Magni 3 Impressions
Sep 29, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #272 of 2,593
Its 150$ for the o2+sdac on Massdrop and 80$ for the sdac alone.
The Magni 3 is ~130$ for me (I don't live in the US, so ~30$ for shipping). If I would buy the Magni 3 + sdac it will cost me 210$. (60$ more)
Sorry for not explaining it before.
Great explanation but you might want to change your location in your profile since it says USA if you didn't realize it.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #275 of 2,593
Just ordered an M3. Was going to order a second M2U for work anyway, then saw the M3 came out and is even cheaper than the M2U. The value!

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #277 of 2,593
I have a Vali 2 and Mimby stack for now. My headphones are the K7XX and HD650.

Is the Magni 3 worth getting with these cans? I've only ever had the Vali 2 for an amp, which seems like a very good match for the K7XX and decent for the 650s. I wonder what both headphones will do with the M3 or Jotunheim though, or some other amp out there.

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #278 of 2,593
And why would you go to the hassle of dealing with an individual, shipping etc, when if it's a few days old Schiit will take it back no questions asked?

There will be 15% restocking fee. I guess it will benefit others more than returning it back to schiit

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #279 of 2,593
Its 150$ for the o2+sdac on Massdrop and 80$ for the sdac alone.
The Magni 3 is ~130$ for me (I don't live in the US, so ~30$ for shipping). If I would buy the Magni 3 + sdac it will cost me 210$. (60$ more)
Sorry for not explaining it before.
Honestly I wouldn't buy the SDAC, get a Topping D30 or a Modi 2 if you want a "cheap" but good DAC.

There will be 15% restocking fee. I guess it will benefit others more than returning it back to schiit
Nevermind if you have to pay for return shipping. That could be and easy $30 lost.

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #280 of 2,593
So does anyone see any point in upgrading from the regular Magni 2 to the 3? I'm probably going to switch out the volume knob again to a true D shaft which is what this pot uses so I can get a more accurate idea of where it sits. The set screw while it works fine doesn't really give me a good idea since this isn't a threaded T18 pot.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #281 of 2,593
So does anyone see any point in upgrading from the regular Magni 2 to the 3? I'm probably going to switch out the volume knob again to a true D shaft which is what this pot uses so I can get a more accurate idea of where it sits. The set screw while it works fine doesn't really give me a good idea since this isn't a threaded T18 pot.
This depends on if you are happy with your Magni 2.

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #282 of 2,593
This depends on if you are happy with your Magni 2.

The only issue I have with it is having to jack my volume up to be able to get my 400is to a decent level but I don't know if double the power would translate to double the volume due to decibels being logarithmic in nature in relation to volume.

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #283 of 2,593
The only issue I have with it is having to jack my volume up to be able to get my 400is to a decent level but I don't know if double the power would translate to double the volume due to decibels being logarithmic in nature in relation to volume.
But if it gets to the volume you desire to listen at without distortion then you are fine :)

I listen a lower volumes so my volume POTs are usually set to low levels day in and day out.

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #284 of 2,593
I have a Vali 2 and Mimby stack for now. My headphones are the K7XX and HD650.

Is the Magni 3 worth getting with these cans? I've only ever had the Vali 2 for an amp, which seems like a very good match for the K7XX and decent for the 650s. I wonder what both headphones will do with the M3 or Jotunheim though, or some other amp out there.

I also have the Mimby & Vali 2 stack and got a Magni 3 the other day. I can't speak for the K7XX, but my HD650s and all the other headphones in my signature now seem a bit more lively & detailed with the Magni 3. The HD650s definitely benefit from the higher power output of the Magni 3. Overall, the Vali 2 has a softer signature than the Magni 3, but not in a bad way if you are into tubes. Thankfully, there is no harsh treble/brightness with the Magni 3 that can be found on many cheaper solid state amps. I truly enjoyed my Vali 2 over the past several months, but I plan to sell it since I now prefer the Magni 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back