"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #2,266 of 6,388
Quote:
Hm, the proper way to put them on is essentially to pre-stretch the elastic "waist" the forms the innermost edge of the mounting gasket.  You are the first person I mailed pads to, and it didn't occur to me to pre-stretch them for you.  

I have made a quick video of stretching the pad to get it ready, it's on Youtube here.  

A video of putting the pad on the headphone is here.

Dan, what material do you use to create the circular stick pad?  Thank you in advance.

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #2,267 of 6,388
Quote:

I certainly appreciate the alternative on vintage amps and have heard many here that I respect praise them for their ability to drive orthos to their full potential at a fraction of the cost of a dedicated hp amp. But...they are not for me. For one, I don't want to deal with the issue of potential repairs on failing components on a vintage amp. Yes, I know that you could have issues with any amp even my lyr, but I'll deal with the and sleep with the support of the warranty any day over a 30 year old receiver. 

The lyr just hits all the right check boxes for me. Each to his own and I'm not pushing it on anyone. All that I'm saying is that as someone who has owned a dozen dedicated hp amps the lyr does not disappoint on any level. Add tube rolling to the mix and there is potentially another layer (pun) added of fun and enjoyment on this brilliant amp. 

True, to a point. On the other hand, it only costs at most a couple hundred (same or less than tube rolling) to properly recap a receiver like this, and it has been used constantly over the past 4 years that I've owned it without a single issue. Plus, these big old receivers/amps deliver loads of current to drive any headphone out there.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #2,268 of 6,388
Hi guys,

I haven't been frequenting the boards at all lately. Is the preferred method of getting the Dog Pads on my Mad Dogs still sending them in, or is it something I can do myself? I paid for the Dog Pads in August and kept telling myself I'd send them off to Dan, haha. I'm finishing up this semester and would like to finally cross this off of my todo list.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #2,269 of 6,388
Quote:
Hi guys,

I haven't been frequenting the boards at all lately. Is the preferred method of getting the Dog Pads on my Mad Dogs still sending them in, or is it something I can do myself? I paid for the Dog Pads in August and kept telling myself I'd send them off to Dan, haha. I'm finishing up this semester and would like to finally cross this off of my todo list.

Dan has conveniently provided some links to videos on the process in this posting: http://www.head-fi.org/t/613576/mad-dog-by-mrspeakers-modified-fostex-t50rp-review/2250#post_8963512  The videos are rather intuitive and get to the point on how to easily handle the process.

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #2,270 of 6,388
Quote:
Dan, what material do you use to create the circular stick pad?  Thank you in advance.

Not sure what a "stick pad" is, but to be honest, I don't disclose the materials I use, or why...  Sorry.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 17, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #2,271 of 6,388
Quote:
Hi guys,

Hi...  The Dog Pad video I showed was only for replacement of a Dog Pad with a Dog Pad...  The upgrade from the 840 version to Dog Pads does require you send the unit to me...  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 17, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #2,272 of 6,388
Got mine in the mail this morning...definitely right about the quick shipping! Won't know what these guys are fully capable of until I get my DAC and amp set up back home but even out of my girlfriends MacBook they wonderful! Thanks Dan for making such a great product, time to put on some Yes and waste the morning...

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #2,273 of 6,388
Just got a pair today.  Was considering Hifiman 500, but was going to wait until sometime next year.  These were less than half the price, with 15 day trial, so after reading many a 
"way above their price point" sort of reviews, I figured "why not?"  Still researching for a headphone amp that I will run off my highend tube preamp in my hifi rig (Convergent Audio Technology (CAT) SL1 Signature MK III), right now using an Apogee Duet 2 that I bought for combination music recording/macbook pro semi-portable headphone amp duties.  Will be nice when I get an amp to listen to vinyl (!), though I'm going to run the preamp into the Duet 2 for now so I can.   Anyways, right now listening to 24/96 and cd WAV files via Songbird on the macbook pro.  Have a pair of Ultrasone Proline (2500, I think, older model), Beyer DT770 Pro (250 ohm version), and a pair of Beyer DT250s that I use in my professional life as a location sound recordist for documentary, television and commercial video (originally bought the DT770 Pros to mix with as I was getting tired of years of using Sony 7906s, not realizing it was the more accurate DT250s I was supposed to by, so I got an extra set of headphones I didn't need).

