"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Nov 29, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,967 of 6,388
Do i need an amp to drive these?

I am really not looking into an amp driven headphone. How this compare to the K550, HD600, or the Momentum? 
I am new here, and almost to pull a trigger to the K550s. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #1,968 of 6,388
Quote:
Do i need an amp to drive these?

I am really not looking into an amp driven headphone. How this compare to the K550, HD600, or the Momentum? 
I am new here, and almost to pull a trigger to the K550s. 

mvtm,

I do believe an amplifier is recommended for Mad dogs, but not necessary for casual listening, the Objective2 I found to be a great pairing to the Mad dogs for a more affordable amplifier, and did them full justice.
Compared to the K550, HD600 and Momentum, I haven't heard the Momentum, but I can say the Mad dogs, to me, gave a more fun listening experience than both the K550 and HD600, I can't find a single area where the K550 bests the Mad dogs, other than being quite stylish, the HD600s are a more tame experience, smoother low-end (less punch/texture, but smoother), the Mad dogs I found to be more transparent, detailed. Both having similar soundstage depth with the HD600s having a wider presentation.

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #1,969 of 6,388
Quote:

Yup!
Cowon C2 (64gb microSD, on Shuffle mode) + Leckerton UHA-6SMKII + Mad Dogs == Bliss

Makes dull work days passable! :p

I so wish I could listen to music at work!

Quote:
How do you like the MKII with the Mad Dogs? I just ordered it :D

Works really nice with the mad dogs. If you search this thread I wrote a tiny bit on it compared to the c421.  Also wanted to add the battery life is really good. I can't remember the last time I charged it. (not using as a dac)

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #1,971 of 6,388
Upon reading various pages of this incredibly long thread i do have a doubt. I am currently deciding between the K550s and now the Mad Dogs. Upon reading this thread it is known that the MD is a very comfortable headphone. But what i would like to know is how the Dog Pads compare to the K550 comfort wise. Also Isolation. Which isolates the most? Can anyone that owns both please comment?

For Dan, i was wondering if it would be possible to buy them in store in Miami, FL. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #1,972 of 6,388
Quote:
Upon reading various pages of this incredibly long thread i do have a doubt. I am currently deciding between the K550s and now the Mad Dogs. Upon reading this thread it is known that the MD is a very comfortable headphone. But what i would like to know is how the Dog Pads compare to the K550 comfort wise. Also Isolation. Which isolates the most? Can anyone that owns both please comment?

The K550 was not as comfortable as I was once thought. The headband caused annoying pain on top of my head. I didn't have that issue with the Mad Dog. Isolation, I think they're on par, though I've heard the K550 had a fit issue to some people.

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #1,973 of 6,388
Quote:

For Dan, i was wondering if it would be possible to buy them in store in Miami, FL. 

I have both and IMHO you will probably be much happier with the Mad Dogs as far as sound quality. To me they are much much more pleasing to the ear.  Both isolate about the same (my k550's fit well, some people have complained about getting a good fit/seal though).  I have used both on buses and although they don't drown out the engine noise completely they do a better than average job and I never felt the need to turn up my music to compensate.  The only thing I feel the K550's have going for them over the Mad Dog's is a more streamlined design.  For large ear cup phone, the AKG's sit pretty damn flush with your head.  The Mad Dogs are definitely more bulky.  That shouldn't matter to you if you are using them at home, but on the street, it *may* not suit you.  I, however, rock them on the bus, metro and sidewalk :)

edit - Just wanted to add, as far as comfort goes I'll give the nod to the Mad Dogs as well (comfort-strap/dogpad version), but both are pretty comfy.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #1,974 of 6,388
Quote:

Hi...  I don't have a retailer in Florida.  Most of my business is direct, which is why I offer the 15 day return policy.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #1,975 of 6,388
I think i am going to pass on these. Carrying an O2 Amp + DAC everywhere i want to hear music does not sound viable to me. I am female and wont bother plugging too many cables just to hear music from my laptop. Gosh, what i was thinking! It's out of my budget. $300 for the headphone + $300 for the DAC and Amp. Clearly the right way to hear these is with proper equipment. I've been using some SR80 since 2004 and only wanted a more comfy,closed headphone that i can keep home or carry with me for casual iPod,Cellphone,Laptop listening, that could work nicely on an airplane too if needed. Just to think i'll have to carry 2 more items... (and the looks of people...)

