Magni 3 Impressions
Nov 30, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #2,206 of 2,593
Hey everyone, I've got a Schitt Magni 3 that I got when it came out. I have that "humming" issue (even when nothing else is plugged into it). The noise never really bothered me because I mostly used my 250Ohm DT990, and the noise was less noticeable.
But now I would like to use some of my IEMs on my Magni but the humm is just too much. It's not worse, but since it's IN my ears, it gets annoying really quick.

What I tried to do for now was to plug the unit somewhere else.
Since that didn't work at all, I then tried to search what could be the issue, so I bought a Power Conditioner seeing as it was a solution that I saw somewhere.
The unit I bought is the Art Audio PB4X4 https://www.long-mcquade.com/1234/P...s/ART_Pro_Audio/Power_Distribution_System.htm.
And of course, after some time (over an hour), the noise comes back and gets progressively worse.

The question I have would be: Can the issue be caused by the power supply? Or would it be a defective unit?

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #2,207 of 2,593
Hey everyone, I've got a Schitt Magni 3 that I got when it came out. I have that "humming" issue (even when nothing else is plugged into it). The noise never really bothered me because I mostly used my 250Ohm DT990, and the noise was less noticeable.
But now I would like to use some of my IEMs on my Magni but the humm is just too much. It's not worse, but since it's IN my ears, it gets annoying really quick.

Since that didn't work at all, I then tried to search what could be the issue, so I bought a Power Conditioner seeing as it was a solution that I saw somewhere.
The unit I bought is the Art Audio PB4X4 https://www.long-mcquade.com/1234/P...s/ART_Pro_Audio/Power_Distribution_System.htm.
And of course, after some time (over an hour), the noise comes back and gets progressively worse.

The question I have would be: Can the issue be caused by the power supply? Or would it be a defective unit?
This is a job for Schiit tech support. They'll probably recommend a different hum filter. I can't quite remember the name they gave me, I think it was a HumX filter which is different from the power line conditioner you have now. Have you tried moving the unit to a different room altogether? Again with nothing plugged in it. Post the response you get from Schiit.

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #2,208 of 2,593
This is a job for Schiit tech support. They'll probably recommend a different hum filter. I can't quite remember the name they gave me, I think it was a HumX filter which is different from the power line conditioner you have now. Have you tried moving the unit to a different room altogether? Again with nothing plugged in it. Post the response you get from Schiit.
I sent a mail to schiit as well. I know they will recommend me the HumX that only works with a grounded power supply. I can return the power conditioner because I bought it in a store. But that HumX is only available online and I have no idea if it will work. It is also more expensive than the power conditioner that should do even more... I may be entirely wrong here.
I'll try a different room and tell you the result, but whether it works or not is not a solution anyway. My computer is in my room, I can't move it.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #2,209 of 2,593
I sent a mail to schiit as well. I know they will recommend me the HumX that only works with a grounded power supply. I can return my unit because I bought it in a store. But that HumX is only available online and I have no idea if it will work. It is also more expensive than power conditioner that should do even more...
I'll try a different room and tell you the result, but whether it works or not is not a solution anyway. My computer is in my room, I can't move it.
At least you'll know where the noise is coming from. If you buy the HumX from Amazon and it doesn't work you can return the filter as non-working and get a full refund. That happened to me when I bought a $75 (USD) isolation transformer and filter when I was diagnosing my hum problem. They took it back with no problems. In my case the power conditioner worked. If moving the unit does eliminate the noise perhaps you could run an extension cord from that outlet to where the computer is. It's not elegant but if it works...

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #2,210 of 2,593
At least you'll know where the noise is coming from. If you buy the HumX from Amazon and it doesn't work you can return the filter as non-working and get a full refund. That happened to me when I bought a $75 (USD) isolation transformer and filter when I was diagnosing my hum problem. They took it back with no problems. In my case the power conditioner worked. If moving the unit does eliminate the noise perhaps you could run an extension cord from that outlet to where the computer is. It's not elegant but if it works...
Unfortunately, I won't be able to run an extension, house is big and outlets are far apart xD
Maybe the power conditioner is not good enough?
I'll try to diagnose the issue further I guess and I'll post back if I find a solution.
For now I can use my Bravo Audio V2 amp for my Beyerdynamic DT990, but you can forget about using IEMs on that thing. Not only does it sound bad, but it is also way too powerful.

