Magni 3 Impressions
Nov 19, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #2,191 of 2,593
Hi, I have a Fiio X5iii and a Sennheiser HD 598. I only have had 598 and I don't use in ears.

I am looking for a sound quality that is more neutral. I have options for 2 amps. I can buy either Fiio A5 or Magni 3. Portability or not is not an issue. Only sound quality matters. Can anyone here who has experienced both recommend a better amplifier?

If you want neutral then magni 3 is off the list There is a great option you might not be aware of instead. Its the JDS labs Atom. Its $99 and has all the same features as the magni 3 while using the same output stage as jds labs flagship element amp which i own and like much more than the magni 3. The atom is designed to be a next generation o2 amp so neutrality and transparent amping is its mission first and formost. I’ve found the el amp to be very neutral and smooth comapared to the magni 3. Hope this helps

https://www.jdslabs.com/mobile/products/190/atom-amp/

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #2,192 of 2,593
If you want neutral then magni 3 is off the list There is a great option you might not be aware of instead. Its the JDS labs Atom. Its $99 and has all the same features as the magni 3 while using the same output stage as jds labs flagship element amp which i own and like much more than the magni 3. The atom is designed to be a next generation o2 amp so neutrality and transparent amping is its mission first and formost. I’ve found the el amp to be very neutral and smooth comapared to the magni 3. Hope this helps

https://www.jdslabs.com/mobile/products/190/atom-amp/

If the you find Magni 3 isn't a neutral amp, what makes it something other then neutral?

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #2,193 of 2,593
If the you find Magni 3 isn't a neutral amp, what makes it something other then neutral?

Its a bright amp imo with harsh treble grain as you start to play music at louder volumes. Out of all the amps I own the magni 3 is the brightest one and its not a defective unit either since I had to send my unit back for a bad/scratchy volume knob and also complained about the treble thinking something was wrong with it. Schiit confirmed the unit was working as designed besides the volume pot that was found to be defective. The new pot is also scratching when you adjust volume so might just be a poor design.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #2,194 of 2,593
Its a bright amp imo with harsh treble grain as you start to play music at louder volumes. Out of all the amps I own the magni 3 is the brightest one and its not a defective unit either since I had to send my unit back for a bad/scratchy volume knob and also complained about the treble thinking something was wrong with it. Schiit confirmed the unit was working as designed besides the volume pot that was found to be defective. The new pot is also scratching when you adjust volume so might just be a poor design.
I've never had a problem with the volume pot being scratchy. If yours is scratchy after being repaired I'd complain like heck to Schiit support. I used to use the Magni with HD 599 and never noticed shrill treble. What headphones were you using?

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #2,195 of 2,593
I've never had a problem with the volume pot being scratchy. If yours is scratchy after being repaired I'd complain like heck to Schiit support. I used to use the Magni with HD 599 and never noticed shrill treble. What headphones were you using?

I used it with all of the ones in my profile except for the beyerdynamics. The only headphones that sounds good with the magni 3 to me are my senn HD6XX. The boosted treble of the magni pumps those up a bit and works pretty good. It still gets a bit shrill imo at higher volumes, but as long as you are just casually listening at lower volumes its actually pretty good. Its like the magni 3 has permanent loudness enabled. I’ve used the magni with all my dacs cept for the big ego and d1. Still bright to me regardless of dac. The only way I’ll even think about doing the schiit support routine again is if they pay for my shipping both ways. I’ve already eaten shipping once and to do it again would put me 1/4th of the total price of the u it extra in shipping fees. I dont like the sound of the unit enough to bother. Probably just sell it eventually. Or put it to use in some other random place. Or a christmas gift!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #2,196 of 2,593
I use the HD6xxs and don't find treble to be an issue. When I had modi multbit with my magni I found the treble good with my powered monitors as well. Now that I use magni 3 with Modi 3 and Loki I find myself slightly lowering the upper treble knob when using the monitors, but hardly use Loki at all with the HD6XXS, just depends on the album. The deluxe remastered white album on Tidal sounds flawless without Loki engaged.

