Magni 3 Impressions
Feb 7, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #2,341 of 2,593
I absolutely, agree that having a channel drop out at any given volume is not normal. However, his having too much volume to listen at anything, but the lowest setting (where the channel drops out) is a product of mismatched gear, in my opinion. Your Byron's are in a wonderful position to be destroyed if you ever accidentally, turned you volume yo too high. :)

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #2,342 of 2,593
Do you think it can be a good idea to use the Magni 3 as a preamp for the Vali 2 ?

No. Just ditch the Vali2 if you already have the Magni3. Otheerwise look up to the Lyr3

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #2,343 of 2,593
No. Just ditch the Vali2 if you already have the Magni3. Otheerwise look up to the Lyr3
I have both indeed, and I still don't know what to do with them.

My Vali 2 got a Tung-Sol 6SN7GT New Prod and I still wonder about which I prefer.

On the Vali 2 tube rolling thread I read a majority or people that prefer the Vali 2 with the Tung-Sol tube over the Magni 3.

Why do you think I should get rid of the Vali 2 (and should I go for a Lyr 3) ?

Feb 8, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #2,344 of 2,593

My Vali 2 got a Tung-Sol 6SN7GT New Prod and I still wonder about which I prefer.

On the Vali 2 tube rolling thread I read a majority or people that prefer the Vali 2 with the Tung-Sol tube over the Magni 3.

Tube vs. solid state. I have both and use them separately for different types of Music. I prefer the vintage (made in the US) Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB which are fairly cheap on eBay.
No reason to ditch either.
And to upgrade to a Lyr 3, you are comparing a $500 HP amp to a $149 amp. Like a Ford vs. a Lincoln Town Car. Both will transport you, and both come from Ford, everything else is luxury accessories.
Lyr 3 is one 6SN7 tube, and his some of Jason's Gee-Whiz in the circuits.

Feb 9, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #2,345 of 2,593
When I was testing my headphones against the HD 6XX at CanJam on a Modi/Magni stack, I also compared with the Modi/Vali stack, and the Vali had a more musical (read that: greater emphasis on) midrange, but I prefer a neutral sound so stuck with the Magni. If you like jazz or operatic music, you'll probably enjoy the Vali.

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #2,346 of 2,593
When I was testing my headphones against the HD 6XX at CanJam on a Modi/Magni stack, I also compared with the Modi/Vali stack, and the Vali had a more musical (read that: greater emphasis on) midrange, but I prefer a neutral sound so stuck with the Magni. If you like jazz or operatic music, you'll probably enjoy the Vali.
I have both, and prefer the Vali 2 for all music types, fed by Mimby. But all that says is that we’re all different, and we all have preferences. Find what sounds best to you...

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #2,347 of 2,593
Well, I still have a recurrent/intermittent hum on all outlets of the house (1950s with 2 year old addition) with the magni 3. My little dot 1+ is just fine. I am curious to see if the JDS Atom (same price) has the same problem at my home.

Feb 11, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #2,348 of 2,593
i know that it could sound like blasfemy, but i am using ether 2 with magni 3 atm. and on hi gain i don't feel that autority i hoped since it was supposed to put 3 watt on 16 ohm.
my lake people was 750mw on 16 ohm but it sounded fuller. it is almost like magni 3 is struggling.also it seems to be harsher. maybe i should burn in before getting rid of it

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #2,350 of 2,593

I guess I should ask you what headphones you are using first. I only got rid of my Vali2 because it could not properly drive my 600ohm Sennheiser HD540.

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #2,351 of 2,593
I guess I should ask you what headphones you are using first. I only got rid of my Vali2 because it could not properly drive my 600ohm Sennheiser HD540.
I'm using a modest BeyerDynamics DT770 Pro 80 ohm mostly, and a Bowers & Wilkins P7.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #2,353 of 2,593
I'm using a modest BeyerDynamics DT770 Pro 80 ohm mostly, and a Bowers & Wilkins P7.

Then you should be fine with the Vali2. Get a high quality adapter and start rolling some 6SN7 tubes. Fantastic sound.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #2,354 of 2,593
st-tubes.JPG
I have both, and prefer the Vali 2 for all music types, fed by Mimby. But all that says is that we’re all different, and we all have preferences. Find what sounds best to you...

Same hear (sic) I also have both the Magni 3 and I love the Vali 2 for rolling. One-hole, one or two tubes--with an adapter is an excellent combo with Mimby fed by Toslink from network Ethernet source.

Here are some 1940s ST (Shoulder Tall) type 6J5 tubes in a dual adapter. It seems that this set-up works quite well with the topology of the Vali 2.
I assume that it would also work on a Lyr 3, but have no experience with that option.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #2,355 of 2,593
I have a little Dot 1+, with upgraded Burson V5i op amp and yugslovia 6hm5 tall bottle tubes. Sounds wonderful. Just wish I had a tube preamp for my speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back