Magni 3 Impressions
Oct 21, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #693 of 2,593
I’m not sure If my question fits in this thread. If not, please say so. Do you think this amp would make a good combination with the AKG K-712 pro?
Not sure if I can help as much as you need, I haven't heard the AKGs, but in my experience with the four headphones I have here, the Magni 3 is so neutral that it expresses the exact frequency balance of each of the headphones, from 22 ohms to 600 ohms, yes, it actually drives my 600 ohm Senn HD540Rs! Each headphone balance being totally different and being familiar with all of them over some years, I can say quite definitively they all sound like themselves. Bright and lacking in bass fullness will sound exactly like that ... and so on, right down to the modified Denon AH-D1000s, thicker in the bass, warm, lacking in really fine detail yet all of them are great fun.
Maybe Jason Stoddard is on the money, for many folks this amplifier really could be all you need. I still love my Valhalla 2 though :) ...... and my Sony MDR-1Rs are still better balanced with the Corda 2Move.

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #694 of 2,593
I’m not sure If my question fits in this thread. If not, please say so. Do you think this amp would make a good combination with the AKG K-712 pro?

It sounds amazing with my AKG Q701 which has the same impedance and sensitivity specs. It drives it easily on the low gain setting. I really think Schiit has a huge winner on their hand with the Magni 3. They really did not make a big deal about it when it launched but I honestly don't think there has ever been any amp that sounds this good at $99. It holds its own against all the amps I have ever tried, including the original Vali, the Vali 2 ($149), the Valhalla 2 ($349), and Bottlehead Crack with Speedball ($414+labor). The reason why I got the Magni 3 is because I needed a solid state amp that could drive planars and that would give me a low noise floor with maximum RFI protection. I live very close to an airport and have often been able to pick up all kinds of radar pings and clicks especially with the Crack in combination with certain tubes. What I did not expect is to get an amp that is so addictive sounding that I have not even turned on my Valhalla 2 in a week. Like I said before, the Magni 3 really capitalizes on everything that solid state amps are good at - speed, slam and a very low noise floor. It manages to avoid the traditional pitfalls of entry-level solid state amps - it is not too bright, it does not sound compressed, and does not have a narrow soundstage. Honestly, the fact that a headphone enthusiast can now get the Magni 3, the Vali 2, and Modi Multibit for under $500 is kind of incredible. I paid more than that for only my Bifrost Multibit less than 2 years ago!

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #695 of 2,593
It sounds amazing with my AKG Q701 which has the same impedance and sensitivity specs. It drives it easily on the low gain setting. I really think Schiit has a huge winner on their hand with the Magni 3. They really did not make a big deal about it when it launched but I honestly don't think there has ever been any amp that sounds this good at $99. It holds its own against all the amps I have ever tried, including the original Vali, the Vali 2 ($149), the Valhalla 2 ($349), and Bottlehead Crack with Speedball ($414+labor). The reason why I got the Magni 3 is because I needed a solid state amp that could drive planars and that would give me a low noise floor with maximum RFI protection. I live very close to an airport and have often been able to pick up all kinds of radar pings and clicks especially with the Crack in combination with certain tubes. What I did not expect is to get an amp that is so addictive sounding that I have not even turned on my Valhalla 2 in a week. Like I said before, the Magni 3 really capitalizes on everything that solid state amps are good at - speed, slam and a very low noise floor. It manages to avoid the traditional pitfalls of entry-level solid state amps - it is not too bright, it does not sound compressed, and does not have a narrow soundstage. Honestly, the fact that a headphone enthusiast can now get the Magni 3, the Vali 2, and Modi Multibit for under $500 is kind of incredible. I paid more than that for only my Bifrost Multibit less than 2 years ago!
Addictive is a good word! Sounds great even directly out from my Marantz DV6600 SACD/CD/DVD player and even with just Redbook CD. TajMo's new album sounds full of life and accurate enough to almost be a clone of the balance from the QP1R DAP, just a bigger sound, which is good news for me and shows the accuracy of the Magni 3. Loving it more each day.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #696 of 2,593
Thank you for your input in helping me in answering my question:
Do you think this amp would make a good combination with the AKG K-712 pro?

