great day !

PDL

Hey PDL,

Yes, i agree with what U are explaining.
And sure, if im listening to Jazz, then you have to dig deeper then the 70s, as perhaps the "70 were the end of the really good stuff.
I like early "Miles", for example,......and i can enjoy his "Spain" and a few others, but once it became about a rock band jamming and he stood there and blew seldom......I just didnt connect with it.
I have some Coltrane Albums.....and others.
The Good News is, as i created the Thread, i wont report your posts if they are not on "topic"......:)
Some rabbit trails are fun to follow, but i can understand that people who are hardcore (charts and graphs and Modification obsessives), would want the topic to stay the course.
I tend to yank conversations into other directions on this forum, in part, because they wont allow me to have a PM box here, where i could just chat in a friendly way with people who just want to converse about more then wires and pads.

later, -

Dec 23, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #917 of 1,283
Hey PDL,

Yes, i agree with what U are explaining.
And sure, if im listening to Jazz, then you have to dig deeper then the 70s, as perhaps the "70 were the end of the really good stuff.
I like early "Miles", for example,......and i can enjoy his "Spain" and a few others, but once it became about a rock band jamming and he stood there and blew seldom......I just didnt connect with it.
I have some Coltrane Albums.....and others.
The Good News is, as i created the Thread, i wont report your posts if they are not on "topic"......:)
Some rabbit trails are fun to follow, but i can understand that people who are hardcore (charts and graphs and Modification obsessives), would want the topic to stay the course.
I tend to yank conversations into other directions on this forum, in part, because they wont allow me to have a PM box here, where i could just chat in a friendly way with people who just want to converse about more then wires and pads.

later, -

@FullBright1,

Always appreciated, interesting you say deeper than the 70's, I don't enjoy Miles as much as I used to as like your main eras, I heard a lot of that & I do agree with the jazz turning to rock...didn't gel with me either.
Ihough I am slowly dipping back into the 40's & 50's big band Jazz era though small doses at a time.

Your off topic joke is amusing & understood :) ...
Nothing wrong with off topic conversations but you know as well as I sometimes people just don't get it overall.
As said, hopefully one day your PM will be restored though probably better, higher chance of me meeting you in real life one day which would be an honour...
Rabbit trails are indeed fun to follow but aside from those hardcore you mentioned around here, the term explainers get tedious too, especially when they don't actually divulge any real info but I digress...

Keep being amazing & awesome !

Dec 23, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #918 of 1,283
@FullBright1,

Always appreciated, interesting you say deeper than the 70's, I don't enjoy Miles as much as I used to as like your main eras, I heard a lot of that & I do agree with the jazz turning to rock...didn't gel with me either.
Ihough I am slowly dipping back into the 40's & 50's big band Jazz era though small doses at a time.

Your off topic joke is amusing & understood :) ...
Nothing wrong with off topic conversations but you know as well as I sometimes people just don't get it overall.
As said, hopefully one day your PM will be restored though probably better, higher chance of me meeting you in real life one day which would be an honour...
Rabbit trails are indeed fun to follow but aside from those hardcore you mentioned around here, the term explainers get tedious too, especially when they don't actually divulge any real info but I digress...

Keep being amazing & awesome !

Thank you for all the kind words.
I appreciate them.

I suppose i can contact Axel-Clorus again and ask him to restore my PM privileges.
This has become my "once a year rejection".

He wants me to never again be "reported" on the forum, as i had told him 2 yrs ago, i would try to keep this from happening.
Prob is, sometimes people disagree, and so, a post of mine gets reported.... and then im told....."well , you were reported again", "So, no PM Box.".
Imagine if he blocked all PM boxes from everyone who gets a post reported on this entire forum.
= None of us would have a PM box.

Dec 24, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #919 of 1,283
Thank you for all the kind words.
I appreciate them.

I suppose i can contact Axel-Clorus again and ask him to restore my PM privileges.
This has become my "once a year rejection".

He wants me to never again be "reported" on the forum, as i had told him 2 yrs ago, i would try to keep this from happening.
Prob is, sometimes people disagree, and so, a post of mine gets reported.... and then im told....."well , you were reported again", "So, no PM Box.".
Imagine if he blocked all PM boxes from everyone who gets a post reported on this entire forum.
= None of us would have a PM box.

@FullBright1,

I understand your frustration.
As to the kind words, it is a given without question as you definitely are deserving of good will at the very least more than most on here.

You are definitely not wrong about none of us would have a PM box...
Subjectively & personally, as we both eluded to before, the problem is being on the internet where everyone has the supposed 'RIGHT' to express whatever they feel like just because...not to mention headfi as you pointed out is a few times is a BOYS CLUB which sometimes makes me annoyed at my own gender for various reasons...
This is also exacerbated by ever increasing idiotic PC Standards where someone will get upset...usually for no reason about something someone said, whether it really affects anyone or not...

Just keep at it, asking Axel though if I may offer a suggestion to speed up the process, I realise it's hard but just do your best to ignore the idiots as much as possible, especially the ones who seem like they report at less than a drop of the hat then see what happens.

