"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Nov 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #1,801 of 6,388
Quote:

He sends out alerts on twitter when he has a return up for sale.  @MrSpeakers I believe.

Exactly.  I don't get many returns, but this is what I do with them (or cosmetic seconds).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #1,802 of 6,388
Been Listening to the Mad Dogs with Dog Pads these past few days... they are definitely keepers!!!! Thanks Dan for the quick work on them and for including the V-Moda cable also!!!!

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #1,803 of 6,388
Quote:
Been Listening to the Mad Dogs with Dog Pads these past few days... they are definitely keepers!!!! Thanks Dan for the quick work on them and for including the V-Moda cable also!!!!

Most welcome.  
beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #1,805 of 6,388
Shipping is about $18 to $45, depending on speed of service.  $18 has no time specified for delivery.  Exact price is set when you purchase, or you can get an estimate before checkout.

The headphones include both the stock 10' 1/4" jack cable and a 6' 1/8" cable.

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #1,807 of 6,388
Quote:
I have a question for Mr. Speaker,

I couldn't find in your website any information about warranty beyond the 15 day satisfaction guarantee. I know it's a modded product, but I was wondering if there was any kind of warranty for part/labor, if I happen to get faulty piece. I know that you have a very strict quality control but even so problem may happen, and since I'm by no means a modder or anything, I would feel a bit unsettling to buy something without any kind of assistance.

I don't realy mind to have to pay to have them fixed in the case of necessity, but I would like to know if there is any oficial costumer service for your products. I don't live in the US, so things like that are a bit of a concearn to me when I have to buy something from smaller manufacturers.

I was looking for a closed headphone to replace my k550 that became a present for my dad, and let's say that this topic caught my attention. I never heard any planar magnetic headphone, but I read they are usualy not easy to drive but, as far as I could read here and in your website something like an asgard or a leckerton UHA-6S mkii would be enough to drive them decently, right?

Thanks in advance

Hi...  I offer a 1 year warranty on parts and labor.  

D

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #1,810 of 6,388
Refurb'd pair available: http://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56
I'd pick it up if I had about $10 more dollars and black Friday wasn't next week... :/

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #1,813 of 6,388
So I've had my Mad Dogs for almost two weeks now. I have to admit I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with them, but I think it might be more due to the chain and source than the headphones themselves. I'm listening to 256kb mp3s from iTunes on a MacBook Pro through a HeadRoom Total Air Head on high gain. What I notice most of all is what I'd call a veiled sound (which varies from recording to recording, but never quite disappears even when the MD's are almost gorgeously transparent). I also notice the music sounding distant, especially in the mid-range and vocals now and again. What strikes me most is that the distance and veiled sense reduce (and sometimes almost disappear) as I turn up the volume. The problem is that I often need to crank up the volume to push past some of the problems. Does anyone else have this type of experience with these headphones? Do you tend to feel that these headphones have a tendency to be veiled and/or distant or more likely do I have a deficiency in my chain driving the headphone?

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #1,814 of 6,388
So I've had my Mad Dogs for almost two weeks now. I have to admit I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with them, but I think it might be more due to the chain and source than the headphones themselves. I'm listening to 256kb mp3s from iTunes on a MacBook Pro through a HeadRoom Total Air Head on high gain. What I notice most of all is what I'd call a veiled sound (which varies from recording to recording, but never quite disappears even when the MD's are almost gorgeously transparent). I also notice the music sounding distant, especially in the mid-range and vocals now and again. What strikes me most is that the distance and veiled sense reduce (and sometimes almost disappear) as I turn up the volume. The problem is that I often need to crank up the volume to push past some of the problems. Does anyone else have this type of experience with these headphones? Do you tend to feel that these headphones have a tendency to be veiled and/or distant or more likely do I have a deficiency in my chain driving the headphone?

Maybe try listening to lossless instead?

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #1,815 of 6,388
Quote:

This could be due to a few factors:

1. I've only heard that amp a few times, and I don't believe it was a super powerful amp
2. I don't think you have such a great source running (trying to put apple bashing aside :)   ) 
3. It very well could be some of those songs are just downright poorly recorded, and the MD are revealing that.

Best troubleshooting advice I can give is to try to find something else that has a decent headphone amp built into it. Try a home receiver and see how they sound with that.

Quote:
Maybe try listening to lossless instead?

mp3 vs flac is only a nuance of a difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back