Magni 3 Impressions
Nov 12, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #2,176 of 2,593
If you want power and transparency with a great price, look no further than the THX AAA 789 from massdrop. Its an amazing amp. The cleanest and smoothest amp I've ever heard. Wire with gain is the best description I can give it. Seems to be right up your alley now.
That sounds very interesting. It does not seem to be available now. I really like Magni 3's sound quality though. Wonder what specific improvement the THX AAA 789 would bring to the table. Have you listened to it?

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #2,177 of 2,593
That sounds very interesting. It does not seem to be available now. I really like Magni 3's sound quality though. Wonder what specific improvement the THX AAA 789 would bring to the table. Have you listened to it?
I have the magni 3 and the THX. The biggest differences I find between the two of them is the way treble is produced as well as the speed and impact of notes. The magni 3 is often described as a transparent amp, but i've found it to be quite harsh especially as you get to louder volumes. The THX somehow manages to be even more "transparent" with a much blacker background while maintaining a smoothness to it that the magni 3 just can't compete with. THe volume pot of the thx is in another league all-together as well. I've already had one pot replaced under warranty on the magni 3 and while the new one does not make the scratchy noise as much, its still there when you adjust volume while music is playing. Not very refined. The magni 3 remains a steal at $99 though for the sheer amount of total performance you get for the price even with its quirks. With the loki added to it to tame the characteristics I don't like its been a great all rounder rig that works with all my headphones.

The THX does not become fatiguing to me at all. Its actually the first amp that has made me like treble. This is even the case when used in SE in which the magni 3 is actually more powerful. Driven to the same perceived volume has the THX remaining smooth and loud where the magni 3 becomes shrill imo. Balanced is where the THX really shines as far as sheer output goes and delivers double the output of the magni 3. Other things like sound stage are less noticeable for me between the 2 with the THX maybe having a slight edge, but I suspect its just my source that's holding both back(Topping D50 for tests). Imaging is much better though on the THX, I guess due to the much superior cross talk specs? All in all the THX is just in another league compared to the magni 3, but at $350 its quite a bit more money. I've not had a chance to listen to the THX with my mimby and Audeze LCD2C yet, but I've listened to the LCD2C with the thx and d50 and they were nice, especially given the sometimes shouty aspect of those Audeze cans in certain treble regions. I hope this helps you, I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but these are the main aspects that jump out at me between the 2.

Hopefully the THX will be dropping again soon for those interested.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #2,178 of 2,593
Hi everyone. I just noticed a little quirk about my Magni 3 and was wondering if this is something that anyone else is experiencing. Basically, when turning down the volume to zero, the left channel cuts out earlier than the right channel, but only between 7 and 7:30 o'clock. Between 7:30 and 8, there is channel imbalance. Above 8 o'clock both channels can be heard and there is no imbalance.
Now, I know that it is perfectly normal to have channel imbalance at very low volumes, but I am just wondering if anyone has experienced one of the channels going down to zero volume while the other one is still audible at extremely low volumes. It is really an academic question, but I am just curious.

That's fairly typical of the low range of audio taper pots, especially most inexpensive ones (even Alps). That's also why Schiit products like the Saga and Freya use relay-stepped attenuators, to get around that typical channel-imbalance.

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #2,179 of 2,593

They are available now, but only for less than 24 hours. I've been listening to my Hifiman he-400i on the thx with the balanced out and all I can say is wow. Blows magni 3 out of the water. I never thought power could make this much of a difference, but it seems the 400i really does need alot to shine. I'm not listening to them at a higher volume, but everything has been given more weight and texture. The treble is even smoother now with loud crashes in classical pieces not being as uncomfortable. Imaging is even better and sound stage is further improved as well with balanced. Highly recommend this amp.

Nov 14, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #2,180 of 2,593
I have another question for experts here regarding low vs high gain. I know that this topic has been discussed extensively in general with no consensus. With my HD600, I can use either low gain or high gain setting to get acceptable volumes. With low gain, the volume pot is generally between 2 and 5 o'clock (all the way up), while it is anywhere between 9 and 12 o'clock using the high gain setting. I know a lot of people think that high gain generally produces better sound. Are there any technical explanations for this? Would the overall distortion increase if one was to volume match the signal using high gain vs low gain?

There is the theory that turning the volume pot all the way up in low gain mode increases distortion more than leaving it in 12 o'clock position using high gain mode. Is this just a myth?

Any input will be appreciated.

Nov 14, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #2,181 of 2,593
I think high/low gain doesn't matter as much on the HD 600s due to the higher impedance/lower efficiency. The main thing for me regarding high/low gain is that the noise floor gets pushed higher on high gain(obviously), which is quite annoying since that noise floor comes through on more efficient headphones.

When it comes to sound, just do some listening tests and see what you prefer. A lot of people prefer a distorted sound(e.g. tubes) so whether or not setting the pot to 5 o'clock on low gain causes distortion is a small point in the grand scheme of things. If you can't tell a difference, I'd probably just leave it in low gain for more range of volume control.

