Magni 3 Impressions
Mar 28, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #2,417 of 2,593
I run my IEMs using the SE outputs of my Yggy > Sys > Loki > Magni 3 or Vali 2. I have an Amperex 6DJ8 in the Vali 2. The Magni 3 is a great amp for the price but it presents a flat sound stage: no depth compared to the Vali 2. Can't use the IEMs off my Kenzie because the output impedance is too high. I keep the Magni 3 around as a spare but much prefer the Vali 2. With a better tube it is twice the price of the Magni 3 but a significant step up in sound quality in my system.

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #2,418 of 2,593
I run my IEMs using the SE outputs of my Yggy > Sys > Loki > Magni 3 or Vali 2. I have an Amperex 6DJ8 in the Vali 2. The Magni 3 is a great amp for the price but it presents a flat sound stage: no depth compared to the Vali 2. Can't use the IEMs off my Kenzie because the output impedance is too high. I keep the Magni 3 around as a spare but much prefer the Vali 2. With a better tube it is twice the price of the Magni 3 but a significant step up in sound quality in my system.
Hi,
$2000 dac paired with $100 amplifiers? May I ask if they are your main amps? I guess they are not. Thanks

Mar 30, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #2,419 of 2,593
Hi,
$2000 dac paired with $100 amplifiers? May I ask if they are your main amps? I guess they are not. Thanks
Look at his sig. That Kenzie tube amp from ampsandsound looks (and probably sounds) sweet! But I’m in complete agreement with his Vali assessment. Love that little amp!

Mar 30, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #2,420 of 2,593
Hi,

Of course not! That is clearly not allowed in the Head-Fi TOS :wink:

Now that we have our own CNC and 3D printer (Tormach 440 and Formlabs Form 2, in case you're interested), I'm tempted to make a one-off beautiful NC-milled-from-a-solid-block-of-aluminum style chassis, hang a couple of tubes out the top and light them up (just the heaters), and stick a Magni 3 inside. Then cart it around to shows to display our "new upscale design philosophy," listen intently as people proclaim it far superior to anything we've ever made...then flip it over and show them the Magni 3 guts.

Of course, this is an excellent metaphor for (some of) the ultra-high-end, so it may be a little too on-point. So I probably won't do it...

Man...I'd love to see Jason do this :ksc75smile:

Mar 30, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #2,421 of 2,593
Hi,

The output impedance of my main Kenzie amp is 32 Ohms chosen by Jason at ampsandsound to work best with my 300 Ohm HD800S phones. I can run my 14 Ohm IEMs from the Kenzie but the frequency response is off due to the impedance mismatch, highs are subdued and bass is tubby.

You need an amp with an output impedance of only a few Ohms to properly drive inner ear monitors, hence the Vali 2 dedicated to my IEMs. @JamminVMI is right the Kenzie is a great tube amp but it was designed for higher impedance dynamic phones. I love IEMs when I have to get work done and block out noisy neighbours. Using a Yggy with a Vali 2 may seem overkill but the quality of the DAC easily lets me hear the differences in amps.

Mar 31, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #2,423 of 2,593
Considered trying an adapter with resistors, just for the sake of experimentation?

Nope the Kenzie was never intended to drive low impedance phones from the 32 Ohm tap on the output transformer. Both the Magni 3 and Vali 2 are very capable with IEMS on low gain setting. I think you get best sound quality using the amp as intended by the designer.

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #2,424 of 2,593
Haha, Schiit's gettin' crazy!

I wonder if Schiit will one day release a all-in-one unit or will we be forever building up and up our schiit stack! LOL :joy:
Gosh I sure hope not. The upgradability of components as they improve in the lower price range which Schiit dominates is what sets them apart from the "system in a box". I think they could expand their accessory line to include either the plastic blocks for stacking the Modi-form factor units, or a beautiful silver-tone and clear "rack"

Apr 16, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #2,426 of 2,593
After using the Vali 2 that I got a few weeks ago I went back to the Magni3 and it makes me appreciate even more. While the Vali is nice the main headphones I use I feel still sound better on the Magni. My LCD-2C and Nightowl sound better with the Magni since they sound clearer with more detail than on the Vali. I do like the Elear more with the Vali but they have a bit more detail on the Magni. I like the Vali but the Magni is still going to be my work horse.

Apr 20, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #2,427 of 2,593
What are everyones thoughts on Lyr3 vs Magni3?
I have both, and to my ears there’s a big difference in soundstage, overall detail, and (obviously),power. And on to of that, you can roll to find the sound you prefer (and neither of the “stock” tube choices are slouches, either.

Was listening to the soundtrack from When Marnie Was Here (Priscilla Ahn) today, and L3 is so revealing when it comes to textured vocals!

I concur. I would add that the Magni 3 is much like having a mini Jotunheim with the treble issues (perceived by some folks) resolved. It's a great sounding little Solid State headamp that may suffer in direct comparison with the Lyr 3 but stands on its own strengths just the same. It sounds far better than it has a right to at its price point. I listen using the Magni 3 occasionally just for a change of pace (though admittedly tube rolling with the Lyr 3 is a more satisfying way to change things up). As good as the Lyr 3 is (especially with a few select tubes) I still enjoy listening with the Magni 3.

Apr 20, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #2,429 of 2,593
I concur. I would add that the Magni 3 is much like having a mini Jotunheim with the treble issues (perceived by some folks) resolved. It's a great sounding little Solid State headamp that may suffer in direct comparison with the Lyr 3 but stands on its own strengths just the same. It sounds far better than it has a right to at its price point. I listen using the Magni 3 occasionally just for a change of pace (though admittedly tube rolling with the Lyr 3 is a more satisfying way to change things up). As good as the Lyr 3 is (especially with a few select tubes) I still enjoy listening with the Magni 3.
The Magni3 made me a specs-believer. According to Lyr 3's specs, it is hard to think that the Lyr 3 has a more detailed sound than the Magni3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back