"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Nov 30, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #1,981 of 6,388
Quote:
Mine sound pretty nice out of an ipod / Pico Slim.  They are not a great traveling headphone though.  I use them back and forth to work, but don't take them traveling or flying.  Just too bulky for that purpose for me.  I am going as far as an iBasso D6 for a more powerful amp right now, and the Centrance HIFI-M8 once it ships.  That is by choice, though, not necessity.

Still, there are better headphones out there for travel, IMHO.  The Beyer DT1350 can be had for a decent price used, as can the Senn HD-25-1-II.  Both are excellent, both play great straight out of an iPod.

I agree I use them going to and from classes on campus from my apartment right out of my iphone5. Sound just fine. Granted an o2 or fiio e17 would help, they dont NEEEED it. Both orthos love ampage so I will probably get another portable amp soon. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #1,982 of 6,388
Quote:

Yup, that's what i'm doing. I don't like the V Moda's though, they are so aggressive looking.I am liking the Sennheiser HD25 Adidas. These look great!, i am liking the blue colors. If i can find the absolute cheap price for this brand new... i could make my mind between this and the K550. Or if someone can take pictures of both of them size by size to get a better grip of the difference in dimensions! Also so i can compare the looks.

If you are female and average head size, the K550 will most likely be too big for you. They are big in any regard and aren't very portable looking at all (but they sound very good). The Sennheiser HD25 would be a good bet in this regard or better yet, IEM.

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #1,983 of 6,388
Quote:
I think i am going to pass on these. Carrying an O2 Amp + DAC everywhere i want to hear music does not sound viable to me. I am female and wont bother plugging too many cables just to hear music from my laptop. Gosh, what i was thinking! It's out of my budget. $300 for the headphone + $300 for the DAC and Amp. Clearly the right way to hear these is with proper equipment. I've been using some SR80 since 2004 and only wanted a more comfy,closed headphone that i can keep home or carry with me for casual iPod,Cellphone,Laptop listening, that could work nicely on an airplane too if needed. Just to think i'll have to carry 2 more items... (and the looks of people...)

In all these years i've never had the courage to take those SR80 outside home. I just plugged any cheap earbud instead. I am not fond of the comfort and looks of my Grado's, this is why i wanted to change for something better. But even a $200 K550 might be over the top for me. 

Too much forum reading full of guys. My audio necessities aren't complex. $250 max all included to keep a nice pair of headphones on home and to take them when flying. I think i am back to earth !! 
tongue.gif

LOL!
Got ya!

You can look into: V-Moda M80s, Shure SRH840, etc.

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #1,984 of 6,388
Quote:
How do you like the MKII with the Mad Dogs? I just ordered it :D

They do sound excellent to these ears and I'm pretty sure you will love it. They definitely can push some power to the Mad Dogs and yes, I can drive them to ear-splitting levels, no distortion.

Enjoy!

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #1,985 of 6,388
Quote:

They do sound excellent to these ears and I'm pretty sure you will love it. They definitely can push some power to the Mad Dogs and yes, I can drive them to ear-splitting levels, no distortion.

Enjoy!

Glad to hear it, driving them to ear-splitting levels was what I was hoping for lol

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #1,986 of 6,388
Just got mine today I have to say I'm a tad disappointed. They don't sound as good as most people claim here. Do they require a lot of burn-in?
Also I'm using the grey cable with mini jack, will they sound better with the original cable?
The comfort's amazing nevertheless.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #1,987 of 6,388
Quote:
Just got mine today I have to say I'm a tad disappointed. They don't sound as good as most people claim here. Do they require a lot of burn-in?
Also I'm using the grey cable with mini jack, will they sound better with the original cable?

people do hype them like crazy, they do sound really good IMO but I get what you're saying. IIRC they don't require any burn-in, I've used various cables including stock/vmoda/norse and a balanced hardwire split from BTG audio. The only difference I noticed was with the split. They seemed a lot more open. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,988 of 6,388
Quote:
If you are female and average head size, the K550 will most likely be too big for you. They are big in any regard and aren't very portable looking at all (but they sound very good). The Sennheiser HD25 would be a good bet in this regard or better yet, IEM.

I just measured by head circunstance and asked in the K550 thread. I don't know if you have experience but it is 54cm (21.25 inches)
Anyone has a clue?

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #1,989 of 6,388
How do Mad Dogs with Dog Pads pair with ZO2.3 for a portable bump in bass?

Also how do they do when paired with iBasso D7?

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #1,990 of 6,388
Quote:
people do hype them like crazy, they do sound really good IMO but I get what you're saying. IIRC they don't require any burn-in, I've used various cables including stock/vmoda/norse and a balanced hardwire split from BTG audio. The only difference I noticed was with the split. They seemed a lot more open. 

Maybe I set my expectation too high, thanks to the hypes, I don't know. But still, it got me wondering, are all those mad dogs consistent? I mean even those from mass production can't be identical, let alone these mods. Is it possible that some are better modified than others and I just got the short end of the stick?

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #1,992 of 6,388
Maybe I set my expectation too high, thanks to the hypes, I don't know. But still, it got me wondering, are all those mad dogs consistent? I mean even those from mass production can't be identical, let alone these mods. Is it possible that some are better modified than others and I just got the short end of the stick?

I believe that Dan test/measures each pair, and while there have been a couple instances of inconsistencies, Dan has recalled the affected headphones and rectified the situation each time. On your disappointment, I have some questions:

1) What exactly were you expectations?
2) What are you using to drive them (amp and source)?
3) What sound profile to you tend to favor (neutral, bright, bassy, etc.)?
4) How loud do you usually listen?
5) What other gear do you or did you own?

Answers to these types of questions may help to figure out if there's an issue with your pair, a deficiency in your audio chain, or if they just wouldn't be your cup of tea.

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,993 of 6,388
T
I believe that Dan test/measures each pair, and while there have been a couple instances of inconsistencies, Dan has recalled the affected headphones and rectified the situation each time. On your disappointment, I have some questions:
1) What exactly were you expectations?
2) What are you using to drive them (amp and source)?
3) What sound profile to you tend to favor (neutral, bright, bassy, etc.)?
4) How loud do you usually listen?
5) What other gear do you or did you own?
Answers to these types of questions may help to figure out if there's an issue with your pair, a deficiency in your audio chain, or if they just wouldn't be your cup of tea.

This. They aren't life changing, but they are good, unless the sound signature isn't a fit for you. It was right up my alley. From my limited experience Grado / Ultrasone lovers may not be mad dog lovers. Sennheiser and shure iem lovers will likely dig them. Denon lovers - probably, unless you are looking for the boosted bass. Generalizing for sure.

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #1,994 of 6,388
Quote:

Original Cable sounds far better :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back