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #2,211 of 2,593
Unfortunately, I won't be able to run an extension, house is big and outlets are far apart xD
Maybe the power conditioner is not good enough?
I'll try to diagnose the issue further I guess and I'll post back if I find a solution.
For now I can use my Bravo Audio V2 amp for my Beyerdynamic DT990, but you can forget about using IEMs on that thing. Not only does it sound bad, but it is also way too powerful.
OK, good luck.

Nov 30, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #2,212 of 2,593

This line piqued my curiosity: ". . . after some time (over an hour), the noise comes back and gets progressively worse."

Does this mean the hum initially went away when the Magni was plugged into the conditioner? How long was the Magni disconnected from any power source before you plugged it into the conditioner and listened to it? Have you tried unplugging it, letting it sit for a while, and then plugging it back in without the conditioner? If the same pattern of working fine with the hum gradually returning occurs, that would be significant. I would think that a ground loop hum would not go away and then come back gradually after an hour or more. Others should correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm correct, the facts point to a defective Magni or perhaps a defective wall wart.

Did you try another outlet in another room to try to exclude the possibility of a local circuit ground loop or even a defective outlet? You should also swap out wall warts if you've got an appropriate spare, just to rule out that link.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #2,213 of 2,593
I think it's peculiar how many of you complain about contact noise. I didn't even imagine that people are so anal that they expect to turn the volume knob, and hear nothing but a change in volume. But the solution is usually, just a small value capacitor to bleed off the contact noise.

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #2,214 of 2,593
This line piqued my curiosity: ". . . after some time (over an hour), the noise comes back and gets progressively worse."

1- Does this mean the hum initially went away when the Magni was plugged into the conditioner?
2- How long was the Magni disconnected from any power source before you plugged it into the conditioner and listened to it?
3- Have you tried unplugging it, letting it sit for a while, and then plugging it back in without the conditioner?
4- If the same pattern of working fine with the hum gradually returning occurs, that would be significant. I would think that a ground loop hum would not go away and then come back gradually after an hour or more. Others should correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm correct, the facts point to a defective Magni or perhaps a defective wall wart.

1, 3 and 4- Yes, the hum is not initially there when plugged into the conditioner or regular power. Here is the scenario: I plug it in, use it for a while without any issues and then the hum starts coming and gradually becomes worse. The hum is intermittent (it is not 100% hmmmmmmmm all the time, it humms for some seconds then stops, then comes back, etc.). If I unplug the wall wart and plug it again at this stage, nothing changes, the hum stays the same. It seems to me like it may be a defective wall wart because if I let it cool down for a while and use it again, the issue seems to have disappeared.
2- It wasn't unplugged, it was just turned off, plugged on regular power.

Did you try another outlet in another room to try to exclude the possibility of a local circuit ground loop or even a defective outlet? You should also swap out wall warts if you've got an appropriate spare, just to rule out that link.

I am trying this right now because @Keno18 asked me if it would make a difference. I let the magni plugged and ON in a separate room. I just checked it after a few hours of running and in 15 minutes of listening I only heard the hum once and for half a second (better than a constant hum with a few seconds of silence between the hum next to my computer).
Unfortunately, I have some 9V power supplies but nothing that has the same plug as the magni.

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #2,215 of 2,593
I believe the Magni 3 uses an AC-AC adapter, not an AC-DC 9V. So yeah, it's unlikely you'll find anything like that laying around. Which means please don't plug random power adapters into the Magni 3 lol.

