"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #4,501 of 6,388
^^ +1. The dog pads are darker. I'm one of the weirdos who like a really dark signature sometimes. But most everyone else will prefer the Alpha Pads. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #4,502 of 6,388
Voicing aside, the Alpha Pads bring improvement in pretty much all aspects.

I tried the Dog Pads with my HE-4 (they fit perfectly on the hifimans, for those wondering) and the treble response was funky.
The Alpha Pads are technically better, more comfy and less dark than the Dog Pads. They don't fit as well and give the Hifimans a strange look but that's a non-issue for me considering the pros.

The Alpha Pads still shift the voicing towards darker sound but less so than the Dog Pads and, with the 4s, it's quite a welcome change :wink:

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #4,503 of 6,388
Thanks for advices
just ordered hoping no tax !!
:)

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #4,504 of 6,388
Quote:
Thanks for advices
just ordered hoping no tax !!
smily_headphones1.gif

I wouldn't hope too much...

I had to pay full taxes for the MDs since pretty much any package from the USA is checked by French custom service.
The same goes for the Concero for which I had to pay 137€ of taxe... ouch!

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #4,505 of 6,388
Quote:
Voicing aside, the Alpha Pads bring improvement in pretty much all aspects.

I tried the Dog Pads with my HE-4 (they fit perfectly on the hifimans, for those wondering) and the treble response was funky.
The Alpha Pads are technically better, more comfy and less dark than the Dog Pads. They don't fit as well and give the Hifimans a strange look but that's a non-issue for me considering the pros.

The Alpha Pads still shift the voicing towards darker sound but less so than the Dog Pads and, with the 4s, it's quite a welcome change :wink:

Clem,  This is interesting.  Might have to try the Alpha pads on the HE-6s.  Right now I'm using the stock Denon pads.  Pretty comfy without being to heavy.  How do they sound on the HE-5LEs?  Can you pm me a picture of them on the headphone?

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #4,506 of 6,388
What would Alpha Pads do for the HE-500?

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #4,508 of 6,388
Quote:
Nothing, they wouldn't fit (At least I don't believe so)

This thread will do wonders for them though...

They do if you mod them (cut the flap so that it doesn't block the 4 mounting tips). I tried them with my 4s and 5LEs but didn't cut the flap so only 2 tips are in (3 at best on the 4s).

I never tried them with the 500s so I cannot be 100% positive. The 500s have a soft treble (taming them is not a good thing IMO) but, at the same time, have an upper mid emphasis that can be quite unwelcome at times.

If one wants to know, just send me a pair of 500s and I will tell you (but I won't give the headphones back... :p), or wait till I buy them, once again :wink:

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #4,510 of 6,388
Quote:
Yes. Exactly. How else than via PayPal in that section? The only reason I haven't sold my E9 or O2 there so far is that I don't know how to do it without getting swindled. Most sellers ask for PayPal, I figured I'd have to as well.

The buyer pays up front, usually through PayPal since PayPal offers insurance against the swindlers you're worried about (at cost however).  Really, the way online sales work, the buyer puts the money up front, the only person really at risk of being swindled is the buyer, more so than the seller.  Making trades within a community like this is a safer bet depending on their involvement, since they'd risk being ostracized and lose the ability to ever trade again if they ripped someone off.  There is a customer feedback system built into head-fi.  Just make sure anyone you deal with has a seller/buyer history if you're extra paranoid.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #4,511 of 6,388
The difference in sound between the HE-500 and MDs is quite different. With the MDs you are getting a very intimate sound, with a closed soundstage with not much width. The sound is warm-ish in comparison to the HE-500 as well, with smoother mids. The HE-500 has better air around instruments, with a more open sound due to the open nature of the headphone I suppose. I also found the HE-500 to scale quite nicely with higher end equipment and more power. Detail retrieval is better, imaging, and separation are all better with the HE-500. I think it all comes down to what kind of sound you are looking for. I would compare the MD's sound to the HD650, while the HE-500 is more like AKG K702. I've never had a problem with the treble spike in the 10-14k range of the HE-500 either. Overall if you are looking for a neutral-ish sound signature, with great bass impact, and with slight sparkly highs then the HE-500 is your can. The MD's are great cans for all around use, with a more warm signature, not as much bass impact but good extension, and slightly toned down treble.

Comfort wise there is no question the MD's take it by a mile. There are a few mods that made the HE-500 more comfortable (i.e comfort strap headband, different ear cups) but they are heavy, and for some maybe a deal breaker.

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #4,512 of 6,388
I don't feel the MDs are warmer than the 500s. They are darker for sure (much darker) but the 500s have more warmth (mid bass emphasis + bloom) to my ears.

In their dark realm, the MDs are more balanced than the 500s, which means the FR is more even across the spectrum, even though it's tilted from bass (up) to treble (down).
The 500s have a mid bass and a upper mid emphasis. In that, they are more colored than the MDs and, as a result of the mid bass emphasis and smooth treble, are warmer overall (even though then have more treble energy).

My dark might be your warm, though.

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #4,513 of 6,388
Hey guys,

I had a random question about my newly acquired Mad Dogs which are awesome, by the way.  I noticed that before I picked up my JDSLabs DAC that the headphones were free from bass distortion.  However, as soon as I plugged them cans into my O2 amp via the DAC, they immediately picked up bass distortion.   When they were plugged into the O2 amp via my crappy sound card, the can's bass came through clean.  The files that I'm running are FLACs so it shouldn't be from the source.

Thoughts?

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #4,514 of 6,388
If you are using the high gain setting with the O2 amp, there is a good chance that you might experience some clipping.  Try the lower gain setting on the amp and see if you still get clipping.  

I've actually cut a couple of resistors on my O2 so that my gain is 0dB and 2.5dB.  I only use the 2.5dB setting when I connect my iPod via an LOD cable.  For my sources with 2 or more Vrms, I use the 0dB gain setting.

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #4,515 of 6,388
Quote:
Hey guys,

I had a random question about my newly acquired Mad Dogs which are awesome, by the way.  I noticed that before I picked up my JDSLabs DAC that the headphones were free from bass distortion.  However, as soon as I plugged them cans into my O2 amp via the DAC, they immediately picked up bass distortion.   When they were plugged into the O2 amp via my crappy sound card, the can's bass came through clean.  The files that I'm running are FLACs so it shouldn't be from the source.

Thoughts?

Assuming you are listening at the same volume and aren't touching your software settings, it sounds like it's potentially an issue with clipping your DAC, which can happen if your media player is using EQ, bass boost, tone controls, or even if it allows gain beyond 0dB.  Make sure the gain is properly set in your media player and turn everything else off.  

It could also simply be a DAC defect, but I'd look to your software settings first.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back