Well that fits. All I have are HD6XX'S and the cheapo akg's from Massdrop. I listen on low gain 99 percent of the time.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #2,198 of 2,593
I use the HD6xxs and don't find treble to be an issue. When I had modi multbit with my magni I found the treble good with my powered monitors as well. Now that I use magni 3 with Modi 3 and Loki I find myself slightly lowering the upper treble knob when using the monitors, but hardly use Loki at all with the HD6XXS, just depends on the album. The deluxe remastered white album on Tidal sounds flawless without Loki engaged.

yea the magni 3 and hd6xx is a good pair. I’m probably a bit to the extreme at my treble sensitivity as well. I can hear treble perfect on even dark equipment. My favorite systems are my Audeze lcd2c with topping d50 and thx 789, as well as my asgard 2 with mimby, loki and he-400i. the topping and lcd2c are said to be warm but ti me they come off neutral. I’ve got to jack the treble down with the 400i to 11:00 even with the supposedly warm asgard 2 to find it pleasant. So this gives people more of an understanding of my preference and how to understand my opinion.

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #2,199 of 2,593
yea the magni 3 and hd6xx is a good pair. I’m probably a bit to the extreme at my treble sensitivity as well. I can hear treble perfect on even dark equipment. My favorite systems are my Audeze lcd2c with topping d50 and thx 789, as well as my asgard 2 with mimby, loki and he-400i. the topping and lcd2c are said to be warm but ti me they come off neutral. I’ve got to jack the treble down with the 400i to 11:00 even with the supposedly warm asgard 2 to find it pleasant. So this gives people more of an understanding of my preference and how to understand my opinion.

Makes sense, usually when I turn the far right treble knob down, I turn the middle right knob up.

If I engaged Loki it's usually

2-3 o'clock
12 o'clock
1:30-2 o'clock
10 o'clock

From left to right.

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #2,200 of 2,593
You're going to have to try one and see for yourself. Everyone hears differently, and while the next guy may prefer the Magni 3, your hearing may prefer the A5. You just have to try one and see for yourself.

However, the Magni 3 does have much higher output power. Not that it's necessary. Sennheiser is one of those companies that doesn't tend to list power handling. However, independent tests have shown that only a few hundred milliwatts were necessary to reach acceptable listening levels so the A5 should suffice in that area.

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #2,201 of 2,593
Makes sense, usually when I turn the far right treble knob down, I turn the middle right knob up.

If I engaged Loki it's usually

2-3 o'clock
12 o'clock
1:30-2 o'clock
10 o'clock

From left to right.

Thats really close to my favorite setting as well except I have the midbass at 1:30-2 and leave the midrange flat on the 400i. The midbass boost gives the 400i a nice thickness that i find immersive. The bass is at 2 and treble at 11. Loki has made me love the 400i. Its gone from being my least favorite headphones to my second fav bc of the loki. This is with the asgard 2 amp

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #2,202 of 2,593
From what I have read, the JDS Labs Atom amp is better than the Magni 3. That is why I am posting here, for comments...

If I go the JDS route with the atom amp is it best to get the OL DAC or the Modi 3? I was planning to get the Magni 3/Modi 3 until I saw this amp review for the Atom.

I am powering a couple cans, HE4XX and X2. X2 are easy to drive.

Any thoughts would be great!

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #2,203 of 2,593
Hi, I have a Fiio X5iii and a Sennheiser HD 598. I only have had 598 and I don't use in ears.

I am looking for a sound quality that is more neutral. I have options for 2 amps. I can buy either Fiio A5 or Magni 3. Portability or not is not an issue. Only sound quality matters. Can anyone here who has experienced both recommend a better amplifier?

Not necessarily better...just another option. :)

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33304

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/monoprice-monolith-liquid-spark-by-alex-cavalli.876407/

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #2,204 of 2,593
I'm using my Magni 3 with a Loki and I've really loved the combination....but now my Magni is having the scratchy pot issue in the right channel AND the volume balance issue. Seems to have started in the last couple of days and this morning is really noticeable. So phone to Schiit and get it fixed (I bought it in August). Just by coincidence my THX 789 is being delivered today! Now that's timing.:ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back