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #2,216 of 2,593
1, 3 and 4- Yes, the hum is not initially there when plugged into the conditioner or regular power. Here is the scenario: I plug it in, use it for a while without any issues and then the hum starts coming and gradually becomes worse. The hum is intermittent (it is not 100% hmmmmmmmm all the time, it humms for some seconds then stops, then comes back, etc.). If I unplug the wall wart and plug it again at this stage, nothing changes, the hum stays the same. It seems to me like it may be a defective wall wart because if I let it cool down for a while and use it again, the issue seems to have disappeared.
2- It wasn't unplugged, it was just turned off, plugged on regular power.

I am trying this right now because @Keno18 asked me if it would make a difference. I let the magni plugged and ON in a separate room. I just checked it after a few hours of running and in 15 minutes of listening I only heard the hum once and for half a second (better than a constant hum with a few seconds of silence between the hum next to my computer).
Unfortunately, I have some 9V power supplies but nothing that has the same plug as the magni.
Now we have something to work with. Next I would move the Magni back to the room with the computer. This time turn off all the equipment that could cause the noise (computer, etc. ) in the room. Run the Magni again as you did in the room with the least noise. If you still hear the noise it's not the computer or associated equipment. If the Magni IS quiet turn the other equipment on one at a time until the noise returns. You'll have found the culprit. Then you can ask Schiit what kind of filter to use instead of just getting their stock answer.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #2,217 of 2,593
I believe the Magni 3 uses an AC-AC adapter, not an AC-DC 9V. So yeah, it's unlikely you'll find anything like that laying around. Which means please don't plug random power adapters into the Magni 3 lol.

Yes, I know some things about electricity since I'm in school for Computer Science :p I have some 9V AC power supply, but nothing else. AC to AC is not the most common thing.

Now we have something to work with. Next I would move the Magni back to the room with the computer. This time turn off all the equipment that could cause the noise (computer, etc. ) in the room. Run the Magni again as you did in the room with the least noise. If you still hear the noise it's not the computer or associated equipment. If the Magni IS quiet turn the other equipment on one at a time until the noise returns. You'll have found the culprit. Then you can ask Schiit what kind of filter to use instead of just getting their stock answer.

I finally got to test that theory. And it *seemed* like it came from my computer. I tested that 3 times when the hum was here. Once my computer was off, the hum mostly disappeared (yes, *mostly*, not entirely). But at one time I had everything BUT the magni unplugged and the hum was still here. This issue seems to be too random to get a correct and definitive answer on what is causing it...

Dec 1, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #2,218 of 2,593
Finally sold my Magni 3. Couldn't stand the crackling in the right channel when moving the pot anymore. I expect better. My Magni 2 never had this problem.

Not sure if I want to try getting another one to see if it doesn't have the same issue...not sure how common that issue is. I remember sharing it before and others saying they had the same problem.

Dec 1, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #2,219 of 2,593
I finally got to test that theory. And it *seemed* like it came from my computer. I tested that 3 times when the hum was here. Once my computer was off, the hum mostly disappeared (yes, *mostly*, not entirely). But at one time I had everything BUT the magni unplugged and the hum was still here. This issue seems to be too random to get a correct and definitive answer on what is causing it...
Is there anything else in the room like a florescent light that could cause the hum? If not it seems you're close enough to the source since at least there was a difference with the computer off. There's a forum just on computer audio I wonder if someone there has more experience on removing line noise or could recommend a power line conditioner?

Dec 1, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #2,220 of 2,593
Finally sold my Magni 3. Couldn't stand the crackling in the right channel when moving the pot anymore. I expect better. My Magni 2 never had this problem.

Not sure if I want to try getting another one to see if it doesn't have the same issue...not sure how common that issue is. I remember sharing it before and others saying they had the same problem.
I really don't understand where all the pot noise is coming from. Could there have been a bad batch from their board supplier? I know it doesn't help but I have never had that problem and I constantly use my Magni. I still think it's worth while to shoot off a message to Schiit to report your experience. It seems to me that you have two choices, try the Magni again or go to another brand. I just saw a review on the Monoprice Liquid Spark, same price and power as the Magni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back