Magni 3 Impressions
Sep 24, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #121 of 2,593
I received my Magni 3 yesterday and did some early comparisons before letting it run overnight and doing some more listening this morning. I did some A/Bs with the Jotunheim, using the Yggy as the DAC for both. Headphones used were Beyer T1s (original), Beyer DT880s (600 Ohm), Focal Elear, and Audeze LCD 2.2.

At this point, the Jotunheim still sounds better overall. It sounds slightly cleaner, with slightly clearer treble. I’ve seen the Magni 3 described as warmer, but it can also be characterized as slightly darker. I want to emphasize the differences are minor, and it is easy enough to just listen with the Magni 3 and not really miss anything.

To some of the listening I performed, noting that I listen extensively to classical music:

1. Lana Del Rey, Lust for Life: the Magni presents the singers’ voices extremely well, and is just as satisfying as the Jotunheim. Bass is basically the same, and fine details are present.

2. Air, Moon Safari: the warmer presentation of the Magni works fantastically well here, making it even more of an electronic dream, with Beth Hirsch’s voice as seductive as ever.

3. Róisín Murphy, Overpowered: Murphy’s voice sounds splendid, and the Magni generates headphone equivalents of thumping bass quite well. Again, some fine detail seems slightly less clear here than through the Jotunheim, and the Magni sounds slightly less spacious with some of the spatial and phase effects used in the recording.

4. Led Zeppelin III (newest remastering): I’ve listened to this in various forms (LP, cassette, CDs) hundreds of times for decades, and everything sounds just fine. Everything sounds just right, everything in the mix is there, and the vocals and instruments sound as natural as the new remastering allows.

5. Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Sonatas Opp 90, 101, 106 played by Steven Osborne on Hyperion: I selected this and the next recording to hear how well the Magni resolves fine details that are not musical in nature. Specifically, in this recording, the damper mechanism is audible throughout, as a soft ‘swish’ sound, and the Magni presents it just fine, if not quite as cleanly as the Jotunheim. This doesn’t lead directly to musical satisfaction, but it does render the upper registers of the piano a bit less crystalline, and slightly warmer sounding. I can envision some people preferring this type of sound. Dynamic range is superb and on par with the Jotunheim.

6. Gustave Samazeuilh, Piano Music played by Olivier Chauzu on Grand Piano: pretty much the same as above, but here, Chauzu’s pedal stomps might actually be slightly more prominent through the Magni.

7. Johannes Brahms, Piano Music played by Arcadi Volodos on Sony: this recording, one of the greatest recordings ever of any of Brahms’ piano music, sounds rich and dark and full, and the Magni slightly magnifies the richer and darker sound. The sound of Volodos’ fingernails hitting the keys is audible, demonstrating the fine detail is there. The Magni works exceedingly well here.

8. Richard Strauss, Don Quixote conducted by Lorin Maazel with Steven Isserlis playing cello on RCA. The slight diminution of clarity with the Magni is obvious here in the slightly less clear orchestral sections and slightly less distinctive wind trills. The sound is less spacious than the Jotunheim, as well. Again, the differences are minor, but they are there.

Here I ran into a volume limitation using the DT 880s. The recording is low level, requiring near unity gain through a conventional stereo, and I actually maxxed out the volume control. It was loud, to be sure, with big dynamic swings and forte tuttis slightly louder than comfortable (which is what I was shooting for), but I have some recordings even lower in level than this, and they might not be able to be played at a satisfying volume with the 600 Ohm DT 880s. There is no such limitation with the other headphones mentioned

The Magni works well with all the headphones listed. I’m a big fan of the Beyer sound, which I know not everyone is, and I must say that when paired with the DT 880, the result is especially good. The T1s and LCD 2.2s benefit from the greater refinement of the Jotunheim, while the Elears sound best, to my taste, when paired with the original Asgard. (I did not do any A/Bs with my other headphone amps yet.) Overall, for a hundred bucks, the Magni 3 is the Schiit.

Thanks for this. Were you able to compare it to the Asgard?

Sep 24, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #123 of 2,593
6db gain is already like 2x? Thats already way too high. But I suppose that the 2x gain would reduce the power of the Magni considerably.
I would love if someone from Schiit would chime in as to the power outputs being in favor of IEMs or not.

Using my Trinity Atlas IEMs with PC volume at 100% I've found listenable volume is between about 8-10 o'clock on the dial and the volume knob is very usable at low volumes, more so than the Vali 2 and much better than the Fulla 2, and I don't think I listen to music especially loud. So it does seem like Schiit has improved the usability of the knob at low volumes as they've said, and low gain will probably work for most people with IEMs, unless they're especially sensitive or you prefer very low volumes.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #124 of 2,593
Using my Trinity Atlas IEMs with PC volume at 100% I've found listenable volume is between about 8-10 o'clock on the dial and the volume knob is very usable at low volumes, more so than the Vali 2 and much better than the Fulla 2, and I don't think I listen to music especially loud. So it does seem like Schiit has improved the usability of the knob at low volumes as they've said, and low gain will probably work for most people with IEMs, unless they're especially sensitive or you prefer very low volumes.

