"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
May 15, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #6,018 of 6,388
The mids aren't as special as they were on the 3.0, but they aren't exactly recessed. Basically to me, they switched places. The bass is fuller while the mids aren't especially rich or lacking. They're well balanced, but a little thinner than the 3.0 from what I remember. You get something, you lose something else. The mids are still very good though.

It almost sounds like a fuller, closed-back DT880, though not bright. Though it's been a very long time since I heard the 880s, so take that with a grain of salt.

Does the new revision still sound congested though? That's my main issue with the 3.0 MD's.

May 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #6,019 of 6,388
Quote:
The mids aren't as special as they were on the 3.0, but they aren't exactly recessed. Basically to me, they switched places. The bass is fuller while the mids aren't especially rich or lacking. They're well balanced, but a little thinner than the 3.0 from what I remember. You get something, you lose something else. The mids are still very good though.

It almost sounds like a fuller, closed-back DT880, though not bright. Though it's been a very long time since I heard the 880s, so take that with a grain of salt.

I wish Dan posted FQ graph comparing 3.0 with the latest 3.2 revision.

May 15, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #6,020 of 6,388
Quote:
The Mad Dogs may possibly be one of my NEW favorite headphones for my bass driven music genres (trap, and other harder EDM).

Good god. This thing is kicking ass. DAT BASS

I honestly want it if JUST for that alone. It's SOOOOOOOO good.

How do the new Mad Dogs compare to the older Denon DX000 series and HE-400 in deep sub-bass frequencies below 50 Hz? Is it enough to satisfy a bass head?

How about soundstage, imaging, and instrument separation?

May 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #6,021 of 6,388
It look like it sparks up the whole bass performance again.

May 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #6,022 of 6,388
Hi I've been reading about this particular headset being able to isolate sound particularly well especially aboard passenger planes... As I am a frequent traveler mostly on military aircraft, would it still be able to isolate noise fairly well?

May 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #6,023 of 6,388
Quote:
Hi I've been reading about this particular headset being able to isolate sound particularly well especially aboard passenger planes... As I am a frequent traveler mostly on military aircraft, would it still be able to isolate noise fairly well?

Pretty decent isolation, pretty durable, pretty big physically.  I might consider them for flying (all commercial for me), but would likely choose my custom iem's instead for convenience and even better isolation.  I'll let more experienced travelers weigh in as well.  I travel a couple times a year give or take.  Always the iems, likely never the Mad Dogs, just based on the physical size, weight, etc.

May 15, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #6,025 of 6,388
Quote:

I assume you are talking fixed wing.

Given the conspicuous lack of noise insulation on most mil transports that would be a challenge even for an iem.

May 15, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #6,028 of 6,388
Thanks!  This one actually is new, it was just an old "gold riser" stock unit we somehow missed so it'd been in inventory for a long time.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #6,029 of 6,388
Quote:
I assume you are talking fixed wing.

Given the conspicuous lack of noise insulation on most mil transports that would be a challenge even for an iem.

yeah fixed wing. KC-135R to be exact(CFM 56 engines). I've actually used some "IEMs" by a company called AirBuds that worked somewhat well in the jet, however I haven't found any fullsize headphones that would do a decent job of protecting my hearing from the outside engine noise

May 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #6,030 of 6,388
Quote:
Thanks!  This one actually is new, it was just an old "gold riser" stock unit we somehow missed so it'd been in inventory for a long time.

What exactly are the differences between "Gold risers" and the new ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back