I have been investigating orthos of late, esp. since I have electrostatic hybrid speakers (Innersound Eros MKIII), and have familiarity with planar transducer sound.  I've auditioned Audeze and Hifman offerings at canjams, and had been considering LC2 or Hifman H500 (though in a different zingy dynamic way, the Sennheiser 800 also intrigued me).  Anyways, got the modded Fostex headphones from Mr Speakers.  The first few minutes was interesting: I expected to be knocked out and was not quite.  Seemed a bit laid back, bass shy, etc.  I reminded myself that these were planar headphones, and just as I got used to and came to like how electrostatic planar speakers reproduced music, I should approach these as a different animal than dynamic headphones.  Also, I realized the phones may not be burned in, the duet 2 was not "warmed up", etc.  Well, within 10 minutes I was settled into what these headphones would do.  They are great, esp. for the price.  Like what I like about a number of electrostatic and magnaplanar speakers: a sense that the music sounds detailed (but not in a hyped way, like some dynamic speakers and tweeters can be), but at the same time very natural and "real".  Spacial cues are quite evident without being thrown in your face.  Like the detailed yet strangely forgiving nature of some electrostats and planars, the high frequency info is there, but not hyped up or peaky.  And midrange is clear and natural.  Bass is very good, not the deepest yet tuneful and quick (these are not bass freaks rocker/hip hop headphones, but they still play rock, punk and metal fine).  I goofed with high rez and CD level WAV files, a mix of stuff including John Coltrane, Talking Heads, Sleater Kinney, Black Sabbath (yes....), Air (10,000 KHZ superstar, great headphone album), Eric Dolphy, Queens of the Stoneage, Nick Drake, Pink Floyd, Wilco, 60s Rolling Stones, Miles Davis, Love, The Doors, Merzbow (extreme Japanese noise master, great for breaking in speakers and headphones), plus some audiophile goofy but nice sounding test tracks.  These headphones were enjoyable with everything, with well recorded material they displayed all the strengths of the recording: spatial cues/soundstage, intimate details of vocal performances, etc.  With bad recordings they showed off that they were bad/lesser recordings, but like with my home speakers, while you could tell it was poorly recorded, you could still sit back and enjoy the music (the fact that these headphones are slightly warmer than on the bright side helps with this a lot.  Not the case with my Ultrasones, unpleasantly bright sounds are presented on those headphones as especially unpleasant bright sounds, making some poor recordings less pleasant to deal with).

I have a feeling these will not be going back, and even if in the future I find a more expensive pair of headphones that performs better enough for me to spring for, I would still keep these as backup or less expensive headphones I would travel with.  But I don't feel a rush to get something else, just discovering these wonders.  Next is a decent amp to run off my tube preamp at night to listen to vinyl while the wife sleeps.  My guess is with these headphones is that I want to get something a bit robust, and that with the Apogee Duet 2 (and my ipod/AOL Audio amp portable combo) I'm not hearing 100% what these headphones can do.  A good headphone amp will bring that to life.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #2,274 of 6,388
Oh, and for kicks I let my wife try the Fostex Mad dogs and Beyer DT770 Pros.  Her reaction to hearing the modded Fostex was "Wow, these are nice!" (Talking Heads "I Zimbra", 24/96 track I burned from a DVD-Audio disc).  Then she put on the Byers.  "Um, these are bright, right?"  "Yeah, some people like that".  "I don't, these (the Byers) don't sound good at all!"  My wife has good ears (she also wears headphones a lot doing video work).

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #2,275 of 6,388
Oh, and for kicks I let my wife try the Fostex Mad dogs and Beyer DT770 Pros.  Her reaction to hearing the modded Fostex was "Wow, these are nice!" (Talking Heads "I Zimbra", 24/96 track I burned from a DVD-Audio disc).  Then she put on the Byers.  "Um, these are bright, right?"  "Yeah, some people like that".  "I don't, these (the Byers) don't sound good at all!"  My wife has good ears (she also wears headphones a lot doing video work).

This is awesome

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #2,276 of 6,388
Quote:

I think your wife covered in 3 sentences what we've been trying to say for 152 pages...

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #2,277 of 6,388
So I have a pair of DT880's (250 ohm) that I'm burning in and on the Leckerton MK-II I had it on high gain with the volume maxed and it was tolerable for sure. I'm trying to figure out whether the Leckerton MK-II will drive the Mad Dogs well. I wanna cry thinking it won't be able to.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #2,278 of 6,388
Screw it, I just ordered them. Merry Christmas to me! Hopefully theyll be here by christmas, so I have something to do.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #2,279 of 6,388
Quote:
Screw it, I just ordered them. Merry Christmas to me! Hopefully theyll be here by christmas, so I have something to do.

They won't
frown.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #2,280 of 6,388
They won't:frowning2:

Actually, I emailed Dan and he said they would be shipping out tomorrow via 2-3 day shipping. By my calculations, they should get here Saturday if the USPS keeps their guarantee...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back