Magni 3 Impressions
Oct 23, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #722 of 2,593
Got the Magni 3 in today. Initial impressions is that it sounds good but a little flat(not as 3-dimensional) and lacking macrodynamics/slam compared to the UDA-1 with the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home. Will spend more time and finish the initial break-in on the Magni. Treble texture seems similar between the two amps so far.

Oct 23, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #723 of 2,593
I didn't even know the 3 existed until I stumbled across it on the Schiit website last week. I ordered one immediately, and I can't believe I was even considering the o2 anymore! Why would anybody buy anything else, except for variety/meeting different specific needs?

I'll start combing through the thread looking for Magni 3 comparisons with Project Polaris and Liquid Carbon. Now I don't NEED to "upgrade," if those two even qualify, but I'm still curious about what all is out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 23, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #724 of 2,593
I'm still curious if anyone has compared low-level listening comparisons between the M3 and M2/M2U. Is channel imbalance lower on the M3 or does the M3's overall higher power output offset that?

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #725 of 2,593
In regards to my Magni 3, I haven't noticed any heat issues, the original Magni 1 runs much hotter or it having the whooshing when the volume knob being turned some people have been mentioning.

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #727 of 2,593
Meantime, since replacing the stock pads on my HifiMAN HE-400S cans with the Focus pads, I can now hear the Magni 3 sound even better into the bass regions, 25-30 hours in and the slightly sat-upon initial sound has well gone and micro-dynamics and fine detail abound, never in your face, just naturally portrayed. I'm loving the fact that it now seems to very closely mirror the purity and sound balance from the coax output of the QP1R DAP to that of the Class A output of the DAP itself ....... almost that pure. Bass is deep, clear, extended and punchy. I've asked and expected this level of performance from far more expensive amps and never got it. The M3 just gets on with it and plays music. Put on something with layers of sound; Kate Bush's Aerial for example and I find it so easy to focus on any detail within each layer, like focusing a camera lens within the depth of field. That's without a Mimby etc, using the onboard DAC in the QP1R.

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #729 of 2,593
So I have Magni 2 and I'm torn between upgrading my DAC+amp Fiio E17K to a dedicated DAC like Modi 2 or upgrade my amp to Magni 3 or grab a Magni 2 Uber at $79 from Amazon ... cause HE400i n DT990 Pro i use at Gain n 12oclock ... N still feel "empty"
I like what Fiio sound like ... But I don't have any experience of any other DAC other than my MacBook pro 2015 ...
So any suggestions?
In future I'm saving for HD650 or any used n modded HD700/800 if I'm lucky to find them

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #730 of 2,593
So I have Magni 2 and I'm torn between upgrading my DAC+amp Fiio E17K to a dedicated DAC like Modi 2 or upgrade my amp to Magni 3 or grab a Magni 2 Uber at $79 from Amazon ... cause HE400i n DT990 Pro i use at Gain n 12oclock ... N still feel "empty"
I like what Fiio sound like ... But I don't have any experience of any other DAC other than my MacBook pro 2015 ...
So any suggestions?
In future I'm saving for HD650 or any used n modded HD700/800 if I'm lucky to find them
Personally, I would get the Magni 3 and then reassess my DAC choice if the Fiio is found lacking. I replaced a Magni 2 (non-Uber) with the Magni 3 and found it a much better sounding amp and a good choice to build around. I'm 3 weeks in with the Magni 3 and I'm still amazed at the life-like sound it produces.
Good luck with your choices!

Oct 24, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #731 of 2,593
Magni 3 arrived this morning!

Should I stack the amp on top of my Mimby, or does the DAC belong on top? The Mimby does run quite warm, and I obviously haven't tested the amp yet

Personally, I would get the Magni 3 and then reassess my DAC choice if the Fiio is found lacking. I replaced a Magni 2 (non-Uber) with the Magni 3 and found it a much better sounding amp and a good choice to build around. I'm 3 weeks in with the Magni 3 and I'm still amazed at the life-like sound it produces.
Good luck with your choices!

This is very good advice. If looks matter to you though, a Schiit stack does look very classy.

Oct 24, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #733 of 2,593
Magni 3 arrived this morning!

Should I stack the amp on top of my Mimby, or does the DAC belong on top? The Mimby does run quite warm, and I obviously haven't tested the amp yet

This is very good advice. If looks matter to you though, a Schiit stack does look very classy.

Personally, I would put them side by side although there may be a height difference since the Magni 3 uses new pressed in feet. If I had to stack, the Magni 3 would definitely go on top.

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #734 of 2,593
...Should I stack the amp on top of my Mimby, or does the DAC belong on top? The Mimby does run quite warm, and I obviously haven't tested the amp yet...

Ideally the DAC should be at the bottom (or at least not above any heat-producing device) and left on 24/7 for maximum thermal stability.
Side-by-side should be ok as long as there is space for airflow so the DAC isn't warmed up by other devices.

Amps like the Magni 3 go on top and are best left uncovered since they quickly get the hottest.

I would put cool devices like the SYS, Eitr, etc. below the DAC, as a general rule keeping electronics cooler is better, but I don't imagine a DAC would heat them up much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back