Magni 3 Impressions
Oct 18, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #677 of 2,593
Forgive me if this has been asked, but as I recently got in on the 6XX drop, I had a question for anyone who has used both the Magni 3 and the Magni 2 Uber. Is the 3 worth the 30 dollar price difference? The 2U is on amazon for $80 and while I'm not on a super strict budget, any cost saving would be appreciated. Thanks
For what it's worth, malteaser's, from much of what I have heard about the M2U - and I haven't heard it myself - the $30 price difference is well worth it. The circuit of the M3 is basically exactly the same is in the new 100W Vidar amp, just scaled down to M3 size and after 20-25 hours or so on my new M3, I'm absolutely loving it! The HifiMAN HE400S cans are so smooth from top to bottom, not bright, not dull, the top end is the finest I've heard from any headphone amp in the last 26 years or so - and I've not heard all of them, just had a lot of experience, including building several of my own - midrange is even and is not disjointed at all moving through into the highs, which are extended and very detailed with superb focus. Frankly, I'm stunned with this amp! The only cans I don't like with it are my Sony MD-R1s, their frequency imbalances are shown up immediately, being far too bright and forward. Heck, this amp even drives my 600ohm Senn HD540 Reference cans which are 28 years old! Not perfectly but amazingly well, while not altering their own frequency quirks that I know so well. That's a great amp in my book. In saying that, I totally get "each to their own" :)

Oct 18, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #678 of 2,593
For what it's worth, malteaser's, from much of what I have heard about the M2U - and I haven't heard it myself - the $30 price difference is well worth it. The circuit of the M3 is basically exactly the same is in the new 100W Vidar amp, just scaled down to M3 size and after 20-25 hours or so on my new M3, I'm absolutely loving it! The HifiMAN HE400S cans are so smooth from top to bottom, not bright, not dull, the top end is the finest I've heard from any headphone amp in the last 26 years or so - and I've not heard all of them, just had a lot of experience, including building several of my own - midrange is even and is not disjointed at all moving through into the highs, which are extended and very detailed with superb focus. Frankly, I'm stunned with this amp! The only cans I don't like with it are my Sony MD-R1s, their frequency imbalances are shown up immediately, being far too bright and forward. Heck, this amp even drives my 600ohm Senn HD540 Reference cans which are 28 years old! Not perfectly but amazingly well, while not altering their own frequency quirks that I know so well. That's a great amp in my book. In saying that, I totally get "each to their own" :)
I agree that the Magni3 should be an upgrade to the Magni2/2U in every way.
Many people said the Magni 2 sounded similar to the Fulla 2 which is definitely bright.
The Magni 3 sounds more balanced vs the Fulla 2 Amp.

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #679 of 2,593
[QUOTE="Jimster480, post: 13792521, member: 468704
I read on another forum about the Pagoda and Musette. Its quite well known that NOS DAC's have a warmer sound.
Lyr2 is a tube amp, also something known for being warm and modifying the sound (like any tube amp).
The Magni 3 is definitely brighter than these other 2 Amps and it has a sharp response in the high end.
I tried it with 2 DAC's and 5 pairs of headphones, I'm not sure how you would have literally the opposite experience from me. Unless you are so used to warm sounds that you don't know what neutral sounds like, and even in that case you would still notice the Magni having sharper highs vs the other 2 Amps.
It also depends on how you have the Amps wired, because if you are using anything via the Magni's Pre-Amp outputs then the volume will be attenuated basically always to whatever is next in the chain unless Magni 3 Volume is at 100%.

I went from the DX7 -> A30 -> Magni 3 -> JDS o2
I did D30 -> Magni 3
D30 -> A30 -> Magni 3
DX7 -> Magni 3
and DX7 -> A30 -> JDS o2

They all came back with the same results. But it is worth noting that the A30 especially has a higher output impedance which could definitely affect frequency response depending on which headphones you are using.
When I use my A30 with my Denon D7200's it definitely changes the sound a bit, but this doesn't happen on any of my other headphones (Denon AH-MM400, Panasonic RP-HD10, 1More Quad, 1More Triple, Yamaha YH-2).
But then when I use the JDS o2 it sounds fine as it has a very low output impedance.
The D7200 has alot of sub-bass and it was noticeably reduced immediately with the Magni 3.

Its also worth noting that my A30 is Rolled with a LM4562 vs the stock OPA2134.

