"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Feb 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #3,481 of 6,388
Well I already have dog pads. Would it be worth getting the alpha pads? Also there are leather then lamb leather. What would be the differences comfort wise between the two leathers? 

cheers

The comfort is MUCH better on the alpha pads to my ears, and it even sounds better to boot!

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #3,482 of 6,388
Mad Dogs are in the shopping cart with my finger twitching to press "check out".  Only thing holding me back is the thought "Are these an upgrade from my D2000?" 

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #3,483 of 6,388
Quote:
Well I already have dog pads. Would it be worth getting the alpha pads? Also there are leather then lamb leather. What would be the differences comfort wise between the two leathers? 

cheers

I was part of the test group, and probably one of the more skeptical members.  I went from dog pads to Alpha pads.  Yes, it is worth the upgrade at the full price, and way worth the upgrade at the introductory price.  Comfort, seal, isolation, air, midrange and bass response all improve, with little or no downside.

Check this thread out for folks impressed / surprised by auditions of the Mad Dogs at the SF bay area meet last Sunday - Mr. Speakers was there with 3 setups, and I had mine there.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651714/2013-sf-bay-area-changfest-meet-impressions-thread

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #3,484 of 6,388
Mad Dogs are in the shopping cart with my finger twitching to press "check out".  Only thing holding me back is the thought "Are these an upgrade from my D2000?" 
They are a lot crisper to most people...

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #3,487 of 6,388
I gave in and let my twitching finger think for me.  Plus, if they're not for me, I always have the 15 day return policy to fall on. But something tells me that these will probably be a keeper.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #3,488 of 6,388
Quote:

Depends. If by upgrade, you mean much more neutral response, less distortion, cleaner sound (faster decays), etc., then yes. I can't think of one way the D2000 is technically better from that perspective. The D2000 is much easier to drive. That's about it.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #3,489 of 6,388
Quote:
They are a lot crisper to most people...

Quote:
There is no question.

Quote:
^ agreed. these are moar better

Quote:

Depends. If by upgrade, you mean much more neutral response, less distortion, cleaner sound (faster decays), etc., then yes. I can't think of one way the D2000 is technically better from that perspective. The D2000 is much easier to drive. That's about it.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #3,490 of 6,388
Quote:
I gave in and let my twitching finger think for me.  Plus, if they're not for me, I always have the 15 day return policy to fall on. But something tells me that these will probably be a keeper.

Not too many people are taking advantage of that return policy 
size]

They will have a similar punch to the Denons, but they'll be a little smoother across the midrange and the bass will be much more controlled. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #3,491 of 6,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadley /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the quick responses.

Don't forget the difference in bass! That is the main selling point of the denons after all. Don't get me wrong, the mad dogs have good clear bass, but they are a tad bit shy of neutral and don't have a whole lot of 'slam'. So basically, the Mad Dogs are definitely a clear upgrade... unless you like a bassy headphone.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #3,492 of 6,388
Quote:
Don't forget the difference in bass! That is the main selling point of the denons after all. Don't get me wrong, the mad dogs have good clear bass, but they are a tad bit shy of neutral and don't have a whole lot of 'slam'. So basically, the Mad Dogs are definitely a clear upgrade... unless you like a bassy headphone.

That's the one area I worry about.  I don't consider myself a basshead but I do like the bass of the Denons.  Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #3,493 of 6,388
Quote:
That's the one area I worry about.  I don't consider myself a basshead but I do like the bass of the Denons.  Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Ditto.  Malveaux assured me with the proper EQ and amping (which I do double) they do have plenty of bass.  I have faith they will. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #3,494 of 6,388
Quote:

I bet you are fine with the MD's.  I came from D7000's, with a short run wit hthe DT1350 in between.  I am very happy with the Mad Dogs.  The MD's are more honest, a shade less exciting, but to me, in a good way - kind of a lame description, I know.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #3,495 of 6,388
Quote:
Ditto.  Malveaux assured me with the proper EQ and amping (which I do double) they do have plenty of bass.  I have faith they will. 

I'm thinking I should be good with my asgard but then I read somewhere that the asgard isn't friendly with ortho's.  I hope that's not the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back