May I ask you an additional question. At the moment the AKG is connected to an Onkyo TX-8150 ( Headphone Output Impedance 390. Ω Headphone Rated Output 200 mW (32 Ω, 1 kHz, 10%))

Do you think the Magni 3 will be an improvement compared to the Onkyo? People say the AKG like a lot of current.

Sorry if this question is too simple but I have just discovered the world of headphones and am not technical at all.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #697 of 2,593

May I ask you an additional question. At the moment the AKG is connected to an Onkyo TX-8150 ( Headphone Output Impedance 390. Ω Headphone Rated Output 200 mW (32 Ω, 1 kHz, 10%))

Do you think the Magni 3 will be an improvement compared to the Onkyo? People say the AKG like a lot of current.

Sorry if this question is too simple but I have just discovered the world of headphones and am not technical at all.
Possibly quite an improvement! Such a high output impedance with the Onkyo comes via two resistors tapped off the output stages of the power amp and this will alter the frequency balance of some headphones, some significantly and others only a little.
The Magni 3 has less than 0.3 ohm output impedance at either level of gain, therefore generally will be pretty much impervious to the varying impedances of any headphones as the impedance of them rises and falls with frequency.
The Magni 3 puts out nearly six times the power output of the Onkyo at 50 ohms and 2 watts into 32 ohms with vastly less distortion.
This doesn't always mean you can't have a jolly old time listening to the Onkyo though :) My old Senn HD650s loved being driven by the headphone amp from a Yamaha A900 integrated!

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #699 of 2,593
I am so excited to consult you guys,that is it worth paying $150 extra for Asgard 2,given that Magni 3 is great at price $99?
Now that IS something I can't tell you :) It does give you a chance to play around with valves/tubes though. I almost bought the Vali 2, then decided on the Magni 3 instead - I can use the Valhalla 2 for playing with tubes. Still, in this world that has an excess of really expensive gear that isn't always as good as the price might suggest, $150 is a bargain ... unless you're a poor student :) - to upgrade to yet another great amp from Schiit Audio!

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #700 of 2,593
Hi, I currently have the Modi2U+Magni2U with HD600 headphone and loving it :)

I’ve been thinking of getting the Modi Multibit for a while now and with the Magni3 coming it’s even more interesting!

What would be the sonic difference of the MM+M3 over the uber stack?

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #701 of 2,593

I’ve been thinking of getting the Modi Multibit for a while now and with the Magni3 coming it’s even more interesting!

I don't have my own Mimby yet (next on my list), but from all the other stories I've heard here and from Schiit themselves, the M3 will bring smoother and more balanced sound and I CAN tell you that the M3 is very clean and detailed in the top end while being very even.

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #702 of 2,593
...Honestly, the fact that a headphone enthusiast can now get the Magni 3, the Vali 2, and Modi Multibit for under $500 is kind of incredible. I paid more than that for only my Bifrost Multibit less than 2 years ago!

Have thought the same thing...these products have great price-performance and have definitely impacted the value proposition of the next 'step up' in Schiit's product line.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #703 of 2,593

I have the mmm3 stack currently and had the mu2 stack for ages so I know it quite well. Will use hd650 as reference as I don't have the 600.

The mmm3 stack is slightly darker and noticeably more refined sounding. It has more heft in the low frequencies,a smoother midrange, and a much better treble section. Its also more detailed and dynamic sounding.

The m2u stack has a brittle treble section with more glare. Its a brighter presentation, but harsher sounding to me. I do love my old m2u stack, it served me well for years. But the mmm3 stack is superior.

Specifically to the hd650, I noticed more midbass Jr, but not in a bloated way. Just a slightly harder hitting bass section, with increased quality. Control seemed better. Hard to explain but easy to hear. Treble, though not as bright, has better definition and separation. Though the m2u stack sounds brighter, which should synergize better with the dark 650, it just doesn't sound as good. The treble was brittle sounding, and grainy. The mmm3 stack just sounds better.

Hope that helps

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #705 of 2,593

That looks like a horrible headphone output. So yes it definitely would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back