Magni 3 Impressions
Mar 18, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #2,401 of 2,593
That sounds consistent with what I found with the Magni 3 at full volume—plus it just ran out of gas with respect to volume. It just couldn’t handle the Beyerdynamic DT-880s @ 600 ohms and the AKG 240DFs @ 600 ohms.

If you’ve got them handy, I’d really like to know your impressions of the T1s driven by the Atom and the Magni 3. I Imagine others with demands cans would benefit as well.

Or....you could run the high-impedance Senns, Beyers, etc. on an OTL amp and your other cans off the SS amp. I do this with my Hi-Z Senns & Beyers on a Valhalla 2 and run the others off of a Magni 3, a Liquid Spark or an iCan SE depending on where I am in our house.

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #2,402 of 2,593
What are everyones thoughts on Lyr3 vs Magni3?

I recently upgraded to the Lyr3 (with multibit card and the Russian new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB) from the Magni3+Modi multibit (still keeping them).

In comparison, listening with HD6XX, the Lyr3 felt more musical and cleaner with more depth, texture, bass, and impact, while the Magni3 came out flatter and sometimes more harsh sounding in comparison.

I’m still keeping the Magni3, it’s still a very good amp, especially for the price.

Mar 18, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #2,403 of 2,593
I recently upgraded to the Lyr3 (with multibit card and the Russian new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB) from the Magni3+Modi multibit (still keeping them).

In comparison, listening with HD6XX, the Lyr3 felt more musical and cleaner with more depth, texture, bass, and impact, while the Magni3 came out flatter and sometimes more harsh sounding in comparison.

I’m still keeping the Magni3, it’s still a very good amp, especially for the price.

I think the price/performance ratio of the Magni 3 is exceptionally high so it would hardly make any sense to sell it. IMO.

Mar 18, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #2,404 of 2,593

Two variables in play...the Tube buffer of the Lyr3, and the gee-whiz that Jason built in to make it a $500 piece of Schiit instead of a $99 piece of Schiit ... welcome to tubes. The Magni sounds like a solid-state amplifier, and tubes sound different.

Mar 22, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #2,405 of 2,593

How about the detail level of the Lyr3 compared to the Magni3? Thanks

Mar 22, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #2,406 of 2,593
I have a Magni 3 arriving tomorrow. I sold my Jotunheim a short while back when my Lyr 3 arrived. I considered keeping it but with the Lyr 3, Saga, Eitr's, Modi Multibit, Modi 3, LOKI Mini, and modded SYS (level pot removed and replaced with soldered wire jumpers making it strictly a no-load A/B switcher - in my case used to split one of the Saga's outputs to two headphone amps - Lyr 3 and Magni 3) I did't really have room for the Jotunheim.

The Magni 3, though, fits in nicely and, should provide me with a listening experience similar to the Jotunheim - this is something I will definitely use with my custom Grado's on occasion - I really liked the Grado's through the Jot.

Time will tell. Looking forward to giving the Magni 3 a thorough listen!
How about the detail level on the Lyr3 compared to the Jot? Thanks

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #2,407 of 2,593
How about the detail level of the Lyr3 compared to the Magni3? Thanks

The Lyr3 is ahead in the details as well.
However, as said before, Magni3 is still a very good amp and no slouch in any regard. Had I not known the price point of the Magni3 I would have guessed it being closer to half the price of the Lyr3 than the fifth that is is!

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #2,408 of 2,593
How about the detail level on the Lyr3 compared to the Jot? Thanks

I don't have a Jotunheim any longer so I can't compare them directly now.

I did compare them when the Lyr 3 arrived and concluded that the two are similar on detail retrieval. Tonality, imaging, soundstage - these are areas where I feel the Lyr 3 is the better amp. The Jotunheim's treble could be a bit fatiguing after a couple of hours. I haven't found this to be an issue with the Lyr 3. Finally, the Lyr 3's sound can be tailored to some degree via tube rolling, and there are enough reasonably priced tube choices that on not need break the bank to do so.

The only reason I would opt for the Jotunheim is if I had a practical use for the balanced headphone out. I no longer own any headphones with balanced cable so the Lyr 3 is the better amp for my ears.

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #2,409 of 2,593
I don't have a Jotunheim any longer so I can't compare them directly now.

I did compare them when the Lyr 3 arrived and concluded that the two are similar on detail retrieval. Tonality, imaging, soundstage - these are areas where I feel the Lyr 3 is the better amp. The Jotunheim's treble could be a bit fatiguing after a couple of hours. I haven't found this to be an issue with the Lyr 3. Finally, the Lyr 3's sound can be tailored to some degree via tube rolling, and there are enough reasonably priced tube choices that on not need break the bank to do so.

The only reason I would opt for the Jotunheim is if I had a practical use for the balanced headphone out. I no longer own any headphones with balanced cable so the Lyr 3 is the better amp for my ears.
Treble on the Hot is what pushed me to Lyr 3, and I’m single-ended...

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #2,411 of 2,593
Shouldn't planars be easier to drive? Either way, they're only 45-Ohm so your power output on the Magni will be theoretically, well over 1W! HiFiMan doesnt like to or doesn't bother posting power handling, but I stopped paying attention to people's ideas about approximating headphone requirements based on sensitivity, when my 107 db/mW cans (contrary to many peoples' opinions) still didn't wake up without several hundred milliwatts, and even better when well over 1W.

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #2,412 of 2,593
Just spent a few hours comparing the Vali 2 /Tung-Sol 6sn7gt mouse ears combination with an FX Audio Tube 01 preamp/GE JAN 5654W tubes/Magni 3. The result IMO is the two are almost identical in sound quality which suprised the heck out of me. And I really like the Vali combo.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #2,413 of 2,593
Just spent a few hours comparing the Vali 2 /Tung-Sol 6sn7gt mouse ears combination with an FX Audio Tube 01 preamp/GE JAN 5654W tubes/Magni 3. The result IMO is the two are almost identical in sound quality which suprised the heck out of me. And I really like the Vali combo.

Not that your result should be a surprise, but it does cause one to wonder, what is your source? Since you make no mention of a DAC, I assume you're using an analog-out source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back