"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
May 14, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #6,001 of 6,388
Quote:
+1 to this bit. I've got some really grittily-recorded music (The Taxpayers, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, The Livingbrooks), and the MD is never over-harsh with it.

Quote:

I'm basically a full-fledged metalhead, and the Mad Dogs are great. Many of my harsher recordings were made very enjoyable by them, and I'd actually describe the treble as neither prominent nor shelved; and even then, I've EQ'd the treble to great success when I wanted more sparkle. Usually I shy away from some albums entirely because I was afraid of harsh cymbals or crashes or ****ty production heard on other systems, but the Mad Dogs excelled in letting me get back into them.

Other than that, their darker presentation worked very well for metal, but particularly for black, doom and sludge recordings: helped emanate the "timbre" of the genres very well. Layers of distorted guitar were rendered very cleanly and transparently with that full, beautiful midrange, while the tight bass keeps up with the fastest double bass with no problem at all, with plenty authority.

Thanks for the input!  This is reassuring...I do tend to prefer a darker, warmer tone overall so I figured they will be a good fit, and it's good to hear they are not overly harsh.  I listen to quite a bit of black metal and doom myself, so I can't wait to hear them on the MD.  I'm not sensitive to treble, but I'd like to try out something that is considered 'bright' or 'bright neutral' as a point of reference one day before I look into something like the HE-4/HE5-LE.  It looks like the MD will remain my next purchase. 
cool.gif

May 15, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #6,002 of 6,388
Hey everybody!

So I've been playing around with my new Mad Dogs and an iBasso D6 w/ Topkit installed.  Everything sounds awesome when I go Laptop -> D6 -> Mad Dogs or Laptop -> D6 --> external speakers.  Super happy, the D6 drives the headphones well and I'm really enjoying what I'm hearing.

HOWEVER, I have been noticing a significant difference when I go through my iPod, which is the primary way I will be using the headphones.  When I go iPod -> D6 -> Mad Dogs I definitely feel like the headphones need to be driven more, particularly when I listen to heavier rock orientated music or dance music.  Even with the gain switch engaged, I'm still not getting the same kind of drive and sound I'm getting out of my Laptop.  Am I doing something wrong?...or this just the nature of using an iPod through a portable amp.  If it's the latter any suggestions as to what I can do?  I know getting a new amp would be one option, but I'm quite happy with the sound I'm getting w/ the D6 with everything other than my iPod.

Thanks!

May 15, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #6,003 of 6,388
Quote:
  Even with the gain switch engaged, I'm still not getting the same kind of drive and sound I'm getting out of my Laptop.  Am I doing something wrong?...or this just the nature of using an iPod through a portable amp.  If it's the latter any suggestions as to what I can do?  I know getting a new amp would be one option...

Consider a CEntrance HIFI-M8.

May 15, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #6,004 of 6,388
Hey everybody!

So I've been playing around with my new Mad Dogs and an iBasso D6 w/ Topkit installed.  Everything sounds awesome when I go Laptop -> D6 -> Mad Dogs or Laptop -> D6 --> external speakers.  Super happy, the D6 drives the headphones well and I'm really enjoying what I'm hearing.

HOWEVER, I have been noticing a significant difference when I go through my iPod, which is the primary way I will be using the headphones.  When I go iPod -> D6 -> Mad Dogs I definitely feel like the headphones need to be driven more, particularly when I listen to heavier rock orientated music or dance music.  Even with the gain switch engaged, I'm still not getting the same kind of drive and sound I'm getting out of my Laptop.  Am I doing something wrong?...or this just the nature of using an iPod through a portable amp.  If it's the latter any suggestions as to what I can do?  I know getting a new amp would be one option, but I'm quite happy with the sound I'm getting w/ the D6 with everything other than my iPod.

Thanks!

Are you going into the amp from headphone out or via a LOD connector? Might try the LOD - FiiO has them available on Amazon cheap.

