Marantz HD-DAC1
Aug 26, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #796 of 1,283
hey guys, i installed the driver for windows however when I click on it to set it as default sound option in windows sound options there is no option, only "general" and "levels". The only way I can get sound to play is through the asio / wasapi driver in foobar, there is no option with the direct sound in windows

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #797 of 1,283
hey guys, i installed the driver for windows however when I click on it to set it as default sound option in windows sound options there is no option, only "general" and "levels". The only way I can get sound to play is through the asio / wasapi driver in foobar, there is no option with the direct sound in windows

Asio and wasapi bypass the Windows sound engine - you want to use one of those, NOT direct sound.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #798 of 1,283
Hello, new user here! I’ve been thinking of upgrading my DAC/amp and saw this one on sale. However, I listen most of my my music with iTunes and most of the songs on my library are either 256 kb/s aac-files or 320 kb/s mp3-files. I read somewhere on this thread that this particular DAC/amp doesn’t support aac-files (or only through iPod connection). Could someone please confirm this? I’m currently using Sennheiser HD650 with SMSL M6 DAC/amp.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #799 of 1,283
Hello, new user here! I’ve been thinking of upgrading my DAC/amp and saw this one on sale. However, I listen most of my my music with iTunes and most of the songs on my library are either 256 kb/s aac-files or 320 kb/s mp3-files. I read somewhere on this thread that this particular DAC/amp doesn’t support aac-files (or only through iPod connection). Could someone please confirm this? I’m currently using Sennheiser HD650 with SMSL M6 DAC/amp.

AAC works just fine. It can handle everything up to 192 kHz / 24bits high-resolution audio but also the DSD 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #800 of 1,283
The DAC1 plays every type of file you can throw at it, including all Apple codecs. In addition to using it with a FiiO X5 loaded with hi-res flac as well as DSD dsf files, I also connect my iPods directly to it. My HD-800s & AKG-812 cans sound superb! Even at twice the price, the Marantz is a gargain!

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #803 of 1,283
Currently using this amp/dac with Sennheiser HD 650. I'm really happy with it but still wondering if using balanced cable would make any difference, even though it's not an balanced amp...
No point in using a balanced cable in an unbalanced headphone output

Oct 19, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #805 of 1,283
Hi, i have a problem getting sound from my marantz to my onkyo tx-nr3010 receiver,(it is no sound att all) aim usin foobar whit wasapi ,Ihave tried whit the variabled rca , i cut it short becouse my enlish is not god.

Oct 19, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #806 of 1,283
Try the FIXED RCA connection, because you are using the Onkyo as a preamp. See p. 16 in the Marantz manual.

If you still have trouble, turn off WASAPI. Maybe your computer doesn't work with WASAPI.

Nov 4, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #810 of 1,283
is there actually a noticeable difference with sound quality? When compared to a midrange amp/dac combo?
On CDs, CD-quality digital files, and 24/96 digital files played from a USB drive into an Oppo player that is connected to the Marantz with digital coax, I find more "airiness" among the music than I get with my Denon x4000 receiver. It's not a HUGE difference. I don't have a Windows 10 laptop, so I haven't tried playing digital files from a laptop into the Marantz's back-panel USB port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back