I have every confidence you will regain your PM box though it may yet take longer than you like.

Hope you have a great day & if you celebrate Christmas, Seasons Greetings !

Dec 29, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #920 of 1,283
@FullBright1,

I understand your frustration.
As to the kind words, it is a given without question as you definitely are deserving of good will at the very least more than most on here.

You are definitely not wrong about none of us would have a PM box...
Subjectively & personally, as we both eluded to before, the problem is being on the internet where everyone has the supposed 'RIGHT' to express whatever they feel like just because...not to mention headfi as you pointed out is a few times is a BOYS CLUB which sometimes makes me annoyed at my own gender for various reasons...
This is also exacerbated by ever increasing idiotic PC Standards where someone will get upset...usually for no reason about something someone said, whether it really affects anyone or not...

Just keep at it, asking Axel though if I may offer a suggestion to speed up the process, I realise it's hard but just do your best to ignore the idiots as much as possible, especially the ones who seem like they report at less than a drop of the hat then see what happens.

I have every confidence you will regain your PM box though it may yet take longer than you like.

Hope you have a great day & if you celebrate Christmas, Seasons Greetings !

Ok, i waited a while to respond to you.
I did contact the same.....about the same, about a week ago.
Waited.........waited.
He's not responding at all, so, i take this as a ......"no".
The Marantz, however, is responding like a dream.....:)

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #921 of 1,283
Ok, i waited a while to respond to you.
I did contact the same.....about the same, about a week ago.
Waited.........waited.
He's not responding at all, so, i take this as a ......"no".
The Marantz, however, is responding like a dream.....:)

@FullBright1,

Oh well, honestly, can't say I'm surprised...

Maybe one day you be lucky.

Once again, Happy Holidays to you !

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #925 of 1,283
Regarding the clicking: would using a usb to spdif bridge (like an Eitr or topping d10) eliminate the issue?

Not sure how this would help. The unit clicks whenever it locks into a new signal, regardless of the input type. Also keep in mind that this DAC is optimized for USB through the use of the Marantz ASIO driver. All this said, the clicking is a complete non-issue for me.

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #926 of 1,283
Not sure how this would help. The unit clicks whenever it locks into a new signal, regardless of the input type. Also keep in mind that this DAC is optimized for USB through the use of the Marantz ASIO driver. All this said, the clicking is a complete non-issue for me.

Several people have mentioned that the clicking is only an issue while connected via USB and not optical.
As I do at least half of my listening streaming via TIDAL, the clicking is a bit annoying as it occurs with every new track.

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #927 of 1,283
Several people have mentioned that the clicking is only an issue while connected via USB and not optical.
As I do at least half of my listening streaming via TIDAL, the clicking is a bit annoying as it occurs with every new track.

Sorry, I tested USB versus Optical on my unit and now I see what you mean. On USB, it clicks every time play stops and restarts but, on Optical, it only clicks when it locks in on a different sample rate.

Jan 22, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #928 of 1,283
Sorry, I tested USB versus Optical on my unit and now I see what you mean. On USB, it clicks every time play stops and restarts but, on Optical, it only clicks when it locks in on a different sample rate.

Yup, that's what I'm looking to get around. I'm not concerned with coax limiting me to 24/96 because these bronze ears of mine hear no difference between that and ultra super duper double DSD or whatever. Because my Mac Mini is my hub and has no optical out, I would need a bridge, but I'm not positive if it matters whether the optical connection is direct or not. I feel like it won't, but I'm not sure and given the moderate popularity of this unit on here I figured there was a chance someone had tried it, or if not, would know better than me if this is a workable solution.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #929 of 1,283
Yup, that's what I'm looking to get around. I'm not concerned with coax limiting me to 24/96 because these bronze ears of mine hear no difference between that and ultra super duper double DSD or whatever. Because my Mac Mini is my hub and has no optical out, I would need a bridge, but I'm not positive if it matters whether the optical connection is direct or not. I feel like it won't, but I'm not sure and given the moderate popularity of this unit on here I figured there was a chance someone had tried it, or if not, would know better than me if this is a workable solution.

Another option would be to go with an HDMI Audio Extractor that outputs to Optical. Something like https://www.kanexpro.com/item/?id=HAECOAX3 would fit the bill.

I have an earlier version of this Audio Extractor and it works great. I run HDMI from my PC to the Extractor and run the Optical out from it to a DAC (AudoEngine D1) that's connected to a stereo component system (via RCA). I also have the HDMI out from the Extractor connected to a 60' TV so that I can watch concerts on multiple displays and also play audio on the component system and on the TV soundbar concurrently.

Jan 24, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #930 of 1,283
I just realized I could connect the Mac Mini to my TV via HDMI, then have the TV connect to the Dac-1 via optical. Is there any compromise audio-wise if I connect things in this convoluted fashion -- ie, does having the TV in the middle acting as the bridge from my audio to the Marantz muss w/ things at all, or will i essentially get the same quality HDMI to optical connection that I would using an extractor-converter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back