"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Nov 28, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #1,952 of 6,388
Quote:
The Mad Dig is not a portable headphone since the T50RP was designed for studio use. Portable amps can drive the MD. Even my rockboxed Sansa Clip Zip can. Yet amping is highly suggested.

Ah. I'd take the plunge on the Mad Dogs if they had a portability factor, which is why I'm settling on m-100's for the time being, since akg k267's are still over a month away. If I ever found myself in a less mobile living situation where I can put a somewhat bulky ortho to use with a proper amp I'd be on these so fast. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #1,954 of 6,388
Quote:
Could any one recommend a dac+amp combo for them? 
Budget:$300-400
Other headphones I have or going to get soon : Fidelio L1/ Akg Q701

O2/ODAC or Dragon Fly. 
L3000.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #1,955 of 6,388
Quote:
Ah. I'd take the plunge on the Mad Dogs if they had a portability factor, which is why I'm settling on m-100's for the time being, since akg k267's are still over a month away. If I ever found myself in a less mobile living situation where I can put a somewhat bulky ortho to use with a proper amp I'd be on these so fast. 

They work as a portable for me. They are rugged, isolate very well and have the vmoda cable which is shorter lighter and more flexible. I took them with me for the Thanksgiving holiday and used an ipod, e17 and lod for source and amp. While I could hear a tangible difference b\w that setup and the lyr I have at home, it was quite enjoyable. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #1,956 of 6,388
Quote:
I know you were asking Matt but when it comes to the Mad Dogs vs. LCD-2's at the end of the day obviously the LCD-2's sound better but when you put it as $250 vs $1000 the MD's stomp on the LCD-2's.

Quote:
AGD Master-5 (balanced hopefully) or my SA-31. Mobile would be either the NFB-16 or my D-Zero. 

Quote:
I might enjoy these- I love my K550 but it's flaw IMO is the upper mid brightness, and my DT770/600 needs more refined bass like the K550 (and easier to drive wouldn't hurt).

For me.  Balanced is the way to go.  That Master 5 will make the Mad Dogs bark pretty loud.  But be careful, their bite is much worse than their bark.  Meaning they just flat out sound good. I got mines re-cabled and use them on fully balanced amps.  I really don't link the cable it comes with, but that's just me.  I find when using them balanced they perform better across the board. 

Lets face it.  These are not LCDs.  But they will and they do compete directly with any headphones in the sub $600 category and will beat the majority of them.  IMO.  

Mad Dog can directly compete with the following that's still in production:

Any AKG
Any Denon
Any Ultrasone
Any Senns. Except the HD800s  (Don't really know to much about the HD700s) (Those who prefer classical music may go with the HD600?)
Any Beyers Except the T1s
Any Audio Technica Except the W3000anv

The Hifimans are the main competitors IMO.  I just happen to like Hifimans.  The Mad Dogs vs. HE-400s, HE-500s, HE-5LE and HE-4s would be very interesting to see what folks think.

Also the Paradox is a direct competitor, while it may be technically better than the Mad Dog - I just find the Mad Dog a more fun headphone to listen to.
Many of you may not have had the chance to listen to a BMF from Keith.  But the Mad Dog and the BMFs are like 1a and 1b in my book.

This is all IMO.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #1,957 of 6,388

Mad Dog can directly compete with the following that's still in production:

Any AKG
Any Denon
Any Ultrasone
Any Senns. Except the HD800s  (Don't really know to much about the HD700s) (Those who prefer classical music may go with the HD600?)
Any Beyers Except the T1s
Any Audio Technica Except the W3000anv

That's interesting, I may have to try these after all, I think I saw them in the window of some store down the road from me selling them.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #1,959 of 6,388
I ordered mine on the 19th and am dying to get a hold of them. I am so impatient when it comes to waiting for mail.

my current cans are broken and sound only comes out of the left ear, I can't wait to start listening to music properly again!

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #1,961 of 6,388
Mad Dogs are winners because:

#Most natural sound presentation I've heard out of a closed headphone. Very close if not as good as the HD650s.
#Very comfortable.

#THEY ARE CLOSED

Seriously a closed headphone sounding this natural is out of this world practical. Especially if you have kids, or roommates or whatever.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #1,962 of 6,388

#Most natural sound presentation I've heard out of a closed headphone. Very close if not as good as the HD650s.
#Very comfortable.

#THEY ARE CLOSED

Seriously a closed headphone sounding this natural is out of this world practical. Especially if you have kids, or roommates or whatever.

Or work collegues.

I intend o buy them not only to use them at home but also at work, and surely a closed headphone is much more logical in this situation since I share a room with other 4 people where I work.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #1,963 of 6,388
Quote:
Or work collegues.
I intend o buy them not only to use them at home but also at work, and surely a closed headphone is much more logical in this situation since I share a room with other 4 people where I work.

I think they will be fantastic for work. 

You know you could use the HE-400, or HD650 but only if you have your own office. Just the fact that the MDs are closed make them a better headphone than something like the lcd2 for instance. 

I'm going to buy an open headphone, but I'm sure I'll only be able to listen to them for a couple of hours a week max.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #1,964 of 6,388
Quote:

#Very comfortable.

#THEY ARE CLOSED

+1 I guess there are some situations where it doesn't matter if you use open hp's. But natural sounding hp's that are closed and isolate well are a huge bonus. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #1,965 of 6,388
Quote:
Or work collegues.

Yup!
Cowon C2 (64gb microSD, on Shuffle mode) + Leckerton UHA-6SMKII + Mad Dogs == Bliss

Makes dull work days passable! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back