"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Nov 13, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #1,771 of 6,388
Quote:
I can say (having compared both) that neither is "the better version". They have their own sonic character. However, comfort wise, I found the Dog Pads to be the better one. YMMV.

If only I can own both version.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the reply, but you haven't really given me any insight regarding what the actual differences in sonic character are. Any further explanation would be greatly appreciated!

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #1,772 of 6,388
Quote:

Thanks for the reply, but you haven't really given me any insight regarding what the actual differences in sonic character are. Any further explanation would be greatly appreciated!

I'll be digging from memory. I found the Shure pad (SP) had a forward / brighter midrange than the Dog Pads version (DP). Though darker / a little laid back, the DP have improved bass section, both body and punch.

IMHO, the DP is a more all rounder than the SP.

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #1,773 of 6,388
Quote:
I'll be digging from memory. I found the Shure pad (SP) had a forward / brighter midrange than the Dog Pads version (DP). Though darker / a little laid back, the DP have improved bass section, both body and punch.

IMHO, the DP is a more all rounder than the SP.

^^ This is pretty much it. Darker, laid back with better body and punch...well said!!

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #1,776 of 6,388
It's referring to the upper mids and treble response. Since the bass response is elevated compared to the older pads, the higher frequencies are less prominent in the mix and the sound is a bit "laid back". it's not referring to the bass impact, which is improved with the dog pads.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #1,777 of 6,388
Quote:
What is "laid back" referring to? Because, "more laid back but with more punch" confuses me, sounds like a contradiction of terms.  :wink:

Laid-back means less attack/'shout'/forwardness in the upper mids, while punch usually means an emphasis in the midbass I'd say.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #1,778 of 6,388
Quote:
What is "laid back" referring to? Because, "more laid back but with more punch" confuses me, sounds like a contradiction of terms.  :wink:

LCfiner & jerg explained it correctly. I wrote the impression while opening "Describing Sound Glossary". Sorry if I made you confused.

Nov 13, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #1,779 of 6,388
I have a question for Mr. Speaker,

I couldn't find in your website any information about warranty beyond the 15 day satisfaction guarantee. I know it's a modded product, but I was wondering if there was any kind of warranty for part/labor, if I happen to get faulty piece. I know that you have a very strict quality control but even so problem may happen, and since I'm by no means a modder or anything, I would feel a bit unsettling to buy something without any kind of assistance.

I don't realy mind to have to pay to have them fixed in the case of necessity, but I would like to know if there is any oficial costumer service for your products. I don't live in the US, so things like that are a bit of a concearn to me when I have to buy something from smaller manufacturers.

I was looking for a closed headphone to replace my k550 that became a present for my dad, and let's say that this topic caught my attention. I never heard any planar magnetic headphone, but I read they are usualy not easy to drive but, as far as I could read here and in your website something like an asgard or a leckerton UHA-6S mkii would be enough to drive them decently, right?

Thanks in advance

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #1,780 of 6,388
Do you guys think this additional laid back character with the dog pads will cause vocals to sound more distant or lost in the mix? I'd still like them to sound distinct and powerful, if that makes sense. Furthermore, I usually hear "laid back" when describing headphones that are a little "slower", but the dog pads actually improve the transient response, so it's definitely an interesting choice of words for me. 

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #1,782 of 6,388
Quote:
Agree or Disagree:

Post #126

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633956/the-t50rp-paradox-review-mini-tour-impressions/126

Nah, I don't disagree with you I just thought this was a golden opportunity to use that gif response.
I can't comment on the comparisons to the BMF or the Paradox, as I have never had the chance to hear either of them, but your impressions of the Mad Dogs do seem consistent with what I heard.

Carry on.

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #1,783 of 6,388
Quote:
Do you guys think this additional laid back character with the dog pads will cause vocals to sound more distant or lost in the mix? I'd still like them to sound distinct and powerful, if that makes sense. Furthermore, I usually hear "laid back" when describing headphones that are a little "slower", but the dog pads actually improve the transient response, so it's definitely an interesting choice of words for me. 

I think that depends on the recording. But generally, no, the vocals are still special but not as forward as with the Shure pads. As for speed, I think PRaT is still good though not on the level of HD25-1. YMMV.

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #1,785 of 6,388
I have the right angle Neutrik plug in my Mad Dogs, and the opening on the cup didn't need to be enlarged anywhere close to the 1.5mm difference you mentioned. It took just a small amount of enlarging with a #11 X-acto knife, and I would estimate that I opened up the hole just 0.3 mm.

A few pages back in this thread I posted a close-up photo of this plug inserted into the Mad Dog ear cup.

Quote:
Speaking of cables, I read at Fostex website that they now have a replacement cable for the T50RP that's more suited for portable use. Cable length is 1 meter and terminate to a 1/8" straight plug, while the other end is the same angled plug.
[/I]
As for DIY cables, Neutrik plugs won't fit into the cup. The diameter of the outer hole on the cup is about 7mm, while the plug's housing is about 8.5mm. A friend suggested to use Oyaide plugs, though I've not tested it yet to be sure.
--edit: added link to the website & details from the website

Users who are viewing this thread

Back