Magni 3 Impressions
Apr 22, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #2,431 of 2,593
Would a magni 3 be able to power a LCD X or LCD 2 decently ?
Audeze states a recommended power input of 250 mW, and they have a maximum of 5W for the LCD X. At 20-Ohms you will be between a maximum output power of 2,500 mW and 3,000 mW. I'm sure the continuous power is going to be well over 250 mW at maximum listening levels.

Apr 22, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #2,432 of 2,593
Would a magni 3 be able to power a LCD X or LCD 2 decently ?

They say that the LCD X is 20-Ohms and needs >250 milliwatts.
LCD 2 - Impedance 70 ohms and needs >250 milliwatts, also

Magni 3 puts out:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 3W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2W RMS per channel

so it should have plenty to offer

Apr 22, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #2,433 of 2,593
Audeze states a recommended power input of 250 mW, and they have a maximum of 5W for the LCD X. At 20-Ohms you will be between a maximum output power of 2,500 mW and 3,000 mW. I'm sure the continuous power is going to be well over 250 mW at maximum listening levels.

They say that the LCD X is 20-Ohms and needs >250 milliwatts.
LCD 2 - Impedance 70 ohms and needs >250 milliwatts, also

Magni 3 puts out:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 3W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2W RMS per channel

so it should have plenty to offer

Cool thanks, appreciate the help

May 19, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #2,435 of 2,593
I have an objective 2 amp and a Schiit magni 3. In order to match volume levels between the two amps , I have to turn the magni up 2 to 3 notches on the volume knob.
If I have the o2 on11:00 o'clock, I have to turn up the magni3 to 2:00 o'clock to get the same volume level.
Does anyone know why this is?

May 19, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #2,436 of 2,593
I have an objective 2 amp and a Schiit magni 3. In order to match volume levels between the two amps , I have to turn the magni up 2 to 3 notches on the volume knob.
If I have the o2 on11:00 o'clock, I have to turn up the magni3 to 2:00 o'clock to get the same volume level.
Does anyone know why this is?

The Magni 3 was designed so that easy to drive headphones would have sufficient range on the volume knob, in order to avoid channel imbalance because you can't turn the volume up past 8 o'clock. This was a complaint with previous Schiit amps, that you couldn't avoid channel imbalance because it became too loud past 8 o'clock.

Of course, now we have complaints of the opposite nature. You can't win. :ksc75smile:

FWIW, I am a low volume listener and generally have the Magni 3 at 11 o'clock with Senn HD650.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #2,437 of 2,593
The Magni 3 was designed so that easy to drive headphones would have sufficient range on the volume knob, in order to avoid channel imbalance because you can't turn the volume up past 8 o'clock. This was a complaint with previous Schiit amps, that you couldn't avoid channel imbalance because it became too loud past 8 o'clock.

Of course, now we have complaints of the opposite nature. You can't win. :ksc75smile:

FWIW, I am a low volume listener and generally have the Magni 3 at 11 o'clock with Senn HD650.
Thanks for the response. I suppose that could explain it..
I was using the hd6xx at low gain with the volume at about 2:30. With high gain I set it at 12:00 o'clock.
With the objective 2 the same volume level is achieved 2 to 3 notches lower, in either high gain or low gain.
It's not a big deal. It still sounds good. And the hd6xx is the hardest to drive of all my headphones.

May 20, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #2,438 of 2,593

I usually keep it at 9:30 (low gain) for HD6XX.
Not a terribly big difference to the 9 o’clock I used to have on the Magni2U - but that probably is I part because of the Modi Multibit I use with the Magni3 having a higher output level.

Interestingly, despite having tons of more power, I have my Lyr3 multibit also at 9 o’clock (high gain) :)

May 20, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #2,439 of 2,593
I usually keep it at 9:30 (low gain) for HD6XX.
Not a terribly big difference to the 9 o’clock I used to have on the Magni2U - but that probably is I part because of the Modi Multibit I use with the Magni3 having a higher output level.

Interestingly, despite having tons of more power, I have my Lyr3 multibit also at 9 o’clock (high gain) :)
I wonder if the output voltage on the source has something to do with it.
Maybe my objective 2 doesn't need as high an input voltage as the magni 3. Sort of like how different headphones have different sensitivity ratings.

I don't know enough about electronics to know what input impedance ratings mean for power amps; but the objective 2 apparently has an imput impedance rating of 10 kohms. The magni 3 has an input impedance rating of 25 kohms.

May 27, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #2,440 of 2,593
Why Magni 3, with power consumption of only 6w, is more powerful than Asgard 2, with power consumption of 30w?!

The Magni is a push pull amplifier which is more efficient plus they sound better than a class A in my opinion. Class AB amplifiers have a better rhythm and pace and get you moving. Class A amplifiers are biased very high and get very hot due to the transistor doing both the positive and negative part of the sign-wave. This is wasted energy and requires a lot of current to keep the transistors running. This is why the Asgard 2 has a 30 watt draw.

May 28, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #2,441 of 2,593
I just got a magni 3. It's my first headphone amp. At low volumes (up to a little less than 9 o clock) sound only comes out of my left headphone cup. Soon after that sound starts coming out of the right cup as well, and by 11 o clock I think the volume coming out of both channels is the same, but I can't be sure.

Is this normal?

May 28, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #2,442 of 2,593
Just got my yesterday and it's also my first headphone amp. I just tried it and with my unit it's only the right channel playing at very low volume, but I'd never use it that low so it's ok for me. But I expected a bit more power from it reading from everyone about it. I use it at low gain at 75% for music

May 28, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #2,443 of 2,593
Just got my yesterday and it's also my first headphone amp. I just tried it and with my unit it's only the right channel playing at very low volume, but I'd never use it that low so it's ok for me. But I expected a bit more power from it reading from everyone about it. I use it at low gain at 75% for music
To drive my hd6xx to 80db-85db , I run my magni3 at 75%; which is fine. If I want to run it on high gain, I set it to 50%.It's not a problem, for me.

May 28, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #2,444 of 2,593

It all depends on your source, and what headphones you are using. What is your equipment list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back