"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 8, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #5,026 of 6,388
Quote:
They are indeed heavy. It took me awhile to get used to their weight and even then I had some days where it felt heavy. I'm really surprised that little amps like the Glacier and Leckerton can drive the HE-500. I do believe people who say the HE-500 can be driven sufficiently by them, but with such limited current I'm just confused how all that works out. I must be missing something about electronics.

I'm thinking about getting the Lekerton 6S MKII. Does anyone know if the Leckerton can drive the MD to potential? or near potential? I'm only hesistant because the Fiio E17 does offer more current at 32ohms, like four times more. So what am I missing?

From measurements I've seen of most Fiio products, they're so-so. I can't speak for the E17 and can't take the time to dig for this information right this moment (and will probably forget when I get home, haha). It could be an exception.

The Leckerton is a great DAC/amp. I would highly recommend it for the MD and even slightly prefer it to the ODAC/O2. For most modern recordings on the higher gain setting, it will drive the MD very well. On some lower gain albums the Leckerton might be just a notch below "loud" levels (generally well-recorded and mastered music...not subject to loudness wars...etc.).

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #5,027 of 6,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How's that for a definite answer? 
size]

Thanks! Definitely what I was looking for. Yeah, the tube-rolling business is a bit intimidating to me. $100 tubes! I didn't know tubes went that high! But that's a subject for the other thread, I suppose. 

I basically agree with your judgment. As a college student, I'm pretty damn spoiled with the setup I have (my dad loves gadgets, so it's a mutual infatuation), and so I think I'll be happy for a while. The allure of an open headphone is just hovering over my head, but I'll get over it. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #5,028 of 6,388
Just got my Mad Dog's w/ Alpha Pads today.  They sound absolutely fantastic, but I just went ahead and ordered a Schiit Magni to go alongside.  Currently using my X-Fi Titanium HD, and while the DAC is plenty good, the lack of headphone amplifier has me running them at 100% volume to only a decent level of loudness.  Hoping the Magni will open them up more, didn't bite on the Modi because I think the DAC on the sound blaster is plenty good enough.

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #5,029 of 6,388
Just got my Mad Dog's w/ Alpha Pads today.  They sound absolutely fantastic, but I just went ahead and ordered a Schiit Magni to go alongside.  Currently using my X-Fi Titanium HD, and while the DAC is plenty good, the lack of headphone amplifier has me running them at 100% volume to only a decent level of loudness.  Hoping the Magni will open them up more, didn't bite on the Modi because I think the DAC on the sound blaster is plenty good enough.

If you enjoy the Mad Dogs now in your current setup, prepare to be blown away all over again once you get the Magni. You made good decisions, and I expect you'll be very pleased.

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #5,030 of 6,388
Quote:
If you enjoy the Mad Dogs now in your current setup, prepare to be blown away all over again once you get the Magni. You made good decisions, and I expect you'll be very pleased.

Glad to hear!  I went with the Magni based off of other opinions in the thread so I expect that I will not be disappointed.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #5,031 of 6,388
Quote:
Thanks! Definitely what I was looking for. Yeah, the tube-rolling business is a bit intimidating to me. $100 tubes! I didn't know tubes went that high! But that's a subject for the other thread, I suppose. 

I basically agree with your judgment. As a college student, I'm pretty damn spoiled with the setup I have (my dad loves gadgets, so it's a mutual infatuation), and so I think I'll be happy for a while. The allure of an open headphone is just hovering over my head, but I'll get over it. 

Hah!!!  As far as I know, the most expensive tubes compatible with the Lyr would be the ~ $1,000 per pair Valvo Cca's (made by Philips).  Telefunken Cca's go for around $500, and the Siemens E188CC or E288CC's usually sit around $300 per pair.  All of which pale in comparison to NOS 300B's and some of the other rare birds.  That being said, there are plenty of relatively affordable great sounding tubes out there waiting to titillate your ear drums. 
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #5,034 of 6,388
I'm really surprised that little amps like the Glacier and Leckerton can drive the HE-500. I do believe people who say the HE-500 can be driven sufficiently by them, but with such limited current I'm just confused how all that works out. I must be missing something about electronics.

I'm thinking about getting the Lekerton 6S MKII. Does anyone know if the Leckerton can drive the MD to potential? or near potential? I'm only hesistant because the Fiio E17 does offer more current at 32ohms, like four times more. So what am I missing?

I've been on the same boat lately... When you look at the numbers for something like the humble Magni vs those portables it just doesn't seem to add up, and a lot of people have told me most planar magnetics wouldn't be anywhere near their potential with that kinda amp... But then there's a lot of people that are genuinely happy with the pairing too, so I really dunno.

Personally I don't need something super portable, but the Leckerton's optical input would make it a lot easier to use in my living room with my current HT gear... Probably gonna end up trying it at some point.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #5,035 of 6,388
Quote:
I've been on the same boat lately... When you look at the numbers for something like the humble Magni vs those portables it just doesn't seem to add up, and a lot of people have told me most planar magnetics wouldn't be anywhere near their potential with that kinda amp... But then there's a lot of people that are genuinely happy with the pairing too, so I really dunno.

Personally I don't need something super portable, but the Leckerton's optical input would make it a lot easier to use in my living room with my current HT gear... Probably gonna end up trying it at some point.

For me it's the fact I haven't heard a good desktop amp so I'm happy with what I have. I'm actually looking at desktop amps now and was wondering if anyone has used the MD's with the Violectric V90?

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #5,039 of 6,388
Quote:
For me it's the fact I haven't heard a good desktop amp so I'm happy with what I have. I'm actually looking at desktop amps now and was wondering if anyone has used the MD's with the Violectric V90?

I've long been interested in any and all of the Vioelectric lineup.  Alas, I've never had the opportunity to audition one.  I can't say if it would be better or worse than the Lyr, but the numbers suggest that it would handle the Mad Dogs and pretty much every other ortho (excepting the HE-6) with plenty of authority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back