So its possible it has to do with headphone pairing specifically, or the Magni 3 tolerance per unit could be semi-high where they have different frequency responses.
Or it could be the output impedance of the DAC's you used, although the D30 has a higher impedance also so the result would be similar to my result if not exactly the same...[/QUOTE]

Since you've never heard either the Pagoda or Musette and are just parroting what others have said its sounds like you are only defending your purchase of the D30/A30. The Pagoda and Musette are not warm DACs, if anything they are neutral, very well extended and a touch bright compared to the Bimby. They may seem warm when compared to many D-S chips but I think its probably due to being so smooth and detailed. You can't just assume all R2R/NOS DACs are warm, its like saying all D-S DACs are bright, it comes down to the implementation of the chip by the manufacturer.

All amps wired to DAC with RCA cables (balanced cables for Pagoda to LC): source (PC) > optical splitter > Pagoda/Musette/Bimby/D30 (DACs) > Magni3/Asgard2/Lyr2/LC/A30 (amps) > headphones (no pre-outs of amps used)

The underlined is where I think there is a issue somewhere in your system or Magni3 because you seem to be the only one to say the Magni3 reduces bass. If there was any amp that might have seemed to reduce bass it was the Magni1/2 and O2.

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #680 of 2,593
Since you've never heard either the Pagoda or Musette and are just parroting what others have said its sounds like you are only defending your purchase of the D30/A30. The Pagoda and Musette are not warm DACs, if anything they are neutral, very well extended and a touch bright compared to the Bimby. They may seem warm when compared to many D-S chips but I think its probably due to being so smooth and detailed. You can't just assume all R2R/NOS DACs are warm, its like saying all D-S DACs are bright, it comes down to the implementation of the chip by the manufacturer.

All amps wired to DAC with RCA cables (balanced cables for Pagoda to LC): source (PC) > optical splitter > Pagoda/Musette/Bimby/D30 (DACs) > Magni3/Asgard2/Lyr2/LC/A30 (amps) > headphones (no pre-outs of amps used)

The underlined is where I think there is a issue somewhere in your system or Magni3 because you seem to be the only one to say the Magni3 reduces bass. If there was any amp that might have seemed to reduce bass it was the Magni1/2 and O2.

I'm not trying to defend any D30 purchase or A30 purchase lmao.
i have literally bought basically everything available on the mid-range market just to test it out.
As I did read on another forum from a number of people they noted that those specific DAC's were a bit warmer than others. I just read about them yesterday actually as I was looking into some R2R / NOS DAC's.
Its not a huge reduction in sub bass, but its surely there.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #681 of 2,593
[QUOTE="Jimster480, post: 13792521, member: 468704
I read on another forum about the Pagoda and Musette. Its quite well known that NOS DAC's have a warmer sound.
Lyr2 is a tube amp, also something known for being warm and modifying the sound (like any tube amp).
The Magni 3 is definitely brighter than these other 2 Amps and it has a sharp response in the high end.
I tried it with 2 DAC's and 5 pairs of headphones, I'm not sure how you would have literally the opposite experience from me. Unless you are so used to warm sounds that you don't know what neutral sounds like, and even in that case you would still notice the Magni having sharper highs vs the other 2 Amps.
It also depends on how you have the Amps wired, because if you are using anything via the Magni's Pre-Amp outputs then the volume will be attenuated basically always to whatever is next in the chain unless Magni 3 Volume is at 100%.

I went from the DX7 -> A30 -> Magni 3 -> JDS o2
I did D30 -> Magni 3
D30 -> A30 -> Magni 3
DX7 -> Magni 3
and DX7 -> A30 -> JDS o2

They all came back with the same results. But it is worth noting that the A30 especially has a higher output impedance which could definitely affect frequency response depending on which headphones you are using.
When I use my A30 with my Denon D7200's it definitely changes the sound a bit, but this doesn't happen on any of my other headphones (Denon AH-MM400, Panasonic RP-HD10, 1More Quad, 1More Triple, Yamaha YH-2).
But then when I use the JDS o2 it sounds fine as it has a very low output impedance.
The D7200 has alot of sub-bass and it was noticeably reduced immediately with the Magni 3.

Its also worth noting that my A30 is Rolled with a LM4562 vs the stock OPA2134.

So its possible it has to do with headphone pairing specifically, or the Magni 3 tolerance per unit could be semi-high where they have different frequency responses.
Or it could be the output impedance of the DAC's you used, although the D30 has a higher impedance also so the result would be similar to my result if not exactly the same...

