"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #5,071 of 6,388
TBH, I don't think the MD really benefits more from a whole lot. Meaning, I generally find it sounds good out of a lot of amps,
similar to the amp person LCD-2. 

^This

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #5,072 of 6,388
Quote:
TBH, I don't think the MD really benefits more from a whole lot. Meaning, I generally find it sounds good out of a lot of amps,
similar to the amp person LCD-2. 

Never quite heard a headphone described that way.  I'll see the Audez'e guys in NY Thursday, and will point this out.  ROFL!  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #5,073 of 6,388
Damn nice for $35, it doesn't stretch them too much? I guess any stretch that's lesser than what they'll stretch to over your head wouldn't matter anyway... The acrylic one Brainwavz sells for $25 might be a bit narrower but it doesn't look nearly as cool.

The band only stretches an insignificant amount to fit on the stand, and even less if I lengthen the pads down lower on the stand.

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #5,074 of 6,388
Quote:
One thing that has worked well for me is to forgo the constant switching and a/b sessions. I'll like to get a new hp or piece of gear and listen to it exclusively for weeks...sometimes longer, not changing anything else in the chain. When I feel like I know that sound signature really well based on the setup...change one thing and listen for the difference. That's when I can hear and appreciate the subtle changes. 

Same goes for me. One reason I never get excited enough about a meet to attend is because I much better like spending a long time with equipment to hear the strengths, weaknesses, and differences between each one piece.

Quote:

I agree also. I'm perfectly happy driving my MDs out of a uDAC2 at work all day (though the home setup obviously sounds a touch better).

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #5,075 of 6,388
Quote:
 amp person LCD-2. 

Quote:
Never quite heard a headphone described that way.  I'll see the Audez'e guys in NY Thursday, and will point this out.  ROFL!  

LMAO!
etysmile.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #5,078 of 6,388
Quote:
The Just Audio looks very appealing. Can it compete with the Lyr or Violectric V90 though?

Quoted by many including myself as a mini burson ha-160. I haven't heard an lyr or v-90 so I can't really tell ya how it compares to those two. The only portable out there that can touch is the triad lisa and that amp is way more desktoppy. I got mine used for $350 shipped and it was well worth it.

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #5,079 of 6,388
Apr 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #5,081 of 6,388
Wow lot of debate here on md's and lcd-2's and whether or not they require a fancy amp. Personally I think that they both def. change sound with different amps. However I would say that v-shaped cans as a whole, in my experience, are harder to match up and that their sound change between amps usually (but not always) is more dramatic. As far as tubes or ss I choose neither aha-120 all the way.

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #5,083 of 6,388
Quote:
Wow lot of debate here on md's and lcd-2's and whether or not they require a fancy amp. Personally I think that they both def. change sound with different amps. However I would say that v-shaped cans as a whole, in my experience, are harder to match up and that their sound change between amps usually (but not always) is more dramatic. As far as tubes or ss I choose neither aha-120 all the way.

Discrete is actually solid state. Now that I am through being a pain:) What do you like about the 120?  How Portable is it? How long do you really get on a battery etc?

I am in the market for a Portable discrete amp and this is on the short list.

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #5,084 of 6,388
Quote:
Quoted by many including myself as a mini burson ha-160. I haven't heard an lyr or v-90 so I can't really tell ya how it compares to those two. The only portable out there that can touch is the triad lisa and that amp is way more desktoppy. I got mine used for $350 shipped and it was well worth it.

That's pretty impressive but sounds a bit like hype. Does the AHA 120 have enough power to drive orthos with authority?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back