"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Nov 10, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #1,743 of 6,388

Here are my impressions of the MD's with a little comparison of the he400 thrown in for good measure...
biggrin.gif

Maddog vs He400

I have owned several modded versions of the t50rp including the lastest bmf variant, Rastapants 2 and my own feeble attempt. The truth of the matter with the t50rp is that there is magic in this hp when put into the hands of the right modder. Of this, there is no question. I didn’t set out to purchase the MD to do a comparison with the he400, but after listening to them for about an hour I knew that it must be done.

Maddog initial impressions:
The product comes very well packaged in a double box. USPS box inside of smaller box containing the hp. It’s a nice touch and good to know that these hp’s will arrive safely without question. The version that I ordered included the “dog pads” and “comfort strap”. The website says there are also dual cables included. The original stock mogami with 1/4 “ adapter and a V-Moda cable with 1/8” adapter. Mine did not come with the v-moda cable but Dan replied quickly when I pm’ed him and said that he’d ship one right out. The dual cable would be advantageous for me as I’d like to be able to use these from my portable setup from time to time.

After making a quick adjustment to the headband for fit, I settled these MD’s on to give them a good listen. The first thing you notice with the MD is the comfort. I was blown away at just how comfortable these hp’s are. I had made a headband mod on my old pair that took the pressure point off the top of the head and moved it to the left and right side, ala hd650 pad. Well, the MD is infinitely more comfortable than that. The leather strap allows the stap to stay just barely “suspended” below the headband and is honestly as comfortable on the top of the head as any hp that I’ve tried. The next thing you notice is the new dog pads. They are very very close to my old d5k pads in terms of feel and comfort…plush and supple and very nice on the ears. The overall comfort of the MD after an hour is simply outstanding. An hour of listening is usually a good indicator for how comfortable any headphone will be in the long run for me. The MD does not disappoint here.
So how do they sound? Let’s get right to it then. I have heard lots of variations of this t50rp so I was very interested in seeing what Dan had been able to do.  Let me address the bass first. It’s deep and textured and very well-tuned to the rest of the spectrum. Actually it’s quite comparable to the he400 bass. I may call myself having wanted a touch more bass when I first put these on, but after listening for an hour I’d say that the mid bass hump is nearly non-existent and the sub bass in an impressive feature of these hp’s. Head to head against the he400, it’s a very close contest. If I were really pushed to choose one or the other or declare a winner, I’d pick the he400’s bass by nat’s eyelash. It might be the larger driver or the heavier magnet…not sure. But there just seem to be a touch more refinement and texture to the he400 sub bass. But it’s about as close as it can get.

The sound stage on the MD is quite decent for a closed hp. No, it’s not nearly as good as the he400 which sounds nearly holographic in its presentation. But this is a closed hp and the tradeoff for decreased sound stage is very nice isolation. The MD does this well.  If isolation is your thing, then look no further.

The mids are silky smooth and effortless.  The planar sound is very apparent here. Vocals and particularly female voices are reproduced with aplomb. They are natural and very enjoyable.

I found the treble as well as the mids a touch on the dark side. This is in agreement with other modded t50rp variations that I’ve heard. Please don’t misunderstand. It’s a very elegant “dark with detail” presentation akin to what you’d hear with an lcd2r2 product. The treble extends well and is accurate. This is not what you’d classify as a bright headphone.
When I look at what Dan has done with the MD, it’s an impressive feat indeed. The bottom line is that this is an incredibly enjoyable hp to listen to. It’s a good all-rounder and doesn’t have a real weak spot.

Nitpicking

I had one variation of the t50rp with Stax o2 pads and they were luxurious in every sense of the word. Better than the dog pads? Probably, yes. But hey, they were also more expensive at $115.  I wonder if they would further improve on the MD. The leather on the Stax is thicker and feels more durable. The Stax also seems to have a touch more padding and extends the cup further from the ear.  The lambskin leather on the MD is soft and supple but very different than the Stax, kind of an opposite approach. Overall I’d say that I’d prefer then Stax pads given the price of the dog pad is $70 to existing customers only. For only $45 you could have the Stax but I don’t know how it would affect the sound of the hp for better or for worse.

Conclusion, Wrap Up and Final Comparisons

Amping is always a consideration when it comes to orthos. So with the MD, I find a wonderful pairing with the lyr. The MD with their magic dampening and acoustics materials take quite a bit of juice to bring out the dynamics. They remind me somewhat of the hd650 with regard to amping. On my fiio e17, they just don’t shine. On the e09 they are quite decent. But on the lyr, they are truly impressive.
This is how I see it. There is no denying that the MD is an incredible product. Then consider the level of sound quality that they are able to achieve at a price point $100 less than the he400. Then also consider that the MD is one of the most comfortable hp’s on the planet. Honestly, its compelling from all angles. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #1,744 of 6,388
Nice impressions, Matt. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,745 of 6,388
MattTCG - You quite eloquently stated a very good summary of these phones, I really agree.  I also think it is hard to put into words "dark" in terms of these headphones.  The term can have negative connotations, but it is not a negative description of these phones.  It seems more to me that the detail rises out of a black background to just the right level, rather than leaping off a white page to grab your attention.

