"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 25, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #4,486 of 6,388
Yeah it's not hard, probably just easier selling them in the buy/sale section of Head Fi tho.

Yes. Exactly. How else than via PayPal in that section? The only reason I haven't sold my E9 or O2 there so far is that I don't know how to do it without getting swindled. Most sellers ask for PayPal, I figured I'd have to as well.

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #4,487 of 6,388
Quote:
How much of a step down are these from the HE-500?  I love the sound of the HE-500, but they require me to wear different glasses and they are pretty heavy.

I was thinking about maybe buying Mad Dogs and selling my HE-500...except I don't know how to sell on a classified ad with Paypal....like...at all.

To me they sound like your HD650's, a little softer in the bass maybe, and closed.  If you are selling in head-fi fs section, the buyer traditionally pays up front.  If you have no feedback, some buyers might be reluctant to pay up front.  I've bought and sold a lot over the years.  If you want to move this to PM's, let me know.

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #4,489 of 6,388
Yes.

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #4,490 of 6,388
Yes. Exactly. How else than via PayPal in that section? The only reason I haven't sold my E9 or O2 there so far is that I don't know how to do it without getting swindled. Most sellers ask for PayPal, I figured I'd have to as well.

Oh sorry, for some reason I thought I'd read Ebay on your previous post... Paypal's really easy to use, I don't even have it linked to my bank account (just a CC for buying). I just use whatever balance I accumulate for my next random online purchase(s). As for the actual process, you just give the buyer your email and they'll post the Paypal payment that way, once it's in you just them the article.

Couldn't be easier, selling is way less risky than buying too, for obvious reasons. Does Head Fi have a custom feedback system btw? I've actually never sold/bought here, just other forums (mostly PC ones, most of those use the Heat feedback system). Like someone said, with no feedback some buyers might shy away but having an active account here with plenty of recent posts helps IMO.

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #4,492 of 6,388
Quote:
If you're going to sell your HE 500's I'd be interested.

It would only be if I tried the Mad Dogs and found them near enough to the HE-500.

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #4,493 of 6,388
Sounds good. I don't suppose anyone can give their opinion on whether the HE 500 is a lot better than the MD's?

Yeah I'm interested in hearing peoples opinions about this. Someone must be able to chime in.

It would only be if I tried the Mad Dogs and found them near enough to the HE-500.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #4,494 of 6,388
Quote:
How much of a step down are these from the HE-500?  I love the sound of the HE-500, but they require me to wear different glasses and they are pretty heavy.

I was thinking about maybe buying Mad Dogs and selling my HE-500...except I don't know how to sell on a classified ad with Paypal....like...at all.

- The MDs are much darker, less "bite" in the treble (the 500s don't have much either but still more than the MDs) and a "closed-in" sound (vs. the 500s).
+ The MDs are more balanced which makes details come out more easily. It's a "monitor" type of sound (in term of ambiance & details) but the sound is far from being sterile or anything often associated  with "monitor".

In term of comfort, I now use the Alpha Pads with all my headphones (including the 2 Hifimans I have left, 4s & 5LEs) so that's a toss up. The 500s might be a bit heavy with the Alpha Pads (never tried, I sold the 500s just before). The Mad Dogs are still quite heavy with the Alpha Pads (~420g) which makes them similar in weight to something like the 400s with velour pads (the 400s are heavier but the weight is more balanced so, overall, it's similar).

If you're OK with a dark & laid back sound, then the MDs are excellent :wink:

If you crave for comfort, the Alpha Pads are the real deal!

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #4,495 of 6,388
- The MDs are much darker, less "bite" in the treble (the 500s don't have much either but still more than the MDs) and a "closed-in" sound (vs. the 500s).
+ The MDs are more balanced which makes details come out more easily. It's a "monitor" type of sound (in term of ambiance & details) but the sound is far from being sterile or anything often associated  with "monitor".

In term of comfort, I now use the Alpha Pads with all my headphones (including the 2 Hifimans I have left, 4s & 5LEs) so that's a toss up. The 500s might be a bit heavy with the Alpha Pads (never tried, I sold the 500s just before). The Mad Dogs are still quite heavy with the Alpha Pads (~420g) which makes them similar in weight to something like the 400s with velour pads (the 400s are heavier but the weight is more balanced so, overall, it's similar).

If you're OK with a dark & laid back sound, then the MDs are excellent :wink:

If you crave for comfort, the Alpha Pads are the real deal!

Are the HE 500's more detailed and transparent than the MD's?

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #4,496 of 6,388
Wait..do Alpha Pads fit the HE-500?

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #4,497 of 6,388
I, I have a pair of he 400 rev2 and love them !!
but because of the leaking sound i can't use them every time I want...

I'm looking for some closed cans with non fatiguing treble and mad dogs could be a good choice
I just love the bass from he 400's (eq +3) am I gonna get frustrated with MD and alpha pads ??

Bass impacts are very important for the music I listen to, some people here say MD's are lacking low ends, do you confirm ??

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #4,498 of 6,388
Quote:
I, I have a pair of he 400 rev2 and love them !!
but because of the leaking sound i can't use them every time I want...

I'm looking for some closed cans with non fatiguing treble and mad dogs could be a good choice
I just love the bass from he 400's (eq +3) am I gonna get frustrated with MD and alpha pads ??

Bass impacts are very important for the music I listen to, some people here say MD's are lacking low ends, do you confirm ??

1. The MD is exactly that.

2. The MD goes as low as the he400 but without as much visceral impact. The he400 will "color" the bass meaning it will be accentuated a bit in most all material. The MD will hit the bass note like that recording calls for.

The MD bass surprises me at times. Once you gotten used to a more neutral signature, you can forget that the MD can hit as low as it can and then  it hits nicely when the songs calls for it. It will put a smile on your face. 
size]

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #4,499 of 6,388
sounds good :D

Its better to get alpha pads and EQ's up low end, or get dog pads to get the best from MD ??

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #4,500 of 6,388
sounds good :D

Its better to get alpha pads and EQ's up low end, or get dog pads to get the best from MD ??

Definitely the Alpha Pads + EQing!

The Mad Dogs respond really well to EQing :wink: that's how I could overcome the dark tone when it first was bothering me :wink:. I might well get a Meridian Explorer to replace my HP-A3 and shift the tonal balance towards brighter/more engaged sound. I love the fostex though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back