Magni 3 Impressions
Nov 13, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #931 of 2,593
Depends really on what headphones you have, for me I sold my Magni3 because it has WAY TOO MUCH power for my headphones.
I found the bass to be slightly lower and there to be a few mid-range peaks, but honestly I have to use it with the POT almost at the bottom (like 7-8 oclock) because all my headphones are low impedance.
So the volume would get to an ear-bleeding level by even 10 oclock. I tested it with an Oppo PM-2, Denon D7200, Denon AH-MM400, Panasonic RP-HD10, 1More Quad drivers, 1More Triple drivers, Yamaha YH-2 (vintage ortho).
Only the Yamaha @ 150 ohms could actually use any of the POT travel and it topped out around 1PM in regards to "tolerable volume".

Thank you, @Jimster480

And I'm glad to see that our messages weren't deleted or moved somewhere else this time. :beerchug:

Nov 14, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #933 of 2,593
magni 3

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #935 of 2,593
Received my Magni 3 today, but my impressions are not so good as yours. Currently i have setup pc->wyrd->modi 2->magni2uber->DT 770 pro 80 and HD600, im sad to say but sound of magni 3 i can describe as downgrade compared to magni2U, yes magni 3 a little bit more transparent and a little different soundstage, but magni2u have more evolving and fuller sound, bass is more defined with 2U, treble sounds more natural, vocals are more livlier . Magni3 as for me have sterile sounding, some kind of synthetic maybe, not interesting to listen - at all. Maybe modi 2 dac is not so good for this amp, i don't know. Actually i didn't understand all that hype around that amplifier... volume knob feels much cheaper compared to magni2uber, its not about visual, it's about feeling when regulating it, i didn't expected so cheap feelings about that. I'm not disappointed, i think that 50$ less - is quite reasonable for this unit.

p.s. i decided to stay with Magni2U at this moment, and sell magni 3 in my country. Don't know in which side to think for the system upgrade... :frowning2:

Little update: currently i listen to my xonar stx with dt 770 at home after work, and i found that sound of magni 3 brings schiit stack closer to xonar stx sound, but from that point of view and sound reproduction STX is better, but i don't prefer this sound, i find stx sounding... don't know how to describe this, too digital and harsh maybe... For gaming and cinema STX is ok, but not for music listening.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #938 of 2,593
Did you compare them at your setup?

I stepped up from the original Magni to the Magni 3, so no. My personal opinion on an amplifier is that it should have no color, no signature, no trait to its' sound, just be transparent.

With low quality recordings such as MP3s, HQ youtube videos, or MQAs, the two amplifiers are indistinguishable. With high quality recordings, the Magni 3 shows detail I hadn't heard before.

(I'm extrapolating from the MQAs I demoed at CanJam/RMAF. They did not impress me at all. The others, I did direct A/B comparisons with, and not short ones.)

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #939 of 2,593
The magni 3.
I stepped up from the original Magni to the Magni 3, so no. My personal opinion on an amplifier is that it should have no color, no signature, no trait to its' sound, just be transparent.

With low quality recordings such as MP3s, HQ youtube videos, or MQAs, the two amplifiers are indistinguishable. With high quality recordings, the Magni 3 shows detail I hadn't heard before.

(I'm extrapolating from the MQAs I demoed at CanJam/RMAF. They did not impress me at all. The others, I did direct A/B comparisons with, and not short ones.)
Ok i understand your point of view, thank you for reply, i have another point of view - truly transparent amplifiers is just nonexistent, is just like direct video translation directly to your brain - sci-fi.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #940 of 2,593
Ok i understand your point of view, thank you for reply, i have another point of view - truly transparent amplifiers is just nonexistent, is just like direct video translation directly to your brain - sci-fi.

Sure, but you strive for it. I want my sound as unadorned as possible. If it has a coloring, I don't want it.

