Magni 3 Impressions
Nov 9, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #901 of 2,593
Well, I had the same question you were answering. I got Magni 3 lately. And after a lot of reading, I was totally sure that Modi Multibit will make a huge sound difference to me comparing to Arcam rPac, which I'm currently using as a DAC. And, to my surprise, I've heard only slitest hints of a difference. So little difference that I decided to keep $300 for now. I was more like feeling different than hearing the difference.

I'm used to Senns HD598 (have them for a long while) and about a week of listening to Magni 3. Still waiting for HD6XX to come. So I used both my 598s, and 650s that I borrowed from my local distributor, where I was considering buying Mimby. I shared my thoughts with the guys in the shop. They suggested that I'll need to have a better amp to hear the difference in DACs. Fortunately they've had a lot of stuff to listen to so I decided to give it a try.

So I tried different combinations with Jotunheim for a while. And I changed the headphones to Fostex TX-610 that give slightly more detail then HD650. And I didn't hear much difference in sound of Jot Single Ended/MMB vs Magni 3/MMB either. Just slight increase in "boom-boom" and different treble that Jot has. Still wondering which sound to consider better. I liked Jot better first but now I have some doubts.

The situation changed when I tried balanced output of the Jot. Comparing to Magni 3 the difference was more apparent. Like stereo imaging changed and the scene changed. Take my words with a grain of salt here, because I don't have enough experience with any set-up except of my rPAC>Magni 3>598s though. But I enjoyed balanced Jot much more than Magni 3 for some reason. At this point I already gave up volume matching with the pink noise. Just listened at comforable listening levels, trying to match them by ear. I tried to make Modi 3 louder, however. Still couldn't tell much difference with DACs.

And now I have more questions then answers. It seems that I'm keeping Magni 3 for now because I still enjoy it at home even with Arcam rPAC as a DAC. But what buggying me most is that I can't substantially hear the difference between DACs (rPAC, Mimby, Bifrost 4490, Gumby through RCAs). I just hear (or, more likely, think I do) a hint of smoothness from Schiit dacs. It's like paying tonns of money for the milligramm difference. Any ideas on how to evaluate this, guys?

I would not worry about not being able to hear much of a difference in DACs or amps, all that really matters is that you like the sound of your gear and if you like the cheaper gear better use the savings for more music, another headphone or wine. The Magni3 is a great amp for the price and to me better than the Jot since the Jot is a bit too bright with some headphones for me while the Magni3 is a little warmer and pairs with more headphones IMO. But if you are going to get the HD6XX the Jot balanced would be my choice over the Magni3 any day even at 4 times the cost.
Don't forget that what is "better" to me might not be to you since audio is a personal preference, very few right or wrong, better or worst most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back