Magni 3 Impressions
Sep 28, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #256 of 2,593
How much can an amp effect soundstage? I'm coming from another entry/budget amp (the monoprice dac/amp combo) and the soundstage on the magni seems smaller and more intimate. Also has anyone noticed any change on vocals? To me vocals through the magni 3 definitely sound softer. I don't want to use the term veiled, because everyone has different definitions/interpretations of what veil is, but yea definitely softer sounding. I believe I saw someone else mention this

That said this thing gets loud when cranked up and it has very nice detail and transparency

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #257 of 2,593
Can someone that has the o2 amp and the Magni 3 make a comparison between them?
I'v joined the Massdrop's o2+SDAC drop and considering to cancel the purchase and buy the Magni 3 instead.
Is it worth paying extra 60$ for the M3 over the o2?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #258 of 2,593
I'v joined the Massdrop's o2+SDAC drop and considering to cancel the purchase and buy the Magni 3 instead.
Is it worth the extra 60$ over the o2?
The Magni 3 definitely has more power, but the o2 Amp will drive IEMs better.
So it depends on what your goals are overall.

The o2+SDAC is just that though, its a DAC + Amp.
The Magni 3 is just an Amp.

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #259 of 2,593
The Magni 3 definitely has more power, but the o2 Amp will drive IEMs better.
So it depends on what your goals are overall.

The o2+SDAC is just that though, its a DAC + Amp.
The Magni 3 is just an Amp.

Can you elaborate on what "O2 Amp will drive IEMs better." means? Not sure in what way that would be the case if it has more power.

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #260 of 2,593
Can you elaborate on what "O2 Amp will drive IEMs better." means? Not sure in what way that would be the case if it has more power.
Well "better" is subjective, but as some other people already noted. The huge amount of power available with Magni makes your volume control with sensitive headphones (especially sensitive IEMs) very limited.

With the o2 it doesn't have anywhere near the power output, so you have alot more control over your volume knob.

So it all depends on if you will be driving various headphones (especially power hungry ones) or if you will be driving primarily IEMs.

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #261 of 2,593
Agree, all our judgements are subjective. But yours wasn't really. It's a fact that a very powerful amp doesn't work well with a sensitive transducer as you stated. There are of course easy corrections for that. Looking back in the thread several have suggested adding some resistance will fix the problem.

I'm not a designer so I wouldn't have a clue where to set the low gain setting. Less gain like the O2 would certainly remove the need to add correction but then people with less efficient transducers would ask for more gain. Designer can't win and can't satisfy everyone.

My reason for responding to the original post has been clarified and it's an objective observation, but a curable one. What isn't clear is which amp excels in other ways. To me if the Magni 3 sounds better than the O2, then it's the right choice because a small adaptor can be used to cut the gain.

I haven't heard the O2. How does the sound stack up against a Magni 3? Now that's going to be a tough question since the DAC will be different....

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #262 of 2,593
Agree, all our judgements are subjective. But yours wasn't really. It's a fact that a very powerful amp doesn't work well with a sensitive transducer as you stated. There are of course easy corrections for that. Looking back in the thread several have suggested adding some resistance will fix the problem.

I'm not a designer so I wouldn't have a clue where to set the low gain setting. Less gain like the O2 would certainly remove the need to add correction but then people with less efficient transducers would ask for more gain. Designer can't win and can't satisfy everyone.

My reason for responding to the original post has been clarified and it's an objective observation, but a curable one. What isn't clear is which amp excels in other ways. To me if the Magni 3 sounds better than the O2, then it's the right choice because a small adaptor can be used to cut the gain.

I haven't heard the O2. How does the sound stack up against a Magni 3? Now that's going to be a tough question since the DAC will be different....

If you want an Amp that does everything, the A30 actually does satisfy anything you would need.
With 1.5W/channel output in Hi Mode on the highest gain it can drive any headphones basically.
It also has a 0db gain mode and Lo output.
Having both 3.5mm and 6.35mm jacks its literally the most versatile Amp on the market today.
This is my main amp that I use all day every day basically.

I have a Topping DX7 also (it has a an Amp built in) and a JDS Labs O2 and a Fulla2, but none of them are as versatile as the A30 which I can actually use with all my headphones.

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #263 of 2,593
If you want an Amp that does everything, the A30 actually does satisfy anything you would need.
With 1.5W/channel output in Hi Mode on the highest gain it can drive any headphones basically.
It also has a 0db gain mode and Lo output.
Having both 3.5mm and 6.35mm jacks its literally the most versatile Amp on the market today.
This is my main amp that I use all day every day basically.

I have a Topping DX7 also (it has a an Amp built in) and a JDS Labs O2 and a Fulla2, but none of them are as versatile as the A30 which I can actually use with all my headphones.

You are wise beyond your years Grasshopper. You talk of practical things which one can measure, feel and see. Which of these sounds the best in your subjective opinion? I have a hunch they are all pretty adequate solutions subjectively, but which, if any, makes you want to move, or the hair on your neck stand up? Which do you really like however practical or impractical it might be?

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #264 of 2,593
You are wise beyond your years Grasshopper. You talk of practical things which one can measure, feel and see. Which of these sounds the best in your subjective opinion? I have a hunch they are all pretty adequate solutions subjectively, but which, if any, makes you want to move, or the hair on your neck stand up? Which do you really like however practical or impractical it might be?
They all sound very similar.
The A30 has a replaceable OP-AMP which I swapped for a LM4562 and compared against my second stock A30.
The A30 with the upgraded OP-AMP sounds the best to me, but it is marginal and comes out the most in music with Cymbals and Harps.
But honestly this is with analytical listening.
I can plug any of my headphones into any of the 3 amps and listen all day.
Just the A30 offers by far the most granular volume control which to me makes it the best offering.
I've also cycled the DACs and they all sound similar to any of the outputs (can't test DX7 with another DAC, it only outputs).
I tested the other amps with the Fulla 2 (DAC section), Modi multibit, SMSL M8, SMSL M8A, Topping D30, FiiO K1 (with windows volume adjusted).
Most of them sound similar in terms of listening to every day music but each has their own characteristics, especially with the selectable filters on the M8/M8A.

Otherwise volume was the biggest factor, which is based on the output Voltage of each DAC specifically.

My favorite ones by My ears were M8 and the D30. For all around listening specifically.

So all I can say is choose what works based on what headphones you have / plan to own. Buy what is most versatile for everyday listening (if you plan to listen every day that is).

Sep 29, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #269 of 2,593
Is it worth paying extra 60$ for the M3 over the o2?

How did you come up with that extra $60 for M3?
O2 - $149, M3 - $99

Sep 29, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #270 of 2,593
How did you come up with that extra $60 for M3?
O2 - $149, M3 - $99

Its 150$ for the o2+sdac on Massdrop and 80$ for the sdac alone.
The Magni 3 is ~130$ for me (I don't live in the US, so ~30$ for shipping). If I would buy the Magni 3 + sdac it will cost me 210$. (60$ more)
Sorry for not explaining it before.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back