Magni 3 Impressions
Feb 27, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #2,371 of 2,593
I'm starting to feel that Schiit would do well to offer the option of a stepped attenuator for those who don't want to worry about potentiometer issues.

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #2,372 of 2,593
I'm starting to feel that Schiit would do well to offer the option of a stepped attenuator for those who don't want to worry about potentiometer issues.

I've arranged for a replacement from Schiit. But to be honest I think I'm going to stick with my Teac HA-501 I reconnected it last night and find its far more nuetral and detailed than the Magni, and actually sounds great with the Modi 3.. So if anyone is looking for a Magni 3...

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #2,374 of 2,593
The JDS Atom is looking real nice ...

Mar 9, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #2,375 of 2,593
The JDS Atom is looking real nice ...

It does but I’m having a hard time believing my old ears will hear a big difference to justify the swap.

What would be a meaningful upgrade to the magni3 and how much would I have to spend to get it? Using LCD2C now.

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #2,376 of 2,593
It does but I’m having a hard time believing my old ears will hear a big difference to justify the swap.

What would be a meaningful upgrade to the magni3 and how much would I have to spend to get it? Using LCD2C now.

Good question. I've just sold the Jotunheim because I like the Magni 3 more with the HD650 and the Aeon Closed.

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #2,377 of 2,593

I’m an objectivist in that I accept the research which says people can’t generally tell one amp from another of similar power in blind testing. I also have 53 year old ears. That said, I definitely think my Lyr 3 sounds better than my Magni 3 with my Aeon Flow closed and Aeon Flow open headphones. The difference isn’t as noticable on my 400i or Elex headphones. I don’t know if I’m fooling myself or if the difference is real, but I can tell you the nicer amp does increase my enjoyment. The price difference between the Lyr 3 and the Magni 3 was about $400- a non- trivial amount.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #2,378 of 2,593
My volume pot has a little wiggle and the right channel scratches when I rotate the knob. I am not going to bother sending it back. Seems a common problem with the Magni, haven't heard of it causing a failure?
The scratch was getting worse, so I rotated the volume knob quickly several times back and forth. That fixed it, no more ugly sound when it's rotated now.

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #2,382 of 2,593
I have a Magni 3 arriving tomorrow. I sold my Jotunheim a short while back when my Lyr 3 arrived. I considered keeping it but with the Lyr 3, Saga, Eitr's, Modi Multibit, Modi 3, LOKI Mini, and modded SYS (level pot removed and replaced with soldered wire jumpers making it strictly a no-load A/B switcher - in my case used to split one of the Saga's outputs to two headphone amps - Lyr 3 and Magni 3) I did't really have room for the Jotunheim.

The Magni 3, though, fits in nicely and, should provide me with a listening experience similar to the Jotunheim - this is something I will definitely use with my custom Grado's on occasion - I really liked the Grado's through the Jot.

Time will tell. Looking forward to giving the Magni 3 a thorough listen!

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #2,383 of 2,593
I have a Magni 3 arriving tomorrow. I sold my Jotunheim a short while back when my Lyr 3 arrived. I considered keeping it but with the Lyr 3, Saga, Eitr's, Modi Multibit, Modi 3, LOKI Mini, and modded SYS (level pot removed and replaced with soldered wire jumpers making it strictly a no-load A/B switcher - in my case used to split one of the Saga's outputs to two headphone amps - Lyr 3 and Magni 3) I did't really have room for the Jotunheim.

The Magni 3, though, fits in nicely and, should provide me with a listening experience similar to the Jotunheim - this is something I will definitely use with my custom Grado's on occasion - I really liked the Grado's through the Jot.

Time will tell. Looking forward to giving the Magni 3 a thorough listen!

I think you won't be disappointed. I've sold my Jot because I liked the Magni more.

Mar 15, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #2,385 of 2,593
I told him to but both times it seem to work with no issues after.

Yeah well one day VERY SOON your buddies amp will let out all the magic smoke and be finished..... maybe even start a fire. Tell him to contact Schiit for a replacement while he still can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back