Nov 14, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #942 of 2,593
Received my Magni 3 today, but my impressions are not so good as yours. Currently i have setup pc->wyrd->modi 2->magni2uber->DT 770 pro 80 and HD600, im sad to say but sound of magni 3 i can describe as downgrade compared to magni2U, yes magni 3 a little bit more transparent and a little different soundstage, but magni2u have more evolving and fuller sound, bass is more defined with 2U, treble sounds more natural, vocals are more livlier . Magni3 as for me have sterile sounding, some kind of synthetic maybe, not interesting to listen - at all. Maybe modi 2 dac is not so good for this amp, i don't know. Actually i didn't understand all that hype around that amplifier... volume knob feels much cheaper compared to magni2uber, its not about visual, it's about feeling when regulating it, i didn't expected so cheap feelings about that. I'm not disappointed, i think that 50$ less - is quite reasonable for this unit.

p.s. i decided to stay with Magni2U at this moment, and sell magni 3 in my country. Don't know in which side to think for the system upgrade... :frowning2:

Little update: currently i listen to my xonar stx with dt 770 at home after work, and i found that sound of magni 3 brings schiit stack closer to xonar stx sound, but from that point of view and sound reproduction STX is better, but i don't prefer this sound, i find stx sounding... don't know how to describe this, too digital and harsh maybe... For gaming and cinema STX is ok, but not for music listening.
That is what I felt moving from Mjolnir to Magni2U hehe. Yeah the Magni2u sounds not as "transparently" as the Mjolnir but more natural and evolving. The most natural-sounding Schiit amps that I have heard are Asgard1 and Asgard2 then the Magni2/Magni2U. I think that is why class-A and class AB amps are so popular now. I dont say other topologies are not good but there must be something to do with the naturalness.

Nov 14, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #943 of 2,593
For sound without coloring, better to go with pro studio audio gear IMHO.

If you can afford it. And put in all the appropriate power filtering and other infrastructure that exists in a studio. The Magni 3 sits on my nightstand and does just fine. I might even put one in at work instead of the Magni, even though that's not a critical listening environment.

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #944 of 2,593
I finally decided to step up my headphone game at work, so I got my Modi Multibit and Magni 3 combo last week and have been listening to TH-X00 purplehearts with them throughout the week. They replaced a Fiio E17 and AKG K550s, which were obviously blown out of the water in all respects, and I'm having a really enjoyable and nostalgic time going back to listen to every corner of my music library.

I don't have much to compare to so I won't, but I do have a few things to mention:
  1. I hear a noticeable difference in bass between low and high gain, with high gain seeming to give a bit of a bass boost. In a lot of content this high gain bass boost sounds good, but other times it's just too much with these TH-X00 purplehearts (which are bassy to begin with). Specifically, when I put on Random Access Memories with high gain, the bass was overwhelming and muddy sounding. When I switched it to low gain and increased the knob (9 o'clock to about 12), I felt like the overall level was the same but the bass was a lot more manageable and tight.
  2. I also experience balance issues at low volumes, for about 10-15 degrees of rotation from zero. Not an issue for me, since that's still less than about half of my lowest listening level with these cans.
  3. My volume knob isn't mounted straight (or the pot is just cheap or defective). As in, when you turn the volume knob a full rotation, the outermost part of the knob wobbles by about 1mm and the knob is only straight (from above) when it's at 12 o'clock. This obviously doesn't affect usage, and I guess some corners need to be cut for the price, but it does still bother me a little.

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #945 of 2,593
I hear a noticeable difference in bass between low and high gain, with high gain seeming to give a bit of a bass boost.

This is because it's louder--we perceive more bass (relative to the rest of the sound) when the volume goes up. If you volume match with proper equipment, you'll see there's no difference.

That bloom you mention I daresay must be your headphones, not the amp.

Also, about the volume knob problem you mention in 3, I think you should return yours as defective. That's not normal. My volume pot is perfectly centered and smooth

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back