Marantz HD-DAC1
Apr 12, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #841 of 1,283
I don't have any experience with the front panel USB port to play back files from a flash drive (filetypes are limited there), but it will do gapless playback of files stored on my iPhone through the Apple Music app.

Gapless playback depends on your player, not the DAC. My Oppo 103 player will do gapless playback of hi-res files, whether its digital coax output goes into my AVR or into the Marantz DAC. Foorbar2000 will do gapless playback as well. I haven't connected my PC to the Marantz DAC, but it will do gapless playback of hi-res files on my PC, played back through the computer's SoundBlaster sound card; I'm certain foobar will do gapless playback if the computer is connected to the rear USB port.

Jul 20, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #843 of 1,283
Where the difference lies is that in the HD-DAC1 a generously dimensioned zero global feedback current dumping section is employed, and that the matching of the amp to the headphone impedance & sensitivity has to be specifically set by the user by selecting the amount of feedback utilized in the voltage amp section.
Could you please explain it?? How output impedance is depented from gain setting ? Thank you !!!

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #844 of 1,283
Can anyone compare this to the Schiit Jotunheim, or Audio-gd nfb-28?
I've demo'ed the Jotunheim with my Elear and really liked the combo, it was never too bright for me. Don't have a chance to demo the Marantz, but if it is just better, then it's game on.

I just got the HD-DAC1 for my secondary station and I've had about 70 hours on it. I think there have been some improvements past the 50 hour mark, maybe more to come.

I have had the Jotunheim (with AKM DAC) for about 2 years that has served as my reference using HD600, HD800, and Utopia (among others). I also have Marantz AV8802A preamp in my speaker setup. The HD-DAC1 really reminds me of AV8802A tonal flavor (it uses a similar HDAM frontend module). Good body/warmth to sound across the spectrum and spacious without hot treble. Jotunheim, on the other hand, is little more edgy, less body, and most importantly space lacks depth. I think it's partially Jotunheim's amp sections limitation and AKM DAC implementation limitation (AV8802A has the same AKM DAC but it sounds better). Jotunheim + Yggdrasil improved all those areas, and then I settled on GSX mk2 + Yggdrasil for my main system which is very fast, resolving, and musical.

In short, I am liking HD-DAC1 better than Jotunheim (with AKM DAC) for the music I listen to (mainly classical, jazz, and acoustic instruments, occasionally some 80s and 90s pop/rock). Features are similar (RCA outs, variable gain, good enough power) and front USB port is a nice plus. You lose balanced connection and the box is probably 2.5x bigger but for one-box solution, I'm ok with this.

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #845 of 1,283
I know it is crazy but HD-DAC1 works wonder with DSD files. If you can get a hold of HQplayer (or any upsampling software) and play around with on the fly DSD upsampling HD-DAC1. I have tried to setup a desktop music station and every time I try to do so the units that actually win me over cost 5 to 8 times of what I paid for my DAC 1.

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #846 of 1,283
Could you please explain it?? How output impedance is depented from gain setting ? Thank you !!!

16_1[1].jpg

I don't know if this has been posted before (sorry I haven't gone through the entire thread yet) but here is a high-level diagram of the HD-DAC1. Low/Mid/High gain is achieved by changing the negative feedback in the mid section. The headphone always sees the 0dB power output buffer so I don't think the impedance is impacted by it. Rather, the drive for different impedance ( nearly = how hard to drive) is accommodated by the gain stage. Marantz designers say that there is a slight tonal change due to change in the negative feedback (= change in gain setting).

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #847 of 1,283

I don't know if this has been posted before (sorry I haven't gone through the entire thread yet) but here is a high-level diagram of the HD-DAC1. Low/Mid/High gain is achieved by changing the negative feedback in the mid section. The headphone always sees the 0dB power output buffer so I don't think the impedance is impacted by it. Rather, the drive for different impedance ( nearly = how hard to drive) is accommodated by the gain stage. Marantz designers say that there is a slight tonal change due to change in the negative feedback (= change in gain setting).
This is very helpfull...thanx a lot !!

Aug 24, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #848 of 1,283
Hi

I have had hd dac 1 for a while and I am happy the way it sounds.
Reading few threads online I see people use some software and asio drivers.
I have only ever used standard marantz drivers and mainly Spotify through USB( obviously) , but I wonder if using asio driver would produce a better, different sound.
If so would that work with Spotify or only with dedicated software and your own music played through it?

Oct 3, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #849 of 1,283
What is the power supply voltage on this? 100-120v or up to 240v?

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #850 of 1,283
Found a 2nd hand unit great condition for a good price. Is this still worth looking at, it is getting on the older side of things.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #851 of 1,283
Heh. As A/V equipment goes, this isn't old at all. Plenty of folks still using (real) vintage equipment from the 1970s-80s.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #852 of 1,283
I do need a dac thats why im considering it, Wondering if running it into my audio gd nfb1amp would negatively impact the sound?

The 1amp puts out more power which i will need with some upcoming headphone purchases.

From what i'm reading the dac1 has a decent dac.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #853 of 1,283
The HD-DAC1 looks very good and I reckon I'm going to get one but I have a few questions I am hoping someone could answer.

I don't want to plug this into a computer. I'll be using it with an iPad (Tidal Hifi) and my Sennheiser HD650's. I'd also like to use it as a DAC going into my Denon X4400H / KEF LS50's (via iPad / Tidal again). I will only be listening to CD quality digital music ... no DSD or any other high res music.

This is one of a very few DAC/Headphone amps that has a remote control and a normal USB port ... so it really fits the bill for me. All the excellent reviews are a big bonus. And it looks great !!

Currently I am using an Arcam irDAC and a Schiit Jotunheim together. It's great, but every time I want to switch from headphone listening to using the Arcam as a DAC I need to unplug the stereo cable from the Arcam (swapping between the Jotunheim and the X4400). The Jotunheim also has no remote control.

My questions are ...

- I'll be around 3m away from the unit when listening with headphones. Will the volume on the remote control allow me to adjust the volume when listening through my headphones? I am uncertain if the volume button only works when using it as a pre-amp or something like that (sorry ... not too smart on these things).

- I can use this as a DAC into my Denon can't I? iPad/Tidal -> USB cable into front USB port of HD-DAC1 -> HD-DAC1 into my X4400H (via the fixed Audio Out's on the HD-DAC1)

- Am I sacrificing any audio quality using my iPad / Tidal Hifi by using the front USB port as opposed to using a computer and going through the back USB-B port?

Thank you,

Dean

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #854 of 1,283
I tested the remote on my HD-DAC1 and it works from at least 5m away, maybe even further away but I couldn't test it.You can use the volume control to adjust the volume of the headphones when they're plugged in.

Oct 18, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #855 of 1,283
Usingf the remote, I can adjust the volume in the headphones from eight feet away, no problem. The remote has no backlight, unfortunately.

Concerning front vs rear USB inputs, first note that the supported list of Apple products in the manual includes various iPod and iPhone manuals, but there is no mention of an iPad. I don't own an iPad, but my iPhone 8+ works fine through the front USB port. The manual says nothing about plugging Apple devices into the rear port, and I've never tried it. Obviously you'll need a Lightning-to-USB/B cable, which seems to run $35-40 US; I don't have one. I know that files on a USB flash drive will not play from the front port unless they are 16/44.1 (CD) quality or below.

I have a 4400h, and I can tell you that CD-quality and hi-res files sent to the DAC1 from an Oppo player via optical or coax, and then sent analog to my Denon 4400h, sound noticeably better than when the Denon's DAC does the conversion--better imaging and wider sounstage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back