Magni 3 Impressions
Sep 27, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #226 of 2,593
Can anyone compare the Magni 3 to the Magni 2 with the 400is? I noticed I was listening to them at 3 o clock with the Magni 2 at high gain. They felt pretty darn high to drive despite their low impedance. Curious to see if it wouldn't need as much effort to drive them loud.

Impedence is not a measure of efficiency. A low impedence transducer can use more power than a high impedence one if it’s less efficient. The variable that counts is dB per watt or milliwatt.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #227 of 2,593
Impedence is not a measure of efficiency. A low impedence transducer can use more power than a high impedence one if it’s less efficient. The variable that counts is dB per watt or milliwatt.

The math says they're decently efficient as I've ran the numbers through several amp calculators (93db/mW) but my ears tell me different. I'm almost 3/4 of the way with the Magni 2 to get the 400is to loud listening levels of above 80db.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #228 of 2,593
Surprising, Metallica's "Battery" measured 75db and that's plenty loud enough for me

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #229 of 2,593
I only listen to classical. So M3 is great for classical, right?
Thank you!

The depth of sound that this little amp continues to produce is nothing short of amazing if you ask me. As I listen to it, I am noticing more details open up, or at least draw me in. I really can't get enough.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #230 of 2,593
The depth of sound that this little amp continues to produce is nothing short of amazing if you ask me. As I listen to it, I am noticing more details open up, or at least draw me in. I really can't get enough.
Cool! Just wish someone would run a M3 behind Yggdrasil. And report back critically.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #232 of 2,593
Cool! Just wish someone would run a M3 behind Yggdrasil. And report back critically.

I've got a Loki Mini and Magni 3 arriving tomorrow. I might be tempted to hook the Magni up to Yggdrasil just to see what it can do.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #233 of 2,593
I wish I could get one, missed out by less than a day! In stock in uk late Mon evening sold out 6am Tues morning when I went to buy , just had an email back that schiit can't ship anymore to the supplier until at least the 6th of oct and that's not guaranteed and would not receive until the end of the following week i.e the 16th ish and again no guarantees.....could be a long wait for uk supplys.

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #234 of 2,593
The math says they're decently efficient as I've ran the numbers through several amp calculators (93db/mW) but my ears tell me different. I'm almost 3/4 of the way with the Magni 2 to get the 400is to loud listening levels of above 80db.

That may say more about the quality of the data than your ears. Louder is louder no matter what the specs say.

Sep 27, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #235 of 2,593
I've been using my Magni 3 for a couple hours now. My initial impressions compared to the Vali 2 are that the Magni 3 is cleaner, livelier, and noticeably more powerful. Sounds great so far with my HD650s and TH-X00 Ebonies. Definitely a great value for $99 and it pairs well with the Mimby. Don't get me wrong, the Vali 2 is still a great amp for those who prefer to flavor the sound signature with tubes. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to keep the Vali 2 though.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #236 of 2,593
Are you sure you mean 3-pole? Which one of these does it look like:

Lots of IEMs have TRRS (on the right here, generally referred to as 4-pole) for smartphones to use a remote/mic, which could cause an issue with some adapters.

TRS (the middle above) is usually called 3-pole and is just the old standard 3.5mm headphone connector, which shouldn't have any issue unless you have a bad adapter
You are right I have TRRS on the affected headphones.
But as I said it only poses a problem with the Fulla2 and nothing else that I own.

Does anyone have problems with their Magni 3 with the same TRRS devices?

Sep 27, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #237 of 2,593
You are right I have TRRS on the affected headphones.
But as I said it only poses a problem with the Fulla2 and nothing else that I own.

Does anyone have problems with their Magni 3 with the same TRRS devices?

My IEMs with TRRS don't work correctly with any of my 1/4" adapters on the Magni 3. The adapter on Amazon that was posted earlier should fix your problem though as it will convert them to plain TRS

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MV2PDCA/ref=asc_df_B00MV2PDCA5145894

Sep 27, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #238 of 2,593
My IEMs with TRRS don't work correctly with any of my 1/4" adapters on the Magni 3. The adapter on Amazon that was posted earlier should fix your problem though as it will convert them to plain TRS

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MV2PDCA/ref=asc_df_B00MV2PDCA5145894
So it must have something to do with how Schiit wires their products.
As it doesn't happen on my Topping A30, JDS O2, Topping DX7, FiiO K1.

Edit: I have ordered the adapter just for the future (and for use with my Fulla2 if I decide to unbox it again).

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #239 of 2,593
It is my opinion that for relatively smooth treble, the Vali 2, Asgard 2 and Lyr 2 are the best options for Schiit amps. I own the Vali 2 because it suits my needs(power and preference for smooth treble) and has a price point of under $200. I am curious as to whether the Magni 3 has smooth treble.

I can’t speak for the Magni 3 but I’ve A/B’d the Vali 2 with a Gold Lion and the Magni 2 Uber. I didn’t find an increase in treble at all with the 100% solid state Magni and if anything I found the soundstage to be wider. I also found details in the music to be a little bit clearer and more present with the Magni but not biting treble like one would assume. I’m hoping the Magni 3 is the same way. I’m getting ready to place an order.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #240 of 2,593
I've got a Loki Mini and Magni 3 arriving tomorrow. I might be tempted to hook the Magni up to Yggdrasil just to see what it can do.

Awesome! PLEASE DO SO and report back on your impressions. Would be much appreciated. I bet it's gonna sound a whole lot better than a lot of guys would suspect... =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back