The underlined is where I think there is a issue somewhere in your system or Magni3 because you seem to be the only one to say the Magni3 reduces bass. If there was any amp that might have seemed to reduce bass it was the Magni1/2 and O2.[/QUOTE]

As usual a very informative and sound response.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #682 of 2,593
For anyone who was wondering about the issues I was having. I received the amp back today from Schiit with a note stating that it was 100% functional. I’m very unhappy with the service I received because I found the problem myself today. The gain switch is bad/loose. The amp plays louder with a little downward pressure put on the switch(from high gain). Things happen and defective products get shipped sometimes.... but they clearly didn’t check it out fully when it was sent in for service... and that cost me almost $8.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #686 of 2,593
For anyone who was wondering about the issues I was having. I received the amp back today from Schiit with a note stating that it was 100% functional. I’m very unhappy with the service I received because I found the problem myself today. The gain switch is bad/loose. The amp plays louder with a little downward pressure put on the switch(from high gain). Things happen and defective products get shipped sometimes.... but they clearly didn’t check it out fully when it was sent in for service... and that cost me almost $8.
That's the S______ , so you have to send it back to have the gain switch replaced?

Oct 19, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #687 of 2,593
That's the S______ , so you have to send it back to have the gain switch replaced?

They wanted me to send it back in so they could look at it again. Instead, I requested a replacement amp be sent out right away...while my return is in transit.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #688 of 2,593
Sorry to hear about some concerns with the Magni 3, thankfully mine is perfect and not just in functionality, it's currently sounding like the best thing I've ever heard from my MacBook Pro. I figure it's really settling in now, a week old and already had 25-30+ hours on it, some of that just sitting warmed up.
Right at this moment, a couple of mid-term Genesis albums are playing through the M3, MacBook set to 24/96kHz in the settings (sounds better that way), Kimber USB via AQ Jitterbug into a MusicStreamer II+, through some very fine NZ Slinkylinks pure silver ICs (0.6M) and into the Magni 3, stock and well run in HiFiMan HE-400S cans punching out the best I've ever heard from the MS II+ DAC. Sure, it's not as pure as my Questyle QP1R running directly into the M3 via an Audioquest Evergreen 3.5mm to RCA cable, but damn is it rocking out! Dynamics, bass slam (looking forward to the new Focus pads for the HE-400S which are on their way), top end showing up easily the different recording qualities of the Abacab and We Can't Dance albums (via iTunes), the latter album simply the best controlled and cleanest sound I've heard from this album, Fading Lights bringing undistorted vocals and clarity from this slightly less compressed album than Abacab.
True, there is $1000 ($NZ when I bought it) worth of gear BEFORE the Magni 3, but man does it perform! Drum kit is tight, weighty and clearly recorded in it's own space, with Phil's vocals clearly separated and forward of the drum kit. The slight grain in the top end of the MSII+ is clearly obvious with most music (more during the more compressed sections) though still very enjoyable. The purest signal come via the QP1R straight in via coax out. Optical is actually even better into another good DAC, but that has since been sold in preparation for a Mimby.
With Joss Stone's Soul Sessions Vol 2, the kick drum has superb weight, easy to see a striker hitting the drum skin and feel the weight and air. Her voice is delightful, warm, yet with her characteristic edge when she belts it out. Strings smooth and detailed, natural. totally different recording than the previous ones and sounds like it, you'd think it was a completely different set-up, which is as it should be - if everything sounds similar then your electronics are colouring the music big time. Nothing is blended and lost as the music builds. Some instruments, such as cymbals and tambourines (always hard to get totally natural sounding) are just so alive and detailed and un-smeared that I'm looking for albums with extra high frequency detail to to hear more of what I've been missing. Jack White's Acoustic Recordings sound utterly natural, from hi-hat to tambourine, guitar sounds - knocking on the body - piano (maybe pianola), great vocals.
I sincerely hope you guys who have found issues with your new kit get them resolved soon and are able to get into enjoying your Magni 3. It's an outrageous buy and capable of showing wonderful results with really good gear behind it as well. I must try my M3 with the Marantz SACD player!

Oct 20, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #689 of 2,593
Ok, a quick update - I received a replacement Magni 3 to address the volume pot whooshing issue and...it also exhibits the same phenomenon, and at the exact same spot where the original Magni 3 did when it was brand new. I am now 100% sure that this is a common quirk of this model and is not something that people should replace their units for. My bet would be that it is caused by some kind of static electricity buildup within the volume pot that gets worse with time or with dry climatic conditions.

The amp sounds absolutely amazing though.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #690 of 2,593
Ok, a quick update - I received a replacement Magni 3 to address the volume pot whooshing issue and...it also exhibits the same phenomenon, and at the exact same spot where the original Magni 3 did when it was brand new. I am now 100% sure that this is a common quirk of this model and is not something that people should replace their units for. My bet would be that it is caused by some kind of static electricity buildup within the volume pot that gets worse with time or with dry climatic conditions.

The amp sounds absolutely amazing though.

I checked mine and it has the same issue. TBH, I don't consider it much of one, because 1) I use only low gain and 2) I'm a low volume listener who never goes beyond 11 o'clock on the dial and I'm usually around 9 o'clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back