Apologies if you've already stated, but you can you say where you have the volume when listening with the Magni 3 to HD6XX? Thanks.

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #126 of 2,593
Apologies if you've already stated, but you can you say where you have the volume when listening with the Magni 3 to HD6XX? Thanks.

About 11-3 o'clock on low gain, 8-11 o'clock on high gain

EDIT: updated

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #127 of 2,593
That's a huge difference considering I can't pass 9 o'clock on Magni 2.

Does the Modi Multibit have a 1.5v line out or is it a full 2v? That might be the difference.

Sep 24, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #129 of 2,593
That's a huge difference considering I can't pass 9 o'clock on Magni 2.

Does the Modi Multibit have a 1.5v line out or is it a full 2v? That might be the difference.

The Modi Multibit is 2V.

I generally listen to HD650 on my Vali 2 with the volume at 9 o'clock (on low gain), so I'm wondering if the Magni 3 will be usable for me with the extra gain.

Sep 24, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #130 of 2,593
Also keep in mind that volume can vary a lot with different music. With modern music in popular genres I'm definitely gonna be keeping the volume on the lower end (maybe even a bit lower than the lower end of what I listed above, now that I think about it) vs some older, pre-loudness wars stuff. My testing has mostly been with the latter

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #131 of 2,593
you'll definitely be below 9 on the dial, but should still be ok in general. i would say this though, the vali 2 to magni 3 is mostly a sidegrade, not an upgrade. just different flavors. if you want a lighter, clearer signature, then yes the m3 would be a nice fit. just dont expect a dramatic difference. the differences will be noticeable, but still subtle. that being said, on low gain you'll be fine with the m3 and nightowl.

Hey Eric, hope you're well.
So let me ask you, since I already own the Jot, would it be worth it to pick up the m3? Is there enough difference to take the plunge? It's very inexpensive, but inexpensive or not, if it's basically a clone of the Jot there's no need throwing $ out the window. Interested in your thoughts man.....or anyone's

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #132 of 2,593
Hey Eric, hope you're well.
So let me ask you, since I already own the Jot, would it be worth it to pick up the m3? Is there enough difference to take the plunge? It's very inexpensive, but inexpensive or not, if it's basically a clone of the Jot there's no need throwing $ out the window. Interested in your thoughts man.....or anyone's
Hey! All is well, busy busy busy with the little ones as usual. Hope you are doing Good as well!

Honestly they're quite similar sounding, so I'd say don't spend the $. If you're looking for an alternative amp with a different sonic flavor, try a different amp like the vali 2 or the massdrop cavalli liquid carbon xx.

When comparing the jot to the m3, I really couldn't hear much of a difference. The biggest differences I heard was the bass and treble on the jot was a touch better extended and detailed. The difference was subtle, not glaring. Its amazing how close the m3 gets to the jot, but I still think the jot is ever so slightly better sounding.

I only picked the m3 up because I want to swap out it for my vali 2 at work. I got bored with the vali and wanted a solid state amp in its place. If I had the space at work for the jot that would be my first choice as I think it's my best sounding amp.

Sep 24, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #133 of 2,593
Hey! All is well, busy busy busy with the little ones as usual. Hope you are doing Good as well!

Honestly they're quite similar sounding, so I'd say don't spend the $. If you're looking for an alternative amp with a different sonic flavor, try a different amp like the vali 2 or the massdrop cavalli liquid carbon xx.

When comparing the jot to the m3, I really couldn't hear much of a difference. The biggest differences I heard was the bass and treble on the jot was a touch better extended and detailed. The difference was subtle, not glaring. Its amazing how close the m3 gets to the jot, but I still think the jot is ever so slightly better sounding.

I only picked the m3 up because I want to swap out it for my vali 2 at work. I got bored with the vali and wanted a solid state amp in its place. If I had the space at work for the jot that would be my first choice as I think it's my best sounding amp.

Cool. Thank you for letting me save a bill. I swear anytime you buy something, there's always something else that comes out "almost" as good, a great deal less then the amount you paid for it. This is something I've learned quickly in this hobby.
Take care!

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #135 of 2,593
Yes, I have used the Magni 3 as a pre-amp (volume control) to my Airmotiv 4 desktop speakers. They sound the same. I didn't do any active listening or analysis but I do recall that the I I didn't have to crank the volume way up (don't remember the setting. I don't think Magni 3 will have any problem driving amps nor should it.

Afterthought: for twice the price of a passive switch and volume control (Sys) Schiit is supplying a quality amp. Even the damn wall wart is impressively heavy and large.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back