"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #5,042 of 6,388
Hmm... so it may be that you haven't heard the HE-500 close to full potential? Assuming the Glacier isn't the best pairing. Or maybe it is I don't know. I had the Lyr when I had the HE-500, so if the MD can come to even 90% of that sound quality I'll be blown off my feet. My Darth Dogs come in on Wednesday, so I'm looking forward to it.

I'm thinking about rebuying the HE-500 + Emotiva Mini-X, and also getting the Concero as the Dac. I guess the MD will let me know whether I need to do this or not.

Quote:
For me it's the fact I haven't heard a good desktop amp so I'm happy with what I have.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #5,043 of 6,388
Quote:
Hmm... so it may be that you haven't heard the HE-500 close to full potential? Assuming the Glacier isn't the best pairing. Or maybe it is I don't know. I had the Lyr when I had the HE-500, so if the MD can come to even 90% of that sound quality I'll be blown off my feet. My Darth Dogs come in on Wednesday, so I'm looking forward to it.

I'm thinking about rebuying the HE-500 + Emotiva Mini-X, and also getting the Concero as the Dac. I guess the MD will let me know whether I need to do this or not.

Yeah, I guess I haven't heard the HE 500's at their full potential but even so I didn't warm to their sound signature as it lacked the energy required by some of my music. For vocals they're awesome. I prefer the bass on the MD's - it seems to respond well to EQ boosting. 

I'm looking at buying a desktop amp to drive the MD's but not sure which will have the best synergy.

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #5,044 of 6,388
So a while back we were discussing stands for the MDs, and 6 weeks ago I joined the Massdrop for the Omega style zebra wood stands. Here it is.

Fits perfectly and doesn't squish the alpha pads as I had worried this style might. Very happy with it for the 35$ it cost me.

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #5,045 of 6,388
Damn nice for $35, it doesn't stretch them too much? I guess any stretch that's lesser than what they'll stretch to over your head wouldn't matter anyway... The acrylic one Brainwavz sells for $25 might be a bit narrower but it doesn't look nearly as cool.

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #5,047 of 6,388
Quote:
What sound signature do both amps have? I like a clean, neutral transparent sound with good bass impact.

The Violectric seemed more neutral while the lyr bass more body and bass impact. I think that you're looking for the lyr. You can often find them used for about $350 which is an outstanding bargain for an amp of this quality. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #5,048 of 6,388
The Violectric seemed more neutral while the lyr bass more body and bass impact. I think that you're looking for the lyr. You can often find them used for about $350 which is an outstanding bargain for an amp of this quality. 

Is the Lyr warm sounding? I want something neutral and transparent to drive the MD's.

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #5,049 of 6,388
At stock, I'd call the lyr slightly warm. Of course, the flavor will come from the tubes installed. The lyr can sound significantly different based on the tubes you're using. The stock GE's for instance have a bit of sparkle on the top and a touch more bass slam with the MD's. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #5,050 of 6,388
This is the reason I stay away from tube amps. I want something that increases the volume level, but is audibly transparent. In my opininion, if you hear differences with an amp, the amp is coloring the sound.

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #5,052 of 6,388
Quote:
Thanks! Definitely what I was looking for. Yeah, the tube-rolling business is a bit intimidating to me. $100 tubes! I didn't know tubes went that high! But that's a subject for the other thread, I suppose. 

I basically agree with your judgment. As a college student, I'm pretty damn spoiled with the setup I have (my dad loves gadgets, so it's a mutual infatuation), and so I think I'll be happy for a while. The allure of an open headphone is just hovering over my head, but I'll get over it. 

Take a look at Project Sunrise II Amps. They perform far above their price point and sound amazing, IMO. There are many low cost tubes ranging from $25 to $50 that sound great in this amp. PM me if you want some recommendations and go HERE for detailed Project Sunrise II tube rolling posts. Pair the Project Sunrise II Amp with an ODAC or Modi for an excellent low cost combo for around $350.

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #5,054 of 6,388
Quote:
This is the reason I stay away from tube amps. I want something that increases the volume level, but is audibly transparent. In my opininion, if you hear differences with an amp, the amp is coloring the sound.

The most transparent amps I've ever heard in my life have been tube amps (in speaker systems).  While ultimate transparency isn't really my ultimate goal, it's quite possible to achieve it with tube amps.  That being said, I don't for one minute believe that it's easier for the consumer to get good transparency with tube amps.

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #5,055 of 6,388
Quote:

What if you like the amps coloring?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back