"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 9, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #5,088 of 6,388
Quote:
A fu*king BIT**

I think this might be the HD800. The HE-6 isn't picky as long as the amp is loaded. Gold Digger in IMO.

This is fun.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #5,089 of 6,388
Quote:
I think this might be the HD800. The HE-6 isn't picky as long as the amp is loaded. Gold Digger in IMO.

This is fun.
evil_smiley.gif

HE-6 is way more fussy. But I think Gold Digger is apt as well.

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #5,092 of 6,388
Damn you, prep, do ya see what you've started.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #5,093 of 6,388
Quote:
Discrete is actually solid state. Now that I am through being a pain:) What do you like about the 120?  How Portable is it? How long do you really get on a battery etc?

I am in the market for a Portable discrete amp and this is on the short list.

Quote:
Wow lot of debate here on md's and lcd-2's and whether or not they require a fancy amp. Personally I think that they both def. change sound with different amps. However I would say that v-shaped cans as a whole, in my experience, are harder to match up and that their sound change between amps usually (but not always) is more dramatic. As far as tubes or ss I choose neither aha-120 all the way.

Not to pile on with Hutnicks, but if you choose the aha-120, you're definitely choosing solid state.  I'm curious though, do you actually have both the aha-120 and the Mad Dogs?  If so, it's nice to add another capable amp to the list.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #5,094 of 6,388
I don't know if people have thought about doing this, but everybody who owns Mad Dogs with Alpha pads should try it out. Rotate the pads a little bit so that the back of the pad follows the slant of the back of your ear, similar to how Sennheiser headphones fit. Comfort on my pair improved significantly and I'm getting an even better seal now. Also, isolation improved by a few dB and perceived bass presence rose just a little bit (probably a result of the better seal and isolation).

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #5,095 of 6,388
Quote:
I don't know if people have thought about doing this, but everybody who owns Mad Dogs with Alpha pads should try it out. Rotate the pads a little bit so that the back of the pad follows the slant of the back of your ear, similar to how Sennheiser headphones fit. Comfort on my pair improved significantly and I'm getting an even better seal now. Also, isolation improved by a few dB and perceived bass presence rose just a little bit (probably a result of the better seal and isolation).

Hey, nice suggestion.  I'd been tipping the phones back a bit to rest more on my crown, your fix does the same thing more intelligently!

If anyone else tries this I'd love to hear the result...  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 10, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #5,096 of 6,388
Quote:
Quote:

Hey, nice suggestion.  I'd been tipping the phones back a bit to rest more on my crown, your fix does the same thing more intelligently!

If anyone else tries this I'd love to hear the result...  

I can verify that this. Just tried rotating the pads on mine a bit and the slight pressure against the tip of my ear has been alleviated. No commend on how it changes the sound or seal though until I evaluate them a bit more.

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #5,097 of 6,388
Quote:

Actually no change for me, but I got a pretty big head so the seal is already superb and I find the bass to be rich. But the comfort did get even abit better, as they are more angled to my ear now. My wife complained that they did not have enough bass for her, was sorted with the turning of the pad. Yeh she is a basshead
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back