Nov 14, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #2,182 of 2,593
I have another question for experts here regarding low vs high gain. I know that this topic has been discussed extensively in general with no consensus. With my HD600, I can use either low gain or high gain setting to get acceptable volumes. With low gain, the volume pot is generally between 2 and 5 o'clock (all the way up), while it is anywhere between 9 and 12 o'clock using the high gain setting. I know a lot of people think that high gain generally produces better sound. Are there any technical explanations for this? Would the overall distortion increase if one was to volume match the signal using high gain vs low gain?

There is the theory that turning the volume pot all the way up in low gain mode increases distortion more than leaving it in 12 o'clock position using high gain mode. Is this just a myth?

I think this is a good question for Schiit Audio tech support. I know how gain vs distortion works with the Vali 2. But I don't know what the feedback loop is in the Magni 3. In the Vali low gain introduces more negative feedback so lower distortion meaning less tube sound. With the Magni on low gain turning volume to max doesn't seem to add any distortion. And the specs don't give distortion ratings for high and low gain separately so it's hard to tell.

Nov 14, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #2,183 of 2,593
That's fairly typical of the low range of audio taper pots, especially most inexpensive ones (even Alps). That's also why Schiit products like the Saga and Freya use relay-stepped attenuators, to get around that typical channel-imbalance.

I listened to my magni 3 via saga this weekend. I loved it. Set the volume pot all the way open for pass through, and use saga to control volume. Best Magni 3 experience yet. Granted I was employing scotch mod, but still it was awesome. HD6XX'S. I preferred the sound with low gain.

I did ask schiit about this awhile back. Basically I was told there is no difference in quality (I didn't ask about distortion), and that I should use whatever sounds best to me.

Personally I like the low gain better, I feel like it gives more control. The sound is less aggressive, and I feel like I can listen to music louder through low, then high, from an enjoyability standpoint. To each their own. I will sometimes switch to highgain if I'm listening to 80's rock or something with less musical instruments involved. ZZ top for example sounds better through high gain, only three instruments mostly, and I dont feel like I'm missing anything. I feel like high gain doesn't allow me to hear as much of the music on more complex or detailed songs. Queen and classical is much better to me on low gain.

Play around with it, listen to what you like, don't obsess over your gain setting for three months like I did.

Nov 15, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #2,185 of 2,593
Wait, I thought obsessing over things like this is a requirement for belonging to this forum :ksc75smile:

No, not a requierement per se, just considered an additional qualification :wink:

Nov 16, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #2,186 of 2,593
I listened to my magni 3 via saga this weekend. I loved it. Set the volume pot all the way open for pass through, and use saga to control volume. Best Magni 3 experience yet. Granted I was employing scotch mod, but still it was awesome. HD6XX'S. I preferred the sound with low gain.

I did ask schiit about this awhile back. Basically I was told there is no difference in quality (I didn't ask about distortion), and that I should use whatever sounds best to me.

Personally I like the low gain better, I feel like it gives more control. The sound is less aggressive, and I feel like I can listen to music louder through low, then high, from an enjoyability standpoint. To each their own. I will sometimes switch to highgain if I'm listening to 80's rock or something with less musical instruments involved. ZZ top for example sounds better through high gain, only three instruments mostly, and I dont feel like I'm missing anything. I feel like high gain doesn't allow me to hear as much of the music on more complex or detailed songs. Queen and classical is much better to me on low gain.

Play around with it, listen to what you like, don't obsess over your gain setting for three months like I did.
I just tried your saga method with my Magni 3 except with a slightly :ksc75smile: cheaper preamp, fx audio tube 01, and the results were outstanding.

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #2,187 of 2,593
Nov 17, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #2,188 of 2,593
Hello everyone, sorry if this has been answered, I did try a search. Does the newest Magni support balanced audio through 2.5mm mmxc? Like seen here https://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Universal-Balanced-Adapter/dp/B076PWSSSJ?
Magni is single-ended, with 6.3mm (1/4”) jack... Generally, the 2.5mm balanced jack (someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong here) is a DAP implementation. My FiiO X5 III has it, but the implementation isn’t great (read: awful), so I just stick with single-ended.

HTH

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #2,189 of 2,593
Hello everyone, sorry if this has been answered, I did try a search. Does the newest Magni support balanced audio through 2.5mm mmxc? Like seen here https://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Universal-Balanced-Adapter/dp/B076PWSSSJ?
The Magni 3 has sufficient power in single-ended mode to drive damn near any headphone. It does not need to work in balanced mode, which involves compromises of its own. See here for an explanation:

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #2,190 of 2,593
Hi, I have a Fiio X5iii and a Sennheiser HD 598. I only have had 598 and I don't use in ears.

I am looking for a sound quality that is more neutral. I have options for 2 amps. I can buy either Fiio A5 or Magni 3. Portability or not is not an issue. Only sound quality matters. Can anyone here who has experienced both recommend a better amplifier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back