Magni 3 Impressions
Apr 30, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #2,536 of 2,593
Just got the magni today for a vinyl/headphones only set up. I've got Pro-ject Debut -> Pro-ject Phono Box -> Magni 3 Plus -> HD600's. The sound is great, definitely better than my Cambridge Topaz amp, but it's lacking power for Sennheisers. I have to max out the volume on high gain to get to a good volume. Honestly, it's probably better for my ears that it doesn't get louder, but I'm eyeing something more powerful now. The Valhalla?
Friends of mine had the Pro-ject Phono box. It was awful; no PRaT, dead boring sound. The Mani was a big improvement, and would help with your low level problem.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #2,537 of 2,593
Now a disclaimer, I don't know what cartridge you are using. But each of Manis settings alters the gain.

I'm using an Ortofon Red.
I have to admit that I don't understand all the numbers. For the Phono-Box, how do calculate the 500 mv output given these specs? Sorry, total newbie here.

1588257894202.png

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #2,538 of 2,593
Thanks, that's good advice. I didn't realize the Mani had that much output.

Now a disclaimer, I don't know what cartridge you are using. But each of Manis settings alters the gain.
I'm using an Ortofon Red.
I have to admit that I don't understand all the numbers. For the Phono-Box, how do calculate the 500 mv output given these specs? Sorry, total newbie here.

I pulled it off the pro-ject website, but you likely have more accurate info since you own the device. From what your specs are showing you are only getting 300mv, not 500mv. It's possible I looked at specs for a different model, or you know, I'm dumb 😀.

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #2,539 of 2,593
Phono stage gain is dependent on cartridge output voltage. The spec above shows 300mV with a 3mV cartridge. The Red has a typical output of 5.5mV, so it will provide more than 300mV out. I believe it would be 550mV, but I'm not certain.

Regardless, gain of the Phono Box is 40dB and gain with the Mani set for standard output MM is 42dB. A difference of 2dB is not a game changer.

The Mani has higher gain stage settings but the input would likely overload with an Ortofon Red.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #2,540 of 2,593
I'm from Europe, I can hardly get my hands on any of the amps that are recommended in this forum. But I found a used 2018 Schiit stack (Modi 2 + Magni 3). Is the Magni 3+ or Heresy significantly better than this or should I buy it? It's only 200 bucks, which is definitely okay. For anything I have to ship to my country I have to pay ridiculously high fees.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #2,542 of 2,593
I'm from Europe, I can hardly get my hands on any of the amps that are recommended in this forum. But I found a used 2018 Schiit stack (Modi 2 + Magni 3). Is the Magni 3+ or Heresy significantly better than this or should I buy it? It's only 200 bucks, which is definitely okay. For anything I have to ship to my country I have to pay ridiculously high fees.

The 3+ is brighter (might be good or bad) and a little more detailed. Up to you if you think it's worth it.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #2,543 of 2,593
The 3+ is brighter (might be good or bad) and a little more detailed. Up to you if you think it's worth it.

Take what RickB says into consideration, but also, keep in mind that in my own experience the Magni 3 is not the bottleneck as I have swapped Modi 2 Uber (same DAC's as regular Modi 2) out from behind the Magni 3 in favor of a Presonus Audiobox USB, and got better sound for my hearing/headphones/musical tastes/what-have-you.

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #2,544 of 2,593

I got fed up waiting for stock with the euopean dealer and ordered US instead. Delivered within a week :wink:

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #2,545 of 2,593
I got fed up waiting for stock with the euopean dealer and ordered US instead. Delivered within a week :wink:

How was the experience with customs for you?

I got my Magni 3 from Schiit as well when I was living in Maastricht and ended up paying quite the sum because of taxes-FedEx fees...
I then decided to use Schiit-Europe when I purchased the Mimby, but I hear about the stock situation

Jun 30, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #2,546 of 2,593
How was the experience with customs for you?

I got my Magni 3 from Schiit as well when I was living in Maastricht and ended up paying quite the sum because of taxes-FedEx fees...
I then decided to use Schiit-Europe when I purchased the Mimby, but I hear about the stock situation

No experience so far, so I guess I got lucky? (I rarely get lucky otherwise)

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #2,547 of 2,593
No experience so far, so I guess I got lucky? (I rarely get lucky otherwise)

Looks like it, I got a letter from FedEx shortly-ish after the delivery itself with the bill (VAT, customs, fees...kinda pricey for a Magni, in the end)

Hopefully you'll get away with it, I think with items that aren't too expensive you can get lucky, indeed

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #2,550 of 2,593
When should one use the HI option? how many ohm does a headphone need to have for you to benefit from the HI?
Impedance is only one consideration, the other is sensitivity. My DT 1990 is 250 ohms, but very sensitive at 102dB/mW. Low gain on the Magni 3 provides plenty of level and drive. The Drop 4XX is 35 ohms but only 93dB/mW sensitivity. The 4XX would benefit from High Gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back