In all these years i've never had the courage to take those SR80 outside home. I just plugged any cheap earbud instead. I am not fond of the comfort and looks of my Grado's, this is why i wanted to change for something better. But even a $200 K550 might be over the top for me. 

Too much forum reading full of guys. My audio necessities aren't complex. $250 max all included to keep a nice pair of headphones on home and to take them when flying. I think i am back to earth !! 
tongue.gif

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #1,976 of 6,388
Quote:
I think i am going to pass on these. Carrying an O2 Amp + DAC everywhere i want to hear music does not sound viable to me. I am female and wont bother plugging too many cables just to hear music from my laptop. Gosh, what i was thinking! It's out of my budget. $300 for the headphone + $300 for the DAC and Amp. Clearly the right way to hear these is with proper equipment. I've been using some SR80 since 2004 and only wanted a more comfy,closed headphone that i can keep home or carry with me for casual iPod,Cellphone,Laptop listening, that could work nicely on an airplane too if needed. Just to think i'll have to carry 2 more items... (and the looks of people...)

In all these years i've never had the courage to take those SR80 outside home. I just plugged any cheap earbud instead. I am not fond of the comfort and looks of my Grado's, this is why i wanted to change for something better. But even a $200 K550 might be over the top for me. 

Too much forum reading full of guys. My audio necessities aren't complex. $250 max all included to keep a nice pair of headphones on home and to take them when flying. I think i am back to earth !! 
tongue.gif

I'm happy you've managed to break of the Head-Fi spell :) As for me, im afraid it's only going to get worse.

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #1,977 of 6,388
Quote:

tongue.gif

You definitely don't need to carry around a bunch of gear for good sound quality on the go.  I think there are quite a few headphones that would work nicely for what you are describing.  The Mad Dogs are probably not it though. :)   If and when you are ready to read more forums, check out the portable headphone forum!

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #1,978 of 6,388
Quote:
... I've been using some SR80 since 2004 and only wanted a more comfy,closed headphone that i can keep home or carry with me for casual iPod,Cellphone,Laptop listening, that could work nicely on an airplane too if needed. Just to think i'll have to carry 2 more items... (and the looks of people...) ...

You'll probably want to look into portable headphones instead of full sized ones. Like V-Moda M80, Sennheiser PX100, etc.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #1,979 of 6,388
Quote:
You'll probably want to look into portable headphones instead of full sized ones. Like V-Moda M80, Sennheiser PX100, etc.

Yup, that's what i'm doing. I don't like the V Moda's though, they are so aggressive looking.I am liking the Sennheiser HD25 Adidas. These look great!, i am liking the blue colors. If i can find the absolute cheap price for this brand new... i could make my mind between this and the K550. Or if someone can take pictures of both of them size by size to get a better grip of the difference in dimensions! Also so i can compare the looks.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #1,980 of 6,388
Quote:

tongue.gif

Mine sound pretty nice out of an ipod / Pico Slim.  They are not a great traveling headphone though.  I use them back and forth to work, but don't take them traveling or flying.  Just too bulky for that purpose for me.  I am going as far as an iBasso D6 for a more powerful amp right now, and the Centrance HIFI-M8 once it ships.  That is by choice, though, not necessity.

Still, there are better headphones out there for travel, IMHO.  The Beyer DT1350 can be had for a decent price used, as can the Senn HD-25-1-II.  Both are excellent, both play great straight out of an iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back