I had traded a couple of PM's with Dan regarding any slight modification to the pads, as I initially felt they could be a touch further from my ears for comfort reasons.  He felt the sound tuning was heavily reliant on the pads as is.  I've gotten used to them, and find them very comfortable.  I think elsewhere in this thread there is some conversation about the stax pads, with Dan recommending specifically against it for the same reasons.  None the less, if one had a pair laying around and the desire to experiment....

Anyway, back to the subject at hand - a very nice review, and from my perspective, very accurate description of these headphones.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #1,746 of 6,388
Nice impressions Matt!

You know that a headphone mod is well done when there's a consensus regards to the sound and comfort from mostly everyone! :wink: So hats off to Dan! In the meantime, waiting for my dogs to arrive!

w00t!

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #1,747 of 6,388
Quote:
MattTCG said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
On my fiio e17, they just don’t shine.

Can you elaborate on this a bit further? I sold my Lyr recently (as you probably know) and just kept my portable setup (E17 + DT1350s/Z1000). Was thinking about adding either the Mad Dogs or Sig Pro, but not planning on buying another desktop rig (at least I'm trying not to). Are the Mad Dogs on the E17 just a terrible combo? I'm leaning toward the Sig Pro just because of amping. I'm also thinking about getting the National + Mad Dogs, if that will take care of the issue.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

Thanks.

(I can't seem to quit this hobby even after selling all my gear...
angry_face.gif
 I keep coming back to Head-Fi like an addict...)

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #1,748 of 6,388
I was terribly close to purchasing the Mad dog a few weeks ago but ended up going for the HE-400. For the most part i feel satisfied with my decision, but not so much after reading your impressions Matt! Very well put. I really need to get a one of these headphones, that way i have all bases covered. HE-400 for those times when i have privacy, and MD for when i need isolation.

But the import duties and taxes are really off-putting, not to mention shipping costs from the US.

Nov 10, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,752 of 6,388
Quote:
I was terribly close to purchasing the Mad dog a few weeks ago but ended up going for the HE-400. For the most part i feel satisfied with my decision, but not so much after reading your impressions Matt! Very well put. I really need to get a one of these headphones, that way i have all bases covered. HE-400 for those times when i have privacy, and MD for when i need isolation.

But the import duties and taxes are really off-putting, not to mention shipping costs from the US.

I am pleased to say I've ordered a new external box that replaces the flat rate shipping box and it will reduce the postage considerably.  The boxes arrived last night, and effective immediately the system is updated to support the new box.  Prices vary a bit by destination, but roughly International shipping can be as low as $18 for First Class mail, $39 for Priority (6-10 days), or $45 for Express (3-5 days).  For those who can take the time, International first class may be a good option. The USPS doesn't quote delivery times, and I haven't tried this service, so I can only assume it's 9 days plus...  

For Priority Mail, US shipping is now less expensive as well.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #1,753 of 6,388
Another sign of outstanding customer service provided by MrSpeakers.  Looking forward to buying a set as a Christmas gift for myself.
Quote:

I am pleased to say I've ordered a new external box that replaces the flat rate shipping box and it will reduce the postage considerably.  The boxes arrived last night, and effective immediately the system is updated to support the new box.  Prices vary a bit by destination, but roughly International shipping can be as low as $18 for First Class mail, $39 for Priority (6-10 days), or $45 for Express (3-5 days).  For those who can take the time, International first class may be a good option. The USPS doesn't quote delivery times, and I haven't tried this service, so I can only assume it's 9 days plus...  

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #1,754 of 6,388
Quote:

I've also stumbled upon the option of "regional" Priority Mail boxes from the USPS.  These boxes can't be obtained at the post office, but one can order them on-line, for no charge and the USPS will be able to deliver them to you.  No sense in paying $11.00 in flat rate priority mail shipping, plus insurance, if you can use a "regional" or "zone" priority mail box and save a few bucks here and there.  After a while, it can really add up.  I know, myself, I've been a very happy camper using the USPS over the past few years.   Their shipping has been great and the items arrive quite quick to their destination.  The cost is less than UPS or FedEx Home, or Ground service, too.  I did have to make a claim due to a bit of shipping damage to an item, but since I had insurance, I sent in the pictures of the damage to St. Louis, and within one week, I had the check that covered the damages in my hand.  To me, that was excellent service on their behalf.  I do believe that they are trying harder from a customer service, speed, and cost effective shipping provider.

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #1,755 of 6,388
I ordered the MadDogs + Dog Pads last night, even though I have pre-ordered the M100 some time back. I...just...couldn't.....control......myself...they sound so good! I also want to thank Dan for his quick responses to some queries I had.

Now I need some suggestions for a portable rig as I plan to use the MadDogs while traveling. I feel my Rocoo P DAP drives them pretty adequately, but I need a good portable amp for my Galaxy S3. I have the iBasso DZero and its clearly lacking the juice. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back