May 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #6,005 of 6,388
The Mad Dogs may possibly be one of my NEW favorite headphones for my bass driven music genres (trap, and other harder EDM).

Good god. This thing is kicking ass. DAT BASS

I honestly want it if JUST for that alone. It's SOOOOOOOO good.

May 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #6,006 of 6,388
Quote:
Are you going into the amp from headphone out or via a LOD connector? Might try the LOD - FiiO has them available on Amazon cheap.

I'll echo this. If you're going iPod headphone out > D6 Aux in you're not going to get as much volume as, say Laptop USB > D6 USB or even iPod LOD > D6 Aux In

The Mad Dogs may possibly be one of my NEW favorite headphones for my bass driven music genres (trap, and other harder EDM).

Good god. This thing is kicking ass. DAT BASS

I honestly want it if JUST for that alone. It's SOOOOOOOO good.

Compared to what you remember of the LCD2, how is the bass on the 3.2? When I listen to the MD after being spoiled by the LCD2 I find it quite lethargic and lifeless. The bass is still there but it's just not of the Audeze quality/quantity balance and I'm finding myself craving more. I'm on v3.0 and am trying to judge if the upgrade is worth it for me at this point.

May 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #6,007 of 6,388
I felt the same as you about the 3.0. To go from that to THIS? It may as well be a different headphone to me. Seriously. the bass was the most disappointing thing about the 3.0 for me. The bass on the 3.2 is my FAVORITE thing. I mean, that's the only thing I can say. I'm not sure I got a proper presentation of the 3.0 though, since the fit wasn't ideal, and I couldn't get the best seal unless I held them to my head. It may have been that particular MD.

As for this and the LCD2, I think i may find the Md a little more fun, because of it's closed back bass, which has more of a tactile slam than the LCD2.

The LCD2 is a better phone, no doubt, but for the sake of enjoyment, I prefer the MD for really bass driven music. It's the case of fun vs accurate. The LCD2 sounds more accurate than the 3.2, while the 3.2 sounds more 'musical' in the lower end.

May 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #6,008 of 6,388
Thanks for that description. It sounds like I will be getting that upgrade here shortly then. It sounds like it'll bring the bass more in line with the enjoyment I get from the LCD2 bass. 

I know there has been some talk of the mids suffering a bit because of the bass so I'm hoping that isn't the case. I really do like the 3.0 mids but just find the bass department lacking after hearing some proper bass in both quality and quantity courtesy of Audeze.

May 15, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #6,009 of 6,388
The mids aren't as special as they were on the 3.0, but they aren't exactly recessed. Basically to me, they switched places. The bass is fuller while the mids aren't especially rich or lacking. They're well balanced, but a little thinner than the 3.0 from what I remember. You get something, you lose something else. The mids are still very good though.

It almost sounds like a fuller, closed-back DT880, though not bright. Though it's been a very long time since I heard the 880s, so take that with a grain of salt.

May 15, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #6,010 of 6,388
That sounds on par with what I was kind of expecting. I don't think that is swaying my opinion any, but I just wish I could hear the 3.2 and compare for myself... 

Well, I look forward to getting this process done. I just have to figure out a good time to do it since I listen to music constantly at work with my MD.

Thanks for your thoughts, MLE. Much appreciated.

May 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #6,011 of 6,388
MLE,

You got me curious of this new revision now,  I had the 3.0 and felt the same thing as nam3less. What's your opinion on the bass department of the MD vs. HE400?  Before with the 3.0, I had other things I was disappointed with the MD combined with the slightly not ideal bass brought me to the HE400, keep in mind that the HE400 doesn't bother me with their treble/upper mids issue.  I've been jumping the thought of either getting the LC2, HE500 or the K702 Annie as a secondary main headphone to the HE400. If the bass is as good as it sounds this might be an option.  My two main complaint about the the MD 3.0 was their lack of air and polite bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back