Magni 3 Impressions
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #706 of 2,593
I know what VA stands for - volt x amps = watts. But the label says 14VAC which is the RMS voltage rating of the wall wart. This is the voltage spec of the transformer, separate from the wattage rating of the transformer.

The 24VA rating of transformer says it can driver 24watts.

If the amp internally has +/-17v dual rail supply, I find it interesting how that can be achieved with a single output 14VAC transformer? Unless a voltage doubler is used. In any case - If specs say +/-17v dual rail (34v full swing) internally then 1.3W is possible.

Just curious how one gets 34v swing from nominal 19v swing transformer. Not impossible just requires either a DC step up or a doubler or dual output secondaries (not the case as jack is standard 2 pin 5.5mm barrel type).
Many have found inconsistencies before.
Schiit won't come out to talk about them.
Only make random comments about things which don't make sense and refer to other threads where they will not answer the same questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #707 of 2,593
...If the amp internally has +/-17v dual rail supply, I find it interesting how that can be achieved with a single output 14VAC transformer? Unless a voltage doubler is used...Just curious how one gets 34v swing from nominal 19v swing transformer. Not impossible just requires either a DC step up or a doubler...

Oh that is a good question, Schiit says they always use low-noise linear voltage regulators, which need a higher input voltage than they output.

So you're probably right, they increase the AC voltage inside the Magni 3 before it goes to the regulators.

That actually makes sense and is certainly a better solution than using a hazardous and probably impossible to find 40V wall transformer...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #708 of 2,593
Oh that is a good question, Schiit says they always use low-noise linear voltage regulators, which need a higher input voltage than they output.

So you're probably right, they increase the AC voltage inside the Magni 3 before it goes to the regulators.

That actually makes sense and is certainly a better solution than using a hazardous and probably impossible to find 40V wall transformer...

That is certainly plausible.
Considering how hot the Magni3 gets, it could be partially from voltage stepping/doubling.

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #709 of 2,593
Three words: half-wave rectification. No conspiracies, sorry.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 22, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #710 of 2,593
That is certainly plausible.
Considering how hot the Magni3 gets, it could be partially from voltage stepping/doubling.

I am now convinced that you got a defective Magni 3 and that is the basis for all your pronouncements.

My Magni 3 barely gets warm.

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #713 of 2,593
How does the Magni 3 pair with HD650?

It's great. I like it better than the Vali 2, though that is just a personal preference (it goes well with the Vali 2, too.).

The Magni 3 seems more relaxed in the mids, which is well suited in combination with the HD650, which is forward in that area.

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #714 of 2,593
It's great. I like it better than the Vali 2, though that is just a personal preference (it goes well with the Vali 2, too.).

The Magni 3 seems more relaxed in the mids, which is well suited in combination with the HD650, which is forward in that area.
Awesome, thanks a lot!

Also, I just ordered my Magni 3 and it's the first time I'm ever using an amp in my life (besides quickly trying the Fulla). I'm planning to connect it to a laptop, I've read that I need a Mini 3.5mm Jack to 2-male RCA adapter cable. Is that all I need, besides the adaptor they include in the package?

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #715 of 2,593
Awesome, thanks a lot!

Also, I just ordered my Magni 3 and it's the first time I'm ever using an amp in my life (besides quickly trying the Fulla). I'm planning to connect it to a laptop, I've read that I need a Mini 3.5mm Jack to 2-male RCA adapter cable. Is that all I need, besides the adaptor they include in the package?

Yes, that will work. If you're happy with the sound, that's all you need.

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #717 of 2,593
Cool, I just added a Modi 2 to my order.

So I guess I need RCA Cables and a USB A to B cable. Is it worth spending more on cables or should I go with whatever?

I would go with a little bit better quality than that. If you're in the UK, I'm not sure where else you would buy cables. If you were in the US, I would recommend Monoprice.

But yes, you need a USB 2.0 rated cable. Something like a Belkin would work.

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #718 of 2,593
Oct 23, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #720 of 2,593
*sticks fingers in ears* la la la Magni 3 la la la

Lol. I have the Magni 3 coming in tomorrow. Going to hook it up to my Sony UDA-1(which I use as a DAC, speaker amp, and headphone amp for 250-300 ohm headphones as it’s underpowered for any other headphones) which I have connected via optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back