"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 8, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #5,011 of 6,388
Thank you, but I want to point out: this is an AVERAGE plot.  It smooths out little blips but the key point is it represents the whole production run, and variations are kept +/-2dB without a rebuild/test.  So an individual phone can be a little lumpier, though they're usually very down the middle.  

I think you deserve a lot of credit for posting the data on those two other posts and even continuing to address this instead of just leaving it at "that was a faulty/outlier unit", that level of transparency isn't common in this industry.

Hell, Dan's probably got a lot less variation going across his MD than some of the largest manufacturers do these days ('sup Beyer's Tesla?).

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #5,012 of 6,388
Dunno why I did not remember this at the time. Cabela's sells a product called Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. It is basically a cold anodizing agent for aluminum and works fairly well.

Are the slides aluminum?

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #5,013 of 6,388
Quote:
I think you deserve a lot of credit for posting the data on those two other posts and even continuing to address this instead of just leaving it at "that was a faulty/outlier unit", that level of transparency isn't common in this industry.

Hell, Dan's probably got a lot less variation going across his MD than some of the largest manufacturers do these days ('sup Beyer's Tesla?).

Absolutely. Dan is doing a great job at being open and honest about this. He even willingly produced additional information just because somebody requested it. I was almost positive that Tyll's measurements were performed on a bad unit. That being said, I appreciate Dan publishing data that provide further evidence that the average production model performs better than the unit he sent.

Great work, Dan.

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #5,018 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm loving the MD's - so much so that I got rid of my HE 500'S for them
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow. You should give us the details if you can. Were you driving them from the Glacier?

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #5,020 of 6,388
Every day I worry whether or not I really want to upgrade to the he-500's. I wish I got head-to-head time with them at the Bay Area meet, so my impressions could've been more solid, but I just remembered being wow'd by them. Perhaps it was the Lyr that it was hooked up to was wowing me. :D

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #5,022 of 6,388
Hey Matt, have you had the chance to AB/compare the Lyr with the A2 on the MDs? No biggie if you haven't/can't, was just curious. I'm running an A2/bifrost ATM.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #5,023 of 6,388
^^ Short answer is that the lyr with good tubes sounds better than the A2. The MD is a heavily modded ortho, so it will respond to more power such as with the lyr. To Dan's credit the MD has actually gotten more efficient with the latest iteration. The A2/bf sounds really nice with the MD as well. 

It's hard to get a grip on the comparison when you look at the economics. The lyr is nearly twice as expensive as the A2. Plus I have a pair of $100 tubes. If I didn't have other hard to drive hp's, I'd stick with the A2 and put the money into music or take my wife to a nice dinner. I could be very happy on the A2/bf combo with the MD. You also have to decide if you're into tube amps and are willing to venture in to that "deep water." Tube rolling can get expensive. 

How's that for a definite answer? 
size]

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #5,024 of 6,388
Wow. You should give us the details if you can. Were you driving them from the Glacier?

Yeah I used the Glacier and Quickstep and both drive them very well. To be honest I found the HE 500's a bit boring and too laid back, whereas the MD's are more engaging and get really close to the HE 500'S surprisingly enough. Plus they isolate really well which is something I really need.

The HE 500's are a great headphone but possibly more of an acquired taste. They're really heavy too.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #5,025 of 6,388
Quote:
Yeah I used the Glacier and Quickstep and both drive them very well. To be honest I found the HE 500's a bit boring and too laid back, whereas the MD's are more engaging and get really close to the HE 500'S surprisingly enough. Plus they isolate really well which is something I really need.

The HE 500's are a great headphone but possibly more of an acquired taste. They're really heavy too.

They are indeed heavy. It took me awhile to get used to their weight and even then I had some days where it felt heavy. I'm really surprised that little amps like the Glacier and Leckerton can drive the HE-500. I do believe people who say the HE-500 can be driven sufficiently by them, but with such limited current I'm just confused how all that works out. I must be missing something about electronics.

I'm thinking about getting the Lekerton 6S MKII. Does anyone know if the Leckerton can drive the MD to potential? or near potential? I'm only hesistant because the Fiio E17 does offer more current at 32